Best/Worst Movies of 2019

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:20 am

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME

The official end of Phase 3 for the MCU went out with a bang. This is a very worthy follow-up to 2017's SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING. I really enjoyed Jake Gyllenhaal's performance as Quentin Beck/Mysterio. His charisma oozes through every scene he's in. Zendaya is a good Mary Jane, but after 2 movies, I'm still unsure how I feel about her "awkward" take on the character. The movie is probably best served when Peter and Ned (Jacob Batalon) are bantering back-and-forth (or Peter and Happy for that matter). The movie clocks in at a little over 2 hours but it doesn't drag and the pacing and action keep you entertained throughout. Just as good, if not better than HOMECOMING. 7/10
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:50 pm

MIDSOMMAR

A lot to unpack with this one. It took me some time after watching it to really absorb it. And while it's definitely original and in some parts, a little "out there," I did overall enjoy it. Not as good as HEREDITARY in my opinion but a better follow-up than say Jordan Peele's US after GET OUT. This will probably not be for everybody so I'll say if you enjoyed HEREDITARY, you should enjoy this as well. And don't fear the runtime of 2 hours and 27 minutes. The story keeps you hooked throughout, wondering what'll happen next that you won't notice it. 7.5/10
User avatar
35mmpaul
Art Expert
Posts: 8132
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: NYC

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:09 pm

it drags in many spots.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
User avatar
deancc
Art Expert
Posts: 3376
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Australia

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:30 am

PARASITE... so great. I think my favourite from Bong Joon-Ho (but Mother is pretty close). Like many are touting, it's kind of a masterpiece.

Highly recommend NOT watching the trailer first.
Image
User avatar
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:04 pm
Location: DALLAS

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:06 am

deancc wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:30 am
PARASITE... so great. I think my favourite from Bong Joon-Ho (but Mother is pretty close). Like many are touting, it's kind of a masterpiece.

Highly recommend NOT watching the trailer first.
Cannot wait to see this, easily my most anticipated film this year.

I don’t understand how anyone can willingly watch trailers anymore, I’ve had way too many movies actually spoiled because of them (some the week before I watched them because the trailer ran before a different movie and the little arthouse theaters around here only play trailers for stuff they have coming up)

Saw Midsommar last night, thought it was great. Like, really great.
User avatar
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert
Posts: 6596
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: Houston

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:53 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:06 am
deancc wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:30 am
PARASITE... so great. I think my favourite from Bong Joon-Ho (but Mother is pretty close). Like many are touting, it's kind of a masterpiece.

Highly recommend NOT watching the trailer first.
Cannot wait to see this, easily my most anticipated film this year.

I don’t understand how anyone can willingly watch trailers anymore, I’ve had way too many movies actually spoiled because of them (some the week before I watched them because the trailer ran before a different movie and the little arthouse theaters around here only play trailers for stuff they have coming up)

Saw Midsommar last night, thought it was great. Like, really great.
Same on Parasite, same on trailers, and same on Midsommar. I try to avoid trailers if at all possible, and I generally hit the restroom during previews at the theater to try to avoid whatever I can.
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
Posts: 18000
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:07 am

Going to see Spider-Man tomorrow and Hereditary 2 : Midsommar on Wednesday. Midsommar looks more of the same from Ari so there’s probably going to be some fine acting and great dramatic beats mixed in with a lot of really dumb, shocking fudge. A lot of people are touting Ari as the next big thing in horror and I just don’t get it. Maybe hereditary 2 will change my mind.


Also saw Toy Story 4. I didn’t think it was needed especially with how perfect TS3 and the ending were but I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
User avatar
35mmpaul
Art Expert
Posts: 8132
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: NYC

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:52 am

i luv forky.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
User avatar
DonPiano
Art Expert
Posts: 8379
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Perth, Nowhere Australia.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:27 pm

Savage Youth is really good. Up there as being one of my favourites of the year.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group


Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:38 am

STUBER

A decent buddy comedy. Bautista is known for his awkwardness and comedy and this further displays it (glad he's been able to transition from wrestling so successfully). Kumail Nanjiani is a great partner and while I found the film mildly funny, the rest is pretty forgettable. A nice (surprise, at least to me) cameo to open up the film (without spoiling it, someone who Bautista's worked with a few times before). This is definitely a pass in the theaters. Catch it at Redbox or when it's available to stream. 5.5/10
User avatar
DonPiano
Art Expert
Posts: 8379
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Perth, Nowhere Australia.

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Had a local film festival run recently and caught a wealth of great films. Here's a small handful that I highly recommend seeking out:

Monos - visually brilliant, superb performances, and edge of your seat tension.
Chained for Life - funny, dark, superbly written and performed.
Aquarela - one of the most overwhelming visual films I've seen. Superb stuff on the big screen. Well worth your time.
Savage Youth - probably one of the best films I'll see this year. Like a more digestible version of Larry Clark and Harmony Korine.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group


Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:53 pm

THE LION KING

In the same vein as the other Disney adaptations. If you liked any of them or the animated version of this, you're going to like the movie. I'm really happy they got James Earl Jones back to voice Mufasa but was disappointed they didn't get Jeremy Irons back for Scar (his menacing voice was definitely missing and no offense to Chiwetel Ejiofor, but I just felt his version of Scar wasn't evil enough for this villain). My favorite characters/actors were either John Oliver as Zazu or Seth Rogen as Pumbaa. And as always, the CGI and special FX are top notch. They did a really wonderful job bringing these characters to life! 6/10
User avatar
Philpenn
Art Expert
Posts: 3649
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 am
Location: Keystone Country.

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:01 am

^^ Is it just the same exact movie as before but CGI instead of animation, or did they change the story some?
User avatar
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert
Posts: 6596
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: Houston

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:47 am

Irishman12 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:53 pm
THE LION KING

In the same vein as the other Disney adaptations. If you liked any of them or the animated version of this, you're going to like the movie. I'm really happy they got James Earl Jones back to voice Mufasa but was disappointed they didn't get Jeremy Irons back for Scar (his menacing voice was definitely missing and no offense to Chiwetel Ejiofor, but I just felt his version of Scar wasn't evil enough for this villain). My favorite characters/actors were either John Oliver as Zazu or Seth Rogen as Pumbaa. And as always, the CGI and special FX are top notch. They did a really wonderful job bringing these characters to life! 6/10
For real? I've been seeing that if you're a fan of the animated version, this comes off as very poor. Guess i need to see for myself if i want to know that.
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:04 pm

Philpenn wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:01 am
^^ Is it just the same exact movie as before but CGI instead of animation, or did they change the story some?

I haven't seen the animated movie in years but I'd say it's pretty close to the animated. Maybe not a shot-for-shot remake, but close.
Post Reply