Westworld on HBO

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:07 am

So so sooooo many questions but I'm loving it. There's too many guesses I have running around in my head as to what is going on, but I'm curious if after that last scene to see if Arnold is somehow tapped into all the robots; if Arnold make Anthony Hopkins and he is a robot; if Hopkins used to stuff Deloris; if that little kid is Anthony Hopkins as a kid; or a ton of other things.

Whatever happens, I am all in.
ImageImageImageImageImage
andruw000
Art Expert

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:35 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:So, Mulva is the gunslinger? Discuss.
ftfy
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:08 pm

63schoeffling wrote:So so sooooo many questions but I'm loving it. There's too many guesses I have running around in my head as to what is going on, but I'm curious if after that last scene to see if Arnold is somehow tapped into all the robots; if Arnold make Anthony Hopkins and he is a robot; if Hopkins used to stuff Deloris; if that little kid is Anthony Hopkins as a kid; or a ton of other things.

Whatever happens, I am all in.
Yep, definitely think they are leading viewers down the road of "Is Anthony Hopkins/Ford a host created by Arnold, who is the first to become self aware"??

And I had the same thought about the kid . . . is it a host that Hopkins created based on himself as a child?

Is Ed Harris the head of the company that McPoyle and his douche buddy work for? He clearly famous outside of the game, because that other guest was in awe of his work that "saved [his] sister's life."
peacedog
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:53 pm

hunterjax wrote:
Is Ed Harris the head of the company that McPoyle and his douche buddy work for?
Logan is William's brother-in-law.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:10 pm

peacedog wrote:
hunterjax wrote:
Is Ed Harris the head of the company that McPoyle and his douche buddy work for?
Logan is William's brother-in-law.
ah . . . missed that. I did hear Logan say something about being part of the family, but I thought he was just speaking metaphorically about their company. So then . . . my theory would be: is Ed Harris Logan's father/William's father-in-law?
soupysound
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:10 pm

i'm teetering on interest / disinterest to the show because of the backlog of open questions. while i enjoy not knowing everything and having to guess... there comes a point when there is too much mystery that i start to lose interest. as others have said, i really hope they start answering plot/character developments versus adding new ones.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Saw an interesting theory that McPoyle is the Man in Black and the stories are taking place 30 years apart. Very interesting and off the top of my head I think that could check out.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:31 pm

soupysound wrote:i'm teetering on interest / disinterest to the show because of the backlog of open questions. while i enjoy not knowing everything and having to guess... there comes a point when there is too much mystery that i start to lose interest. as others have said, i really hope they start answering plot/character developments versus adding new ones.
I understand that and I've abandoned a few shows because I found them too obtuse. But I don't have that issue with Westworld. As I see it the only real mysteries are "Which characters are really automatons?" and "What's in the maze?"

Also I think a single answer will work for both of those questions. I'm just hoping they don't drag it out over 3 seasons. One and done will be sufficient.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:50 pm

63schoeffling wrote:Saw an interesting theory that McPoyle is the Man in Black and the stories are taking place 30 years apart. Very interesting and off the top of my head I think that could check out.
Interesting. I like the dual-timeline idea.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:15 pm

hunterjax wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:Saw an interesting theory that McPoyle is the Man in Black and the stories are taking place 30 years apart. Very interesting and off the top of my head I think that could check out.
Interesting. I like the dual-timeline idea.
Yup. I also think the fact that they showed McPoyle take the white hat obviously shows that he is good, but I guess at some point he ends up turning bad and into Ed Harris as we see him today. Interesting theory and I think it would be a cool take on the storytelling.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:40 pm

1. Ed Harris said in his early days at the park, the hosts were more mechanical. But we've seen organic (?) tissues in hosts during McPoyle's time.
2. The theory completely negates any growth Delores has made. -That would fit the theme, but not her particular arc. She is our path to the ending.
3. Hopkins's new storyline (Wyatt) exists in both Harris's and McPoyle's park visits.

There's more but that's a good start.
Last edited by Diabolos80 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:17 pm

Diabolos80 wrote:1. Ed Harris said in his early days at the park, the hosts were more mechanical. But we've seen organic (?) tissues in hosts during the McPoyle's time.
2. The theory completely negates any growth Delores has made.
3. Hopkins's new storyline (Wyatt) exists in both Harris's and McPoyle's park visits.

There's more but that's a good start.
Duplicate Lawrence then? because how can he be with Harris and with McPoyle in the last episode, if he's not a duplicate host. That's what's making me buy into the dual timeline the most . . . seemed like they made that reveal on purpose in this episode (that Lawrence was the head of the Rebellion)

and the dual timeline also feeds into Harris's treatment of Delores . . . he goes from being in love with her to just taking her as he pleases as part of his turn from white hat to black hat.

Your first two points are well made, but the third: I think that Hopkin's has a new story involving Wyatt, but not that Wyatt is necessarily a new host.
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:27 pm

Nice reply, and timing as well.

Lawrence is a buggaboo. I plead Occam's razor and he's just a dupe. For now. Delores bugs me more, especially if it's a split timeline. That scene where she's walking through bodies strewn about her hometown. You don't think she's the last one standing cuz she's lucky, maybe? Maybe she turned black hat, too, somewhere in between McPoyle and Harris. And let's not forget Hopkins peed his pants a little during their last conversation. I like it.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:43 pm

Shut your mouth about my dearest Delores.

So it goes...
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:14 pm

Diabolos80 wrote:Nice reply, and timing as well.

Lawrence is a buggaboo. I plead Occam's razor and he's just a dupe. For now. Delores bugs me more, especially if it's a split timeline. That scene where she's walking through bodies strewn about her hometown. You don't think she's the last one standing cuz she's lucky, maybe? Maybe she turned black hat, too, somewhere in between McPoyle and Harris. And let's not forget Hopkins peed his pants a little during their last conversation. I like it.
yeah, I agree, Delores and her changes are the biggest strike against the dual timelines . . .

this is out of left field, but if Hopkins is a host, not a human, he could be talking to her in the same timeline as William's, not in the "present" like we assume (because if he was human and talking to her in William's timeline, he'd have to be younger.) And even the old hosts (like Wild Bill) have organics on the OUTSIDE . . . it's just their insides that the butchers were talking about being changed.