Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:19 am

RottenAtom wrote: but I think it's stupid that people want to dig up things from former decades that were said in a standup (essentially a piece of art or theater) and hold people accountable for them years later. drymount that.
I 100% agree. Unfortunately, this seems to be the direction we're heading however. The future looks bleak.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:36 am

RottenAtom wrote:I've never been a Kevin Hart fan and have never understood how he gets so many gigs. He's not funny at all and he's gratingly annoying. His stint at the NBA all star game was beyond terrible and his movies are trash.

I am super happy he's not hosting the Oscars and we don't have to suffer through his monologue or his "jokes" all night. However... I respect him for not apologizing for comments he made in a stand up 10+ years ago. People on the internet were mad and the academy wanted him to apologize and he didn't. Good for him. drymount those mad people and the academy. Also, huge thanks to those mad people. Without them, Kevin would still be hosting.

For the record, I don't know what he said and I don't condone whatever it was (I'm sure it was stupid, tasteless, and true to Kevin - unfunny), but I think it's stupid that people want to dig up things from former decades that were said in a standup (essentially a piece of art or theater) and hold people accountable for them years later. drymount that.

I wonder who's gonna host now...
Kevin hart movies..not so funny
Kevin Hart live..very funny

seen him 3x live and each time I'm in stitches
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
deancc
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Shoplifters is great. I file it right up there with my other Koreeda favourites (Our Little Sister, Like Father Like Son, Nobody Knows).
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:29 am

ready for some top ten lists from donpiano, brett, ra, matowest

cmon boys!
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:07 am

deancc wrote:Shoplifters is great. I file it right up there with my other Koreeda favourites (Our Little Sister, Like Father Like Son, Nobody Knows).
Finally coming out here next week, can’t wait to see it!
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:52 am

+ saw Roma last night. Well deserving of all the praises it’s getting, thought it was great.
MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:23 pm

hunterjax wrote:Like Captain Marvel for example. Personally I am really excited for the story, but I find Brie Larson to be personally terrible. I just can't stand her face/voice/demeanor, etc. That's not me being mad that she's the new MCU powerhouse or a female leading superhero movie - I just don't like HER as an actress (I'm sure she's a fine person, but what do I care, really?)

But expressing on social media anything other than "SHE IS THE GREATEST ACTRESS PLAYING THE GREATEST CHARACTER IN WHAT WILL BE THE GREATEST SUPERHERO MOVIE OF ALL TIME" is akin to locking up women in my basement well so I can skin them for my personal lady-suit.
I stopped stitching my lady-suit to jump in here and say I agree regarding her casting. Felt the same way about Tom Holland as Spider-Man. Reserved judgement until I saw them in trailers and cringed each time. I thought for sure Brie would be too busy making Room 2 to be Captain Marvel but alas.
matowest
Art Expert

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:00 am

Cinlabyrinth wrote:ready for some top ten lists from donpiano, brett, ra, matowest

cmon boys!
Maybe. Maybe.
I hate building top ten lists, but I might haha
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:13 am

Cinlabyrinth wrote:ready for some top ten lists from donpiano, brett, ra, matowest

cmon boys!
1-10. Paddington 2
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:56 am

MonteAlderaan wrote:I stopped stitching my lady-suit
:clap: :cheers:

:D :D
jlabbate
Art Freak

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:18 am

X-mas Chronicles on Netflix was better than expected
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
matowest
Art Expert

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:58 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:

cmon boys!
1-10. Paddington 2
Not wrong
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:11 pm

matowest wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:

cmon boys!
1-10. Paddington 2
Not wrong

:pint:

There’s still a lot I have to see. Roma/Shoplifters/The Favourite/Old Man And the Gun etc but I know Paddington 2/Annihilation/The Endless are going to be in my top 10.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
matowest
Art Expert

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:17 pm

This is by no means final, but here's a very rough draft of mine. Plenty of time to tweak/add/subtract

1.Vice
2.The Favourite
3.Won’t You Be My Neighbor
4.First Man
5.Annihilation
6.Widows
7.Leave No Trace
8.Paddington 2
9.Mandy
10.Mary Poppins Returns

Noteworthy (and might cycle in before list is final): Unsane, Tully, American Animals, Three Identical Strangers, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, BlackkKlansman, A Simple Favor, A Star is Born, Free Solo, Ben Is Back, Boy Erased, Roma, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Wildlife, Green Book, Stan and Ollie, Cold War, The Rider
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:19 pm

jlabbate wrote:X-mas Chronicles on Netflix was better than expected
agreed. Russell was great, movie was pretty solid.