Marvel Cinematic Universe

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:46 pm

schmoff wrote:asguardians of the galaxy
Hoping he is more that just a cameo in the 3rd one.
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:49 pm

pjsteelerfan wrote:
Kinda get the feeling that he's definitely more. Hell, the reason he's happy to stick around with the role now is because they moved him in that comedic direction.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:52 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
pjsteelerfan wrote:
Kinda get the feeling that he's definitely more. Hell, the reason he's happy to stick around with the role now is because they moved him in that comedic direction.
And they need to give him another redemption arc. But if it leads to more Korg, all in.
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 01, 2019 8:47 am

Finally saw it. Holy fudge that was the most Epic movie going experience I have ever..... experienced.

I only have two (and a half) small issues that I feel like I need to bring up, curious if others agree. But damn, make no mistake, I think that ending could not have been better executed. Perfect and 100% satisfied. DAMN I still can't get over it.

1) Captain Marvel gone for most of the movie again. I feel like they should have just left her out of Phase 3. They kind of pull her out of nowhere in the first place, which always felt awkward, We forgive it thinking it would at least be for some purpose, but there wasn't much point in having her there other than establishing her for Phase 4... but in my opinion.... at an unnecessary cost to Phase 3. It could afford it I suppose.

2) Okay, I am not a stickler for Realistic Time travel Science. I don't care how Time Travel movies care to do it, as long as they pick a way- but they contradict themselves within the movie. By the Time Travel logic established earlier in the movie, Captain America would not grow old and appear in their future.

2a) In the beginning when Rhody is rattling off all these Time Travel movies for his basis of how Time Travel works they make a point to say that their logic is going against the logic of Back to The Future when actually they are using the same Time Travel logic that Back To The Future used.
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Wed May 01, 2019 9:51 am

Captain Marvel got underutilized but her explanation - she's doing the space cop thing - isn't the worst excuse.

Confirmed by the directors - Cap didn't grow old in the normal timeline, he grew old in an alternate timeline. It's needlessly confusing in that he should have reappeared in the time machine instead of a bench, but Bucky noticing him only after they try to bring him back implies that he didn't return/appear until then. The fact that people asked the directors and they tried to leave it vague in case somebody ever wanted to do a story about his life in that timeline is annoying in its lack of finality but also kinda fun that there's a lot of options for more stories - just not "main universe" ones.

I also think the easiest explanation isn't even that it's BTTF (which it isn't), it's that instead of it being "time travel" they should've accepted calling it a multiverse. The idea that you can mess up the past and it just creates branching alternate realities, or that you can travel among the different branches (the only way to explain how they can access past timelines that aren't their own, when they altered things) would've probably been less of a headache that way, and their explanation already sort of touches on that instead of classic time travel.
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 01, 2019 9:59 am

jkw3000 wrote:Captain Marvel got underutilized but her explanation - she's doing the space cop thing - isn't the worst excuse.

Confirmed by the directors - Cap didn't grow old in the normal timeline, he grew old in an alternate timeline. It's needlessly confusing in that he should have reappeared in the time machine instead of a bench, but Bucky noticing him only after they try to bring him back implies that he didn't return/appear until then. The fact that people asked the directors and they tried to leave it vague in case somebody ever wanted to do a story about his life in that timeline is annoying in its lack of finality but also kinda fun that there's a lot of options for more stories - just not "main universe" ones.

I also think the easiest explanation isn't even that it's BTTF (which it isn't), it's that instead of it being "time travel" they should've accepted calling it a multiverse. The idea that you can mess up the past and it just creates branching alternate realities, or that you can travel among the different branches (the only way to explain how they can access past timelines that aren't their own, when they altered things) would've probably been less of a headache that way, and their explanation already sort of touches on that instead of classic time travel.
Awesome, thank you for explaining that.
bert
Art Expert

Wed May 01, 2019 10:26 am

I don't think they could have followed Back to the Future style time travel rules (where changing an event in the past changes events in that timeline), because it makes stopping Thanos a bit too easy. Simply hop back and hide/destroy a single stone in order to stop the snap.
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Wed May 01, 2019 10:36 am

Was worth it though to see Rhodey mime how he'd kill baby Thanos.
mobius006
Art Freak

Wed May 01, 2019 12:01 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Was worth it though to see Rhodey mime how he'd kill baby Thanos.
peacedog
Art Expert

Mon May 06, 2019 6:14 pm

The Punisher tried to time travel to kill baby Thanos in an alternate comic book timeline. Didn't work out so well.
Cypher
New User

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Love the MCU but love Star Wars more. Eager to be at comic con for all the buzz next weekend.