MoviePass

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Officially cancelled my MoviePass today. It was fun while it lasted :pint:
xangelx
Art Expert

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:42 pm

Irishman12 wrote:Officially cancelled my MoviePass today. It was fun while it lasted :pint:
Totally forgot about this thread. I quit Moviepass in October. Long live AMC A List!
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:52 pm

xangelx wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:Officially cancelled my MoviePass today. It was fun while it lasted :pint:
Totally forgot about this thread. I quit Moviepass in October. Long live AMC A List!
Yup, that's what I've moved to. I don't remember the last time I used MoviePass. It was time to retire it since I wasn't using it. I had been waiting until the new year because they unveiled "new' plans and none of them made any difference to me in regards to my using the service. So I finally cut the cord. Been using AMC since August and haven't had any problems with it!
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:22 pm

Lets dust this bitch off. Anyone have anything positive to say about A-List by AMC? I'm thinking of joining as it is the nicest theatre near me.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
xangelx
Art Expert

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:30 pm

jjttdw wrote:Lets dust this bitch off. Anyone have anything positive to say about A-List by AMC? I'm thinking of joining as it is the nicest theatre near me.
Yes. I loved MP till it went to fudge. Went to A-list and have no regrets. Living in NY I have several theater options, generally all nice theaters, choice of IMAX, 3D, Dolby and whatever other premium showing they have.

My one complaint is that there are a few indie movies that they don't seem to get, they do run indie flicks but not a ton. Wanted to see Arctic and Destroyer, never played in NYC but was in the app playing at an AMC in CT.

Was thinking I might try the base level Sinemia or maybe even MP again for the occasional out of AMC flick.
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:29 pm

xangelx wrote:
jjttdw wrote:Lets dust this bitch off. Anyone have anything positive to say about A-List by AMC? I'm thinking of joining as it is the nicest theatre near me.
Yes. I loved MP till it went to fudge. Went to A-list and have no regrets. Living in NY I have several theater options, generally all nice theaters, choice of IMAX, 3D, Dolby and whatever other premium showing they have.
I concur with this except the part about the indie flicks. The AMC by me is really the only theater to carry indie flicks at all. Yes they may miss some but they are the only ones who really offer them around me. A-List has been great! I love that you can reserve your seats online (rather than having to be within a 100 yards of the theater). And with up to 3 movies a week (12 a month), it's the best deal around IMO. Plus, my AMC now has reserved seats so you don't need to show up extra early to get a good place.

As for MoviePass, I cancelled it back in January. Last month they pulled the money again and after contacting them, they admitted they shouldn't have and I'd receive a credit within 24-48 hours. That came and went so I contacted them again and they said they would send another message up the ladder marking it urgent. Once again no refund so when I tried calling a third time, they stated they were closed, even though it was during their regular hours of operation. I finally called my credit card company to dispute the charge and shred the card (the MoviePass card that is). Haven't looked back since.
matowest
Art Expert

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:50 pm

My one-year MP subscription ran out around Nov. of last year. Took me a while to realize it since their app had been broken beyond use. When I realized it, I called in (tip: don't do that) to request a renewal on a month-to-month basis (yes, I know, but this had always paid for itself even at its most unusable). I explained the situation to the phone lady. She told me that I would have to wait 3 months, then open a new account and get a new card. The card part I understood, but the wait made no sense to me. I said "Ma'am, I'm trying to give your company my money." She said there was nothing she could do for me. With that, MP became dead to me.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Do they really check your IDs for the A-List tickets.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
xangelx
Art Expert

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:42 pm

jjttdw wrote:Do they really check your IDs for the A-List tickets.
Yes. Takes 2 secs, no big deal.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:14 pm

xangelx wrote:
Yes. Takes 2 secs, no big deal.
Yup, but you can go straight to the ticket taker and once scanned go right in. The lines aren't usually bad and as xangelx said, it's pretty quick and not a big deal.
DickButt
Art Expert

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:17 pm

At least at my theater, it depends on the person. I've had it checked, and I've had it not checked.

As far as A-List opinions go, I like it so far after 1 month. We had a Dine-In AMC open up 20 minutes from us last month with IMAX and Dolby Cinema. Living in the NYC area, a ticket to see 1 movie in those formats at night is $20-22. So for $23/month for A-List it's almost a no-brainer especially when you look at the upcoming movies and see that there's at least 1 movie a month you're going to want to see in that format anyway. I'd be paying that price regardless so A-List is a no-brainer.

The fact that every format is included in the subscription is what sells it. The only things I've noticed that aren't included are those Thursday opening night "Ultimate Fan Event" 6p screenings that are becoming more and more of a thing for big movies like SW and Marvel.

My only gripe is there is no family plan (yet) so I need to pay for my daughter's tickets at full price (but without convenience fees).
EggOfThePhoenix
New User

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:03 pm

I just signed up based off a friends recommendation. I'm kind of skeptical. You guys find the time to go to the movies?
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:57 pm

sixstringer wrote:https://moviepass.com/

It's baaaack.
:lol:
"Your movie choices may be restricted due to excessive individual usage which negatively impacts system-wide capacity. See Terms of Use section 2.5 for further details."

I wonder how many movies until they deem you to "negatively impact their system-wide capacity?" I cancelled back in January and they pulled the money out last month. I called MoviePass and they said they would escalate my cancellation and contacted my credit card company and they gave me a credit for it. This month MoviePass tried to pull the money again so I once again had to call them. They said they would make sure the account was cancelled this time (I have no idea why it wasn't done back in January when I originally cancelled my subscription?) and the pending charge for them to take the money out again this month has dropped off. We'll see if they try a third attempt next month.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
sixstringer wrote:https://moviepass.com/

It's baaaack.
:lol:
"Your movie choices may be restricted due to excessive individual usage which negatively impacts system-wide capacity. See Terms of Use section 2.5 for further details."

I wonder how many movies until they deem you to "negatively impact their system-wide capacity?" I cancelled back in January and they pulled the money out last month. I called MoviePass and they said they would escalate my cancellation and contacted my credit card company and they gave me a credit for it. This month MoviePass tried to pull the money again so I once again had to call them. They said they would make sure the account was cancelled this time (I have no idea why it wasn't done back in January when I originally cancelled my subscription?) and the pending charge for them to take the money out again this month has dropped off. We'll see if they try a third attempt next month.
let me help you out here with this prognostication...