Best/Worst Movies of 2019

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:15 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:Really curious to see how others are going to feel about Under The Silver Lake.
I saw it at Fantastic Fest and really liked it, but I was in the minority. The typical response was "you never go full Southland Tales." I've never seen Southland Tales, so I don't know what that means, but I had fun with UTSL.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:18 pm

Couple I've seen lately; I don't think either are truly 2019 releases on a global perspective, but might as well stick them in this thread.

Under the Silver Lake - David Robert Mitchell's follow up to "It Follows" (which I still have not seen, probably will prioritize in the next two weeks); wow the reviews on this out of the festivals are divided. I see great reviews and I see people stating it was the worst film they saw [at whatever festival they saw it at]. I though this film was awesome. I've got some quibbles over the early pacing, and the unnecessary (at times) almost leering sexuality; but overall I thought this was a blast. Heavily indebted to Lynch, but that's just a plus for me; it's also got a batshit crazy plot, so your enjoyment will really depend on how willing you are to just go with it vs arguing over plot choices. Some absolutely great set pieces and scenes.

Long Day's Journey Into Night - At this point I've given up on this getting any sort of actual showing of this around here - I will absolutely go see it in a heartbeat in the theater if this changes though - and as such the version I saw is basically incomplete, as the entire second half is in 2D (vs the 3D in the theatrical version) though the shots still maintain a good sense of depth through a lot of it. This was spectacular though; very (very very) slow moving, very difficult to follow (which is really intentional on the part of the director; a lot of this is focused on the unreliability of memory and recollection, so that plays a large role in the way the story is told); but - and if you've read any thing about this film you are surely aware - the thing that really elevates and sets this film apart is the last 55 minutes which is one drymounting incredible long shot - no cuts whatsoever; and I had to go back and watch it a second time just to marvel at what an accomplishment that really is based on the level of movement that actually occurs during this section. This is the portion that is also in 3D in the theatrical version. I really hope to get a screening of this around here at any point.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:19 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:Really curious to see how others are going to feel about Under The Silver Lake.
I saw it at Fantastic Fest and really liked it, but I was in the minority. The typical response was "you never go full Southland Tales." I've never seen Southland Tales, so I don't know what that means, but I had fun with UTSL.
It’s definitely not for everyone. It’s Lynchian and it also reminded me of Inherent Vice. The movie is a drymounting mess but it’s a really entertaining mess. A buddy said you’re either going to buy into it and let it take you on the ride or you’re not. It’s definitely going to be an extremely polarizing film.

I wanna see Long Days so bad but I’m bummed it’s not going to be in theaters so I can see the 3-D
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:21 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:Under the Silver Lake - David Robert Mitchell's follow up to "It Follows" (which I still have not seen, probably will prioritize in the next two weeks); wow the reviews on this out of the festivals are divided. I see great reviews and I see people stating it was the worst film they saw [at whatever festival they saw it at]. I though this film was awesome. I've got some quibbles over the early pacing, and the unnecessary (at times) almost leering sexuality; but overall I thought this was a blast. Heavily indebted to Lynch, but that's just a plus for me; it's also got a batshit crazy plot, so your enjoyment will really depend on how willing you are to just go with it vs arguing over plot choices. Some absolutely great set pieces and scenes.
:pint: :clap:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:40 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:
It’s definitely not for everyone. It’s Lynchian and it also reminded me of Inherent Vice. The movie is a drymounting mess but it’s a really entertaining mess. A buddy said you’re either going to buy into it and let it take you on the ride or you’re not. It’s definitely going to be an extremely polarizing film.
I was surprised so many people disliked it. I thought it was a fun trip. Best not to think too much about it and "let it wash over you" as folks say.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:54 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:
I was surprised so many people disliked it. I thought it was a fun trip. Best not to think too much about it and "let it wash over you" as folks say.
Yep, was a lot of fun; the last half of the movie absolutely blew by once it picked up momentum.

Your buddy sounds like a real smart dude rambo.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:03 pm

Debatable Iwoke. DEBATABLE :wink:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:20 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:I wanna see Long Days so bad but I’m bummed it’s not going to be in theaters so I can see the 3-D
Just watch it; it's never coming close to you :wink:
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:15 pm

GRETA

Greta, played by Isabelle Huppert, befriends Frances (Chloë Grace Moretz) when Frances returns Greta's purse she left on a subway. The beginning kind of rushed through the story without really fleshing out the characters. Maybe a third of the way into the film Frances finds out Greta's up to no good and appears to leave these handbags all over the city, waiting for them to be returned. This film is about loneliness and loss, which is why initially both women confide in each other so much. Chloe's work I've somewhat enjoyed in the past but her movies can be hit-or-miss for me. I've been of fan of Maika Monroe's since I saw her in IT FOLLOWS but unfortunately for her, she's completely wasted in this film as Frances' roommate/the voice of reason. The only bright spot in the film is really Huppert who plays a very twisted and unhinged stalker. 5/10
DonPiano
Art Expert

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:03 am

Watched The Wandering Earth last night.

Look, this film is bonkers. But, it's great. It has every trope in the book (there's even an elevator shaft sequence... as the earth is collapsing!) but manages to actually kinda work not so bad. It has flaws if you want to look for them, but if you go in wanting a good time, you'll get it. Just, know you're walking into madness.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:29 am

Went out and saw Capernaum last night and I was completely blown away by it. I can't recommend it enough!

Capernaum > Roma and it's not even close imo.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 am

sixstringer wrote:Went out and saw Capernaum last night and I was completely blown away by it. I can't recommend it enough!

Capernaum > Roma and it's not even close imo.
Yeah, it ended a few slots higher than Roma (which ended towards the bottom of my top 10, with Capernaum coming in around 4/5) on my year end list when all was said and done. It really was a great and powerful flick
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:34 pm

CAPTAIN MARVEL was pretty meh and uneventful. Mid-tier Marvel movie and when comparing female superhero's, I actually give DC the advantage thus far with WONDER WOMAN over this. The 90's nostalgia was overdone and was trying too hard to be cool and retro. Soundtrack at times felt out of place. 6/10
howdyall
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Again from 2018, but has anyone seen Border? I just stumbled onto it in the last couple of days, but being a Let The Right One In fan, and it having a ridiculously high score on RT (96% fresh), I'm considering checking it out.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:44 pm

howdyall wrote:Again from 2018, but has anyone seen Border? I just stumbled onto it in the last couple of days, but being a Let The Right One In fan, and it having a ridiculously high score on RT (96% fresh), I'm considering checking it out.
I've got it, but haven't checked it out yet. Does look good, it's just part of a massive glut of stuff I need to see. Would be interested in your thoughts if you check it out though, it'll likely be a while before I get to it at my current pace/prioritization without a decent recommendation.