Best/Worst Movies of 2019

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:17 pm

SERENITY

This movie is a mess from the jump. For almost the first act I was under the impression I was the victim of a bait-and-switch as the story shown during the previews (you know, Anne Hathaway trying to hire Matthew McConaughey to kill her abusive husband), was nowhere to be found. No, the entire first act subjects us to watch Matthew McConaughey miss out a few times on the big fish he's trying to catch, while simultaneously sleeping with Diane Lane. Almost to the point of feeling scammed, the story finally does pick up where it promised it would lead us. And in doing so, especially with the "big twist" in the script, this managed to pinch out one big, steamy pile of dog crap. The twist was completely out of left field and totally lame. I'm very disappointed in both Anne Hathaway and Matthew McConaughey as they're both Oscar winners and better than this. I wouldn't even advise a viewing of this when it comes to streaming or HBO. Hard pass! 3/10
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:56 pm

I cannot wait to see that dumpster fire. Looks incredible.

Ps get a drymounting blog already
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:03 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:Just hoping I finally get to see The man who killed Don Quixote this year.
Yes! I was one of the few who skipped Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis in attendance to see it, and I'm glad I did. Can't wait to see it again :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:05 pm

DonPiano wrote:The Kid Who Would Be King is really solid fun. Go see it.
Had a blast with this. Been on a spree of King Arthur films ever since. My review:

http://www.nerdlocker.com/movies/movie- ... ld-be-king
jpicken
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:11 am

DonPiano wrote:The Kid Who Would Be King is really solid fun. Go see it.
Really enjoyed this.
ImageX5
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:44 pm

Caught an early screening of How to Train your Dragon: The Hidden World this afternoon. Top notch family entertainment; looks absolutely incredible as well!

Only getting a release here now, though technically a 2018 release in really limited markets, but caught Capernaum last night. Was a heartbreaking watch, but was also drymounting great. Going to catch Never Look Away the week after next and for the first time in probably a decade I’ll have seen all the best foreign film noms in the theater.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:09 pm

The Kid Who Would Be King was fun. Would reccomend if you enjoyed Attack the Block.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
DonPiano
Art Expert

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:40 am

Cold Pursuit is absolutely brilliant and is easily the best of the 'Liam Neeson killing people while looking morose' films.

Has one of the finest comedic punchline endings ever.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:31 am

Free Solo was fantastic. It has easily jumped to the top of my 2018. Seek this film out.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:35 pm

DonPiano wrote:Cold Pursuit is absolutely brilliant and is easily the best of the 'Liam Neeson killing people while looking morose' films.

Has one of the finest comedic punchline endings ever.
Glad to hear it! Seeing it night and looking forward to it.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:27 pm

COLD PURSUIT

Liam Neeson is back at it again. Glad to see him still kicking ass at 66. Seriously, can everyone stop messing with this mans family because for those that do, they get dealt with. A humorous and at times bloody tale about a father who tracks down the people responsible for his sons death. I honestly enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would; however, the whole subplot in regards to White Bull and the Native Americans could have been scrapped and the film would have been tighter by about 20+ minutes. 6.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:34 pm

ST. AGATHA

Yes, I was torn whether or not to see this and while I was going to pass on it, I did see some (surprisingly) good reviews for it. There were some other not so favorable reviews as well and I fall in to that category. Where to begin? The film isn't so much a mess as they do flashbacks every so often to help fill in the gaps (although one character who's referenced twice was never made clear who she was but anyway). The film follows Mary, later renamed Agatha, in the convent she's run away to while pregnant in 1950's Georgia. Carolyn Hennesy does her best Nurse Ratched impression as Mother Superior and she's really the only redeeming part of the film. The "big reveal" at the end wasn't as surprising as you'd think as everything is pretty noticeable before it's reveled (although I went in a somewhat different way with the ending which I felt would have played better). This didn't get much marketing and for good reason. 4/10

THE PRODIGY

What I originally intended on seeing was this so I made it a double feature. I'm typically not a huge fan of child actors (they annoy me for some reason) but Jackson Robert Scott really gives a creepy and enjoyable performance. The movie was and wasn't what I thought it was going to be from the previews (without spoiling too much) but I did somewhat enjoy the boldness the film took with the story. A few jump scares but overall, again, you mostly see everything coming. A pass for theaters but might not be bad to catch via streaming. 5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:46 pm

ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL

From the previews, I was looking forward to this. Visually it's beautiful, but that's about it. The story and the world they created I just couldn't get myself in to and quite frankly, I was a little bored with it about midway through. A waste of talent including both Mahershala Ali and Jennifer Connelly (both of whom I'm a fan of) seemed robotic themselves with their performances. Christoph Waltz is his usually charming self and he's enjoyable, as it Rosa Salazar who plays Alita. Overall, disappointing. 6/10
jlabbate
Art Freak

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:37 am

Velvet Buzzsaw was a disappointment...had high hopes for this after enjoying Nightcrawler...wasted opportunity
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:22 pm

jlabbate wrote:Velvet Buzzsaw was a disappointment...had high hopes for this after enjoying Nightcrawler...wasted opportunity
Yup; it was a boring waste of time.