Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:04 am

Biggest snub with 8th grade (IMO).
Lesser snub goes to lack of writing nominations for Sorry to Bother you or Blindspotting.

Seeing the full nominations it looks to be Netflix’s year as Roma shouldn’t have much difficulty here.
You know unless some voters just hate new media.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:13 am

BENYOUNG20 wrote:Biggest snub with 8th grade (IMO).
Lesser snub goes to lack of writing nominations for Sorry to Bother you or Blindspotting.

Seeing the full nominations it looks to be Netflix’s year as Roma shouldn’t have much difficulty here.
You know unless some voters just hate new media.

Loved 8th grade. Would have been cool to see that get a nod. I want yorgos to just dominate everything. It won’t happen but I want it too. The Favourite is easily the best of the best pic noms IMO.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:01 am

No noms for either Eighth Grade, Leave No Trace or The Rider is highly questionable IMO
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:20 pm

I REALLY enjoyed ‘First Man’. The movie was good overall, but the flight scenes were amazing - really exhilarating, especially the Gemini mission. The sound editing is incredible.
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
DonPiano
Art Expert

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
DonPiano wrote:My top 50 for 2018. Working on Australian release dates.

https://www.thecurb.com.au/andrews-top- ... s-of-2018/
Nice, dude. A few that I can really appreciate being on your list- Jane, Let the Corpses Tan, In the Fade, Revenge, Skate Kitchen, On Body & Soul. Cheers man.
Cheers. Glad at least someone watched Let the Corpses Tan out there.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:31 am

iwokeinrelief wrote:I probably only saw maybe 10 new films this year, but the five that really stand out for me (in no order) are: Burning, Roma, Shoplifters, Annihilation, and The Endless. If I’m completely honest I’d say that The Endless was my favorite thing I saw this year.
Absolutely adding Cold War to this list. Loved it way more than I expected; knew it had a music element to the plot, but did not expect just how much of the film it would suffuse. Definitely watching again this week when I force my wife to watch it.
ACCBiggz
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:46 am

There are a couple outstanding pictures I need to see, chiefly Roma. I have been waiting to see if I could catch it in theatres and it's somewhat close by this week. I'll try to catch it then.

Oscar Opinions:
One of the more weird years in terms of nominations. Eighth Grade should have gotten one for Screenplay. If Beale Street Could Talk should have also gotten a Director & Best Picture nom. Won't You Be My Neighbor was left off doc for some reason. I knew Paddington 2 wouldn't get anything but it deserved it. Also thought Saoirse Ronan deserved a Supporting Actress nod.

From what I'm seeing and how other awards have gone it appears Close & Gaga are the frontrunners, but they couldn't hold a candle to what Olivia Colman did in The Favourite. It's going to be a stunning oversight if she loses. Likewise, I wasn't into Yorgos Lanthimos' direction. That was one of the few things keeping me from really getting into it.

I know it will be very unpopular, but unless Roma blows me away Black Panther would have my vote for Best Picture. I'm expecting a Roma win at this juncture --- as long as it's not Green Book or Bohemian Rhapsody I'll be fine.
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:54 pm

Beale Street should've gotten a cinematography nod. Every frame is gorgeous. At least they didn't screw it out of a nomination for music.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:52 am

iwokeinrelief wrote:
brettlv5506 wrote:Watched Hagazussa last night. It's kinda the slow cinema version of The Witch by way of Antichrist. It was also a student film, which blows my goddamn mind. It could likely end up on my top ten list I posted a day or so ago. Folk horror fans will probably dig it.
This is great to hear. It has been on my list of stuff to see for a number of months now. Does it have a home release now, or did you catch a screening of it?
Caught this last night, definitely echo the sentiments that it's mind blowing that it was a student project, the film looks goddamn great. I also really enjoyed it - very slow burn but the overall tenor of dread is maintained almost throughout which makes the burn work really well; glad I finally got the chance to check it out, it's been on my radar for a while now.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:09 pm

Watched Widows this weekend, thought it was pretty solid but could have done without the "twist." Think it would have been a better movie even without it, tbh.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:22 pm

Finally saw Sorry to Bother You last night and thought it was a blast. Loses a bit of steam there towards the end, but is still one my favorites from last year.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:46 pm

The Rotten Oscars are on! The show is this Sunday.

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 7&t=179543

RadRacing
Art Expert

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:01 am

Finally caught Bohemian Rhapsody, holy moly that was BAD. What's with all the praise?!

Also finally checked out (and enjoyed) Burning, Shoplifters, Blindspotting & Support the Girls. All worth checking out!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:57 am

RadRacing wrote:Finally caught Bohemian Rhapsody, holy moly that was BAD. What's with all the praise?!
:rolling:

Thank you! I do not get it... Typical biopic and I do not at all understand the love for Remi Malek.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Just wait for the sequel.