True Detective

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:05 pm

I feel like the clarity of what happened to Julie won't be all that climactic.

Assumption: Hoyt's daughter lost her husband and daughter in a car accident. This left her "troubled" as they said in EP7. In an attempt to help his daughter with her grieving, he made a deal with Lucy. When Will went back to look for Julie, he ended up dying. Hoyt then used his power to cover this up when the opportunity arose.

The remaining questions: Does this actually involve a pedophile ring, or was the journalist making connections that weren't there? How/why did Amelia die? What deal did Hayes make with Hoyt? What caused Roland's life to shift in such a depressing direction following 1990? What comes from Roland and Hayes entering the Hoyt mansion in 2015?
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:30 pm

^yep.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:54 am

Pretty anticlimactic finale. Guess the rest of y'all are watching that oscar garbo.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:58 am

Codeblue wrote:Pretty anticlimactic finale. Guess the rest of y'all are watching that oscar garbo.
It was pretty by the numbers; the "twist" seemed tacked on to be honest.
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:38 am

The missus and I were fans - anticlimactic but also I think it banked on subverting the larger angles that season 1 (and this season's ties to season 1) would steer an audience towards, which made the depressing (but not nearly as insidious) reveal work. Well, that and I couldn't imagine there being a high-stakes shootout with two 70-year-old former cops involved, anyway. Couple smaller questions in my head but this season banked more on developing the interpersonal bonds - Wayne and Amelia, Wayne and Roland - and being a deeper character study than S1.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:51 am

The interpersonal stuff/character building was easily the strong suit of the season. Finale did a great job of showing how much Roland needed Hays. Not just as a partner on the job, but in his full life. Which played a pretty good parallel to how much Hays needed his wife.

I guess that was really the whole theme for the season . . . how the absence of someone you care about destroys you and the world around you. And that played out with every character in the show, from the Hoyts and Mister June, to the kids and Tom and then the town, to Hays and his wife and daughter, all the way to Roland.

S1 had so much existential stuff going on that the mystery seemed so much more than what it probably ever was . . . this season had a much more "grounded" mystery as the plot, but they threw in enough "weird" elements that it kept you thinking there was more to it than there ever was for a while, but then finished with such concrete answers, that it felt too simple. Not being as ambiguous about that seemed to weaken it more than strengthen it to me.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:09 pm

Codeblue wrote:Pretty anticlimactic finale. Guess the rest of y'all are watching that oscar garbo.
I agree. I actually dumped out of the Oscars to see this and thought the series started out strong but didn't end with the same momentum.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:21 pm

hunterjax wrote: I guess that was really the whole theme for the season . . . how the absence of someone you care about destroys you and the world around you. And that played out with every character in the show, from the Hoyts and Mister June, to the kids and Tom and then the town, to Hays and his wife and daughter, all the way to Roland.
Sounds more like an after school special than a crime drama. This "series" has run its course. The creators should move on to something else (assuming they actually have any new ideas).
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:46 pm

Spoilers, but whatever?

Granted a lot of time has passed, but the world just keeps on thinking Tom murdered his son and then committed suicide? Julie escaped, fell in love, moved on with her life, and didn't care to right that wrong? Lithium sounds dope.
howdyall
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:20 pm

I mean, I enjoyed it...honestly, I thought the finale was going to be a reveal that Hays had found out everything that happened during some other horrible act, and then forgot about it. But really, expecting cop dramas to always have a bow on them at the end is kinda unrealistic. This season definitely resonated with me more than S2 (which I don't even care enough about to re-watch once, whereas I've rewatched S1 probably half a dozen times and still love it). I'll probably give it a little time and then check it out again. Also, having seen someone with Alzheimer's slowly dissipate in their later years balanced my expectations a little as for how it would end - that aspect of the storyline being setup from the beginning kinda gives Pizzolatto a soft out early on. If Hays had been sharp all that time, I would have expected a grittier ending, but really, it was as good as it could get. Waiting til the last episode to throw the landscaper/daughter in felt a little ham-fisted, but whatever.

Also, Roland FTW - easily the best work in Dorff's career, and one of the best supporting acts I've ever seen. Here's hoping he gets some more mainstream work out of the attention he gets from this show.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:13 pm

I enjoyed it. Kind of wish Hayes had been able to enjoy his discovery, and allow his mind to rest. But at least his daughter is back in his life; perhaps that and Roland's presence will enable that anyway.
So it goes...
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:51 pm

mfaith wrote:I enjoyed it. Kind of wish Hayes had been able to enjoy his discovery, and allow his mind to rest. But at least his daughter is back in his life; perhaps that and Roland's presence will enable that anyway.
I took it that he did realize who Julie was, again, after phoning his son, even if only briefly.

His vision of Amelia is him thinking on the case and coming to the answer. He solved it. Then, tragically, just before approaching Julie, his memory failed him and the answer was lost. However, after calling his son, when the daughter (Lucy, after her grandmother) returned with the water, Hayes locked eyes with her and it clicked again. However, he realized the hurt and pain that would come from addressing it, that he decided against it.

Then, back home, he’s on the porch with family and friends, and his memory jumps again. First to Amelia and then to his time in the war. Tragically going back to the lesson he learned during the war; life happens now.
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:15 pm

iambillyg wrote:
mfaith wrote:I enjoyed it. Kind of wish Hayes had been able to enjoy his discovery, and allow his mind to rest. But at least his daughter is back in his life; perhaps that and Roland's presence will enable that anyway.
I took it that he did realize who Julie was, again, after phoning his son, even if only briefly.

His vision of Amelia is him thinking on the case and coming to the answer. He solved it. Then, tragically, just before approaching Julie, his memory failed him and the answer was lost. However, after calling his son, when the daughter (Lucy, after her grandmother) returned with the water, Hayes locked eyes with her and it clicked again. However, he realized the hurt and pain that would come from addressing it, that he decided against it.

Then, back home, he’s on the porch with family and friends, and his memory jumps again. First to Amelia and then to his time in the war. Tragically going back to the lesson he learned during the war; life happens now.
I took his momentary look at the kid and the woman as an ambiguous note for the audience to interpret whether or not they think he realized it again but let it go. In the same way, a guy who's been aware of his own memory issues chose not to call Roland or write down the why on the address could all be interpreted as, maybe he's okay with letting this part of the story go.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:17 pm

Similarly with the son pocketing the address. Does he or doesn't he follow up?
So it goes...
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:27 am

I think he follows up. He folded it rather than crumple back up.

I also realized that a couple of flashbacks to the jungle would have fleshed out Hays a bit more.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump