Best/Worst Movies of 2019

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2019 1:40 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Watched Long Day's Journey Into Night this morning and I liked it, just not sure how much yet... Still trying to make sense of it (that's a good thing- I dig movies that are smarter than me.) If you liked Kaili Blues or Tarkovsky's Stalker, I definitely recommend it. Unfortunately, it wasn't screened in a theater for Houston critics and I had to watch it at home, missing out on the 3D during the 59 minute tracking shot. While missing 3D on a typical film wouldn't make a big difference, I fear that it probably does in this case. Gonna catch it this weekend on the big screen.
Is Houston getting a 3D screening? Looks like the Dallas showings aren’t, and the site only says:
NOTE: This film is also playing in 3D in the following cities; click on theatre name for 3D showtimes and tickets:
Berkeley, CA: California Theatre
Bethesda, MD: Bethesda Row Cinema
Los Angeles, CA: The Landmark
I’m bummed. I really wanted the full experience.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue May 07, 2019 2:06 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:Watched Long Day's Journey Into Night this morning and I liked it, just not sure how much yet... Still trying to make sense of it (that's a good thing- I dig movies that are smarter than me.) If you liked Kaili Blues or Tarkovsky's Stalker, I definitely recommend it. Unfortunately, it wasn't screened in a theater for Houston critics and I had to watch it at home, missing out on the 3D during the 59 minute tracking shot. While missing 3D on a typical film wouldn't make a big difference, I fear that it probably does in this case. Gonna catch it this weekend on the big screen.
Is Houston getting a 3D screening? Looks like the Dallas showings aren’t, and the site only says
The rep from Kino Lorber stated "it's a big one for Houston, especially with the large Chinese community" but it's only screening at one theater, AMC 30, and only for a week.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue May 07, 2019 2:12 pm

Another recommendation: If you liked Birds of Passage and Embrace of the Serpent, but haven't seen Ciro Guerra's first two films, Wandering Shadows and The Wind Journeys, check them out! The Wind Journeys is now playing on Kanopy and its fantastic. It's also a great companion film to Birds of Passage (they both feature the Wayuu tribe).

Wandering Shadows is on Youtube but there's no English subtitles. I watched it and had Claudia live-translate the entire thing (fortunately, it isn't dialogue-heavy). Guerra is one of my favorite living filmmakers.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2019 2:58 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:
Is Houston getting a 3D screening? Looks like the Dallas showings aren’t, and the site only says
The rep from Kino Lorber stated "it's a big one for Houston, especially with the large Chinese community" but it's only screening at one theater, AMC 30, and only for a week.
Well I’m crazy jealous; I loved the flick, and also saw it sans 3D and feel like I’m missing out.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue May 07, 2019 3:57 pm

^
Road trip! 8)

Hopefully your screenings end up being 3D. Perhaps with the message at the beginning of the movie, "This is not a 3D film, but put on the glasses when the character does..." (or something to that effect), they're not advertising it as 3D.

I keep thinking about it and I definitely liked it a lot too. Might take another plunge tonight. I'll report back after seeing the 3D version on the big screen. (If it is indeed 3D. I figure it is, but not 100% sure.)
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2019 4:20 pm

If it was guaranteed to be a 3D screening, and I wasn’t already hitting 5 shows in 8 days, I would honestly consider driving down. Hopefully it’ll get a 3D home release at some point. Even without the 3D that last long shot is amazing, I’ve watched it a few times now and am more impressed with each watch.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue May 07, 2019 6:26 pm

I checked for ya. Sorry I don't have better news.

"It will be in 3D at AMC 30 in Houston and 2D at Landmark Magnolia Theater in Dallas"
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2019 6:32 pm

RottenAtom wrote:I checked for ya. Sorry I don't have better news.

"It will be in 3D at AMC 30 in Houston and 2D at Landmark Magnolia Theater in Dallas"
Well, that’s pretty damn awesome you get a 3D screening. :neutral: :P
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue May 07, 2019 6:38 pm

Thrilled about that, though it isn't the most ideal theater. (Pretty run down and considered "hood" by some people's standards.) Definitely not complaining though.

They need to get a move on with the "Beam Me Up, Scotty" tech.
fredo
Art God

Tue May 07, 2019 7:03 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Also, I had fun with Long Shot .
Seth Rogan character snags a 10...again! This madness must stop.
just a foil for me today, thanks
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue May 07, 2019 7:06 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sat May 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Here's my Long Day's Journey Into Night review with my thoughts on the 3D. I was the only one in the theater. Great experience.

http://www.nerdlocker.com/movies/nerdlo ... into-night
fredo
Art God

Sun May 12, 2019 11:12 pm

Your writing has improved over time (not snark) but these read more like technical analyses than criticism - also meta ("some may not like x or y becasue they don't like 3 or 4"). Suppose a nerdlocker-esque site may be after just that, but to me an interesting review needs to talk about the films/performances on their own terms/merits. You gotta get in there...imo

ps From the local arthouse mailing list. File under: I'd rather drymounting die.

Gloria is a free-spirited divorcee who spends her days at a straight-laced office job and her nights on the dance floor, joyfully letting loose at clubs around Los Angeles. After meeting Arnold on a night out, she suddenly finds herself thrust into an unexpected new romance, filled with both the joys of budding love and the complications of dating, identity, and family. From Academy Award winning director Sebastián Lelio comes a sophisticated romantic comedy that shows love can strike at any time, relationships are never simple, and nothing can get you down as long as you keep dancing. Starring Julianne Moore
just a foil for me today, thanks
deancc
Art Expert

Mon May 13, 2019 5:20 am

fredo wrote:ps From the local arthouse mailing list. File under: I'd rather drymounting die.

Gloria is a free-spirited divorcee who spends her days at a straight-laced office job and her nights on the dance floor, joyfully letting loose at clubs around Los Angeles. After meeting Arnold on a night out, she suddenly finds herself thrust into an unexpected new romance, filled with both the joys of budding love and the complications of dating, identity, and family. From Academy Award winning director Sebastián Lelio comes a sophisticated romantic comedy that shows love can strike at any time, relationships are never simple, and nothing can get you down as long as you keep dancing. Starring Julianne Moore
I'm kinda interested to see Gloria Bell. Lelio's original Gloria was good - I don't know why he needed to remake it. But his others that I've seen (Disobedience and A Fantastic Woman), were really great.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon May 13, 2019 11:59 am

Also don't know exactly why he needed to remake his own film, which was great on its own merit. He said in a podcast that he was asked to meet with Julianne Moore and that they somehow came on the topic of remaking the movie, and she said "I wouldn't do it with you" and he said the same for her and they decided to make it. :neutral: