Best/Worst Movies of 2019

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:38 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Also, High Life is drymounting awesome. I really dug it and I'm still thinking about it.
Freaking loved High Life! Got damn!
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:04 am

High Life was too figurative for its own good. But as always Robert Pattinson is turning in a good performance.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
lapislazuli
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:21 pm

By far, best film I've seen so far: Matteo Garrone's Dogman
iwokeinrelief wrote:
howdyall wrote:Again from 2018, but has anyone seen Border? I just stumbled onto it in the last couple of days, but being a Let The Right One In fan, and it having a ridiculously high score on RT (96% fresh), I'm considering checking it out.
I've got it, but haven't checked it out yet. Does look good, it's just part of a massive glut of stuff I need to see. Would be interested in your thoughts if you check it out though, it'll likely be a while before I get to it at my current pace/prioritization without a decent recommendation.
iwokeinrelief wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:i've heard its super weird.
Just moved up a few spots on my list. :P
Cinlabyrinth wrote:Border is amazing! Definitely recommend it.
I'm slacking on 2019 viewing for sure.
Saw it last month and still haven't decided what to think about it.
Weird? Definetely.
iwokeinrelief wrote:Only getting a release here now, though technically a 2018 release in really limited markets, but caught Capernaum last night. Was a heartbreaking watch, but was also drymounting great. Going to catch Never Look Away the week after next and for the first time in probably a decade I’ll have seen all the best foreign film noms in the theater.
iwokeinrelief wrote:
sixstringer wrote:Went out and saw Capernaum last night and I was completely blown away by it. I can't recommend it enough!

Capernaum > Roma and it's not even close imo.
Yeah, it ended a few slots higher than Roma (which ended towards the bottom of my top 10, with Capernaum coming in around 4/5) on my year end list when all was said and done. It really was a great and powerful flick
I LOVED this one.
Also, I really enjoyed Pain and Glory, not amazing but pretty good. Banderas is fantastic. The rest of the ensemble is also very, very good.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:35 pm

^ I'm right there with you on Dogman. One of my 3 or 4 favorites I saw last year for sure. I love Matteo Garrone and how he depicts Italy.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:38 pm

I wish I liked Dogman. Found it exceptionally bland.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:30 pm

People are all over the place on Dogman. I liked it, didn't love it didn't hate it. If you think about it, it's very similar to Friday.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:30 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote: I love Matteo Garrone and how he depicts Italy.
Really? He makes me feel like I never want to visit...
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:17 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
That's why i like it. It's not what we usually see of Italy. I get that Dogman is all over the place, too. Going into it I had already been looking forward to it for quite a while, so I'm sure anticipation helped. Not to mention it was at Fantastic Fest, sometimes that helps a movie feel 'better' when it's at a festival (or at least it seems like it). I liked the whole contrast of the Marcello character being able to soothe, comfort, and take care of scared or scary dogs, but when it comes to a scary person, he cannot. I'd be the total opposite, big, barking dogs terrify me.
lapislazuli
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:35 am

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:
That's why i like it. It's not what we usually see of Italy. [...]
Exactly THIS.

I very often go to the cinema just to escape from reality - and for that I have Mission: Impossible or Avengers.
But I'm really fed up with this whole "mythification" and "idealisation" of places - Rome is more "Dogman" than "The Great Beauty" (and I did love this one as well); Britain is more "I, Daniel Blake" than "Downton Abbey" and so on.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:18 pm

AVENGERS: ENDGAME

So the end has finally come and Marvel went out with a hell of a bang! Maybe the best superhero/comic book movie ever made. The third act was a smorgasbord of visuals and nicely knit storylines that fans will be geeking out over for years to come. Funny, emotional, beautifully shot. There's very little to complain about here. My only gripe would be the 3 hour run-time. I definitely plan on seeing it again in theaters (just going to wait a few weeks for the crowds to die down). And if you haven't done so already or plan on doing so, treat yourself and see it in IMAX! :shock: 9/10
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:23 pm

Cracking up because a dude I went to high school with named Dan has been posting Endgame spoilers and now he's going by the name "Danos" :lol:

(for the record, I'm not cool with spoilers, but the name's funny)
jlabbate
Art Freak

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:17 am

Irishman12 wrote:AVENGERS: ENDGAME

So the end has finally come and Marvel went out with a hell of a bang! Maybe the best superhero/comic book movie ever made. The third act was a smorgasbord of visuals and nicely knit storylines that fans will be geeking out over for years to come. Funny, emotional, beautifully shot. There's very little to complain about here. My only gripe would be the 3 hour run-time. I definitely plan on seeing it again in theaters (just going to wait a few weeks for the crowds to die down). And if you haven't done so already or plan on doing so, treat yourself and see it in IMAX! :shock: 9/10
saw A:E on Saturday..loved the film..satisfying conclusion to the 22 film story arc..3hrs went by in a flash..not as visually stunning as Infinity War, but the comedy made up for it..bears multiple repeat viewings
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:12 am

The Latin Wave film festival takes place in Houston this weekend. My coverage of the fest. (Of interest to foreign film fans.)

http://www.nerdlocker.com/movies/latin-wave14
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue May 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Watched Long Day's Journey Into Night this morning and I liked it, just not sure how much yet... Still trying to make sense of it (that's a good thing- I dig movies that are smarter than me.) If you liked Kaili Blues or Tarkovsky's Stalker, I definitely recommend it. Unfortunately, it wasn't screened in a theater for Houston critics and I had to watch it at home, missing out on the 3D during the 59 minute tracking shot. While missing 3D on a typical film wouldn't make a big difference, I fear that it probably does in this case. Gonna catch it this weekend on the big screen.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue May 07, 2019 1:29 pm

Also, I had fun with Long Shot and Booksmart.

Birds of Passage gets even better on subsequent viewings. One of my favorites this year.