Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Creation88
Art Expert

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:33 am

saw McQueen this past weekend.
i knew of Alexander McQueen but didn't know a lot about him. great story. the film is pieced together with old recordings and current interviews with his team.
great watch.
FS: BTTF II variant
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:37 pm

Loved The Old Man & the Gun! Can't wait to see it again with a bigger audience. It's a worthy send-off for Redford that oozes old school charm and has an easygoing nature about it. Loved all the tender moments with Redford and Sissy Spacek. Super enjoyable :pint:
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:51 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Loved The Old Man & the Gun! Can't wait to see it again with a bigger audience. It's a worthy send-off for Redford that oozes old school charm and has an easygoing nature about it. Loved all the tender moments with Redford and Sissy Spacek. Super enjoyable :pint:
Really looking forward to this one
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:54 am

Finally saw Crazy Rich Asians and my wife and I had a lot of fun with it. Good day at the theater. Now I'm watching The Sting.
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:54 pm

Watched Nancy last night. Andrea Riseborough does a great subdued performance. Also, saw Perfect Blue at the theater tonight. The restoration looks great. Going to have to buy it when they put out a new bluray.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:51 pm

THE PREDATOR

While I wasn't wild about seeing this, I actually had a fun time with it. Shane Black does a great job at making this an homage to the original, while at the same time, allowing this film to stand on its own. The original score is used, it's funny, and references the first 2 films of the franchise. While I wasn't a huge fan of the predator dogs (yes, you read that right), I did understand their purpose. The team of characters seem to work well together, each offering and bringing something to the group. 5.5/10
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Anyone see Mandy yet? Wondering if it lives up to the trailer . . .
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:56 pm

A SIMPLE FAVOR

I like it when an actor/director branch out of their genre, especially if it's from comedy to drama. Paul Feig, along with writers Jessica Sharzer and Darcey Bell, deliver a suspenseful, thought-provoking, keep you guessing until the very end, whodunit. Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick's characters in this film could not be more unlike each other and yet they strike up a friendship. This is by far the most foul-mouthed and vicious I've ever seen Blake while Anna does a perfect job as an overbearing mother who is trying to grow her vlog. This is a smart, original and refreshing movie. I was excited going in to this and it did not disappoint. I may even help myself to a second viewing while it's still in theaters. If you have any interest, I do recommend seeing this! 7/10
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:03 pm

Watched Mandy. It's alright. Johan did a great job creating a soundscape. Most of it looks great. Nic Cage is very Nic Cage. Andrea Riseborough is very good (like always). For being such a gonzo weird movie, it's a rather simplistic plot and script. The biggest drawback for me was a lot of it has very very dark sequences where it is hard to get a grip on where one character is in relation to another. It comes off as hard to follow and disjointed because of this, especially during a lot of the fight scenes.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:30 pm

I really liked it - thought it was peak crazy Cage, but that was exactly what it was written for. The colors, music, lighting were all top notch.

I didn't have the same reaction to the darkness of it, but maybe that has a lot to do with tv settings.

And that story was pretty much exactly as expected - a Mad Max retread. But it's all the details that make it stand on its own.

I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Also, finally got around to watching Hereditary and while it scared the piss out of me while watching it, I pretty much "figured" it out halfway through, so the ending was just slightly disappointing. But overall, I thought it deserved all the hype - the acting was fantastic, it was creepy as drymount, and I had to turn on most of the lights in the house after watching before I went to bed, lol.
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Best, can't think of one.
Worst, 2018 isn't over, but my vote goes to The Predator. Worst movie of the century, so far.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Eh. It was not great. But worst of the century?

You should give The Counselor, mother!, and The Happening a spin.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:27 am

35mmpaul wrote:mother! was the greatest film of 2017.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:20 am

oof. that's slanderous. i never said that. wouldn't even call it a 'film' .thats a generous word.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
RadRacing
Art Expert

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:39 am