True Detective

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:15 pm

That's an interesting take. The teacher could have certainly lured the children out there since they know and presumably trust her. Wonder what her motive would be?
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:44 pm

No clue. There's also another weird part where Hayes says he could investigate her if he wanted and she gets this nervous look on her face before telling him everything she wants him to know, which could be totally made up or at least partially made up.

If she's not involved somehow, I think it's clear she's a liar to a degree and will do anything to get what she wants.

Another weird thing I noticed but haven't gone back to confirm is during the opening of the first episode when Hayes is listening to his tape recorder he says something about "Don't forget about what's in the drawer. Use it if you have to." When he opens it's a gun. Why would he need to use a gun during a video interview? Or is there something else in the drawer and the gun is just a red herring. Or did I totally misremember that and I'm too lazy to go back and rewatch?

WHO KNOWS
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:03 pm

cotis wrote:although she did have 2 glasses for wine... so I think there is more to the son relationship than we know so far.

got me hooked.
I noticed that, too. I had a thought that maybe the black man and the white woman in the nice brown car are actually the interviewer and the son and Hayes is getting his timelines and stories confused.
cotis
Art Expert

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:54 pm

michaelmillichamp wrote:No clue. There's also another weird part where Hayes says he could investigate her if he wanted and she gets this nervous look on her face before telling him everything she wants him to know, which could be totally made up or at least partially made up.

If she's not involved somehow, I think it's clear she's a liar to a degree and will do anything to get what she wants.

Another weird thing I noticed but haven't gone back to confirm is during the opening of the first episode when Hayes is listening to his tape recorder he says something about "Don't forget about what's in the drawer. Use it if you have to." When he opens it's a gun. Why would he need to use a gun during a video interview? Or is there something else in the drawer and the gun is just a red herring. Or did I totally misremember that and I'm too lazy to go back and rewatch?

WHO KNOWS
murder weapon for whatever they did in the woods?
iambillyg
Art Freak

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:40 am

michaelmillichamp wrote: Another weird thing I noticed but haven't gone back to confirm is during the opening of the first episode when Hayes is listening to his tape recorder he says something about "Don't forget about what's in the drawer. Use it if you have to." When he opens it's a gun. Why would he need to use a gun during a video interview? Or is there something else in the drawer and the gun is just a red herring. Or did I totally misremember that and I'm too lazy to go back and rewatch?

WHO KNOWS
That's his exit plan if his alzheimer's gets too bad. He told his son that he'd kill himself before being put into a home.

Theories/Thoughts:

- The Hoyt Family, owners of Hoyt Foods, where Julie's mother worked, kidnapped her to replace their daughter that went missing years ago and Will died accidentally during the kidnapping.
- Gerald Kindt (the Attorney General) is involved in covering up the disappearance/murder.
- Kindt helped to steer the investigation away from them which, in return, Hoyt helped him secure the AG position (big business backing). This was done by planting evidence (the backpack), removing the "unknown" fingerprints from evidence, etc.
- Maybe Julie's mom was aware of the kidnapping, due to her sending in the note? Not sure about why she would have done this other than maybe pressure from Kindt?
- The cop who planed the backpack was murdered by Kindt because the investigation was being reopened and he feared him talking.
- Kindt also murdered Julie's mother via accidental overdose, which is easily believed due to her character. -- Maybe she really OD'd due to guilt from the kidnapping/Will's death due to her being aware of it? But I'm not sure.
- Julie calling the hot line and saying the man on TV isn't her father is referring to Kindt.
- The homeless kid that used to hang with Julie mentioned her saying she was a princess and in a pink castle. There were drawings of this found in the home, meaning she was likely groomed and aware of who her kidnappers were.

I do not think Amelia was involved. Her interest in it is a misdirect and really only serves to cause tension in her relationship with Hays. Someone else said it best, "It's like a draft-dodger writing a book on the horrors of war." This is a case that haunts Hays, yet she continues to poke and prod for information so she can profit/gain from the misfortune of so many others; her book. She's awful.

- - -

Overall this season is still a chore. There's so much effort trying to recapture what was great about Season 1 that it's tedious.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 pm

Best ep of the season so far.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
cotis
Art Expert

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:02 am

Codeblue wrote:Best ep of the season so far.
yup, fudge gettin cray.

some thoughts after Ep6...

-pink room in the castle... Tom sees either a portrait of the family with Julie in it or a painting of Julie?
-Michael Rooker = Hoyt. look at the photo in Harris James office... had to pause & zoom to confirm. assume they're pretty good friends to go on hunting trips together, especially after Hoyt took a $15k a year highway man and made him Chief Security Officer at his company for a good chunk of change. guess that comes with helping cover things up and swing an investigation elsewhere.
-Harris James telling Hays he has a nice body, and Tom's homosexuality seminar flyer thing... probably reading too much into it but maybe Tom/Harris are a little more involved or were at some point?
-landscaper at the girls home: was the kid that told detectives about the creepy dolls way back when. he's also the one that waived at Julie when they were heading off on their bikes. I think there's more here... but i'm also skeptical that I'm just reading too much into it.
-Hoyt prostitution ring that the girl at the nun's girls home hinted at... AG and other officials covering up a big sex ring surrounding the biggest corporation in their area seems pretty fitting?
-"Uncle Dan" hinting that he and Lacy shared same milestones... I'm sure was to make viewers think he's Julie's real dad but I'm not taking that bait. funny that he ashed his cigarette out in (presumably) Hoyt eggs.
-Hays son & True Criminal interviewer... called it a mile away. i'm curious now though if the interviewer was just using the kid to get to Hays about all this?
-have to go back and look but curious if the gun Tom had entering Hoyt property is the same gun that Hays has now that Roland glanced at in his home office? could be nothing but Roland seemed to glance at it a little bit longer than normal.
-I think Hays coming back from restroom asking Roland about the car was him playing with Roland... sure he has his moments and his mind isn't what it used to be. but usually that's around straining his mind thinking about the case and getting stressed - not from taking a leak.

:ziggi:
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Have they said how Hays' wife died? Is she dead?

Was the guy who berated at the book signing the same dead-eyed guy from when Hays and West went to question the dead-eyed guy a few episodes ago? Because they were different times, but they used different actors instead of aging makeup . . . weird to do that for only one character if it is the same character.

I think that Billy's right about the gun - that Hays says remember it's there to himself to use on himself, but I also think it's the gun Tom's going to use to kill the Hoyt Security guy that then Hays and West cover up. West is looking at it funny because he's thought all these years that Hays got rid of it. <shrug>
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 pm

hunterjax wrote:Have they said how Hays' wife died? Is she dead?
No, and yes.
hunterjax wrote:Was the guy who berated at the book signing the same dead-eyed guy from when Hays and West went to question the dead-eyed guy a few episodes ago? Because they were different times, but they used different actors instead of aging makeup . . . weird to do that for only one character if it is the same character.
No. The man they approached in 1980 had a dead right eye. The man at the book signing had a dead left eye.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Billy with the detailed viewing. Thank you.

cotis
Art Expert

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:59 pm

hunterjax wrote:I think that Billy's right about the gun - that Hays says remember it's there to himself to use on himself, but I also think it's the gun Tom's going to use to kill the Hoyt Security guy that then Hays and West cover up. West is looking at it funny because he's thought all these years that Hays got rid of it. <shrug>
I ain't Billy!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 pm

iambillyg wrote:That's his exit plan if his alzheimer's gets too bad. He told his son that he'd kill himself before being put into a home.
you're damn right you aren't.
cotis
Art Expert

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:58 pm

:lol: this show makes me think i'm forgetting fudge in real life. prob too invested.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:26 pm

cotis wrote::lol: this show makes me think i'm forgetting fudge in real life. prob too invested.
when you start seeing an older you reflected in windows, step back.
cotis
Art Expert

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:08 pm

rewatched some episodes today...

the dudes that haunt Hays in his office when he’s in his bath robe gotta be the people he’s killed. Vietnamese, white dude in suit (Harris James), etc?