Marvel Cinematic Universe

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
binky79
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:53 am

Here we go...
cotis
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:03 pm

Disney Reinstates Director James Gunn For ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 3’
EXCLUSIVE: Redemption and second chances have long been superhero movie staples, and today it looks like life has imitated art. I’ve learned that Disney has reinstated James Gunn as the writer-director of Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and I’ve confirmed it with Marvel and Gunn’s camp.

The decision to rehire Gunn –he was fired last July by Disney after alt-right journalists made public a fusillade of decade old social media missives that made light of pedophilia and rape — was one that was mulled and actually made months ago, following conversations with Disney studio leadership and the team at Marvel Studios. Why the change of heart? After the firing, Walt Disney Studios president Alan Horn met with Gunn on multiple occasions to discuss the situation. Persuaded by Gunn’s public apology and his handling of the situation after, Horn decided to reverse course and reinstate Gunn.

The social media messages were indefensible, but the filmmaker never did anything but blame himself for poor judgment displayed at a time when he was emerging from the Troma film factory and attempting to be a provocateur. There were no reports that Gunn ever engaged in the behavior he lampooned. Unlike the defensive posture exhibited by Kevin Hart that led him to skip hosting the Oscars, Gunn fell on his sword early and often and never lashed out at Disney.

Ultimately, Gunn’s missives were poorly chosen words and not actions, though Disney’s quick trigger was completely understandable when the social media messages were first reported by outlets like Fox News. Those outlets reported that Gunn’s missives were exposed as payback for Gunn being a vocal critic of President Donald Trump.

Gunn’s return to Guardians of the Galaxy 3 got complicated when he signed on to write and direct the Suicide Squad sequel for Warner Bros and DC. Marvel Studios has agreed to commence production on Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after Gunn completes Suicide Squad 2. Making the whole thing easier though was the fact that Marvel Studios never met with or considered any other director for Guardians of the Galaxy 3, despite speculation that Thor: Ragnarok helmer Taika Waititi and Vice helmer Adam McKay were in the mix.

Marvel Studios has remained mum on all details concerning Guardians of the Galaxy 3, as the Kevin Feige-led division turned its focus toward Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame. Marvel this week set Destin Daniel Cretton to direct Shang-Chi.

Prior to his dismissal, Gunn had written a script which Marvel confirmed would be used for the third Guardians of the Galaxy installment. I expect Gunn to confirm all this as he supports the release of Brightburn, the David Yarovevsky-directed Elizabeth Banks-starrer that he produced and Sony releases May 24.

There will be an inevitable chorus of those who will gripe about Gunn’s return, but creatively, Guardians will benefit from his return. The entire cast of the film was outspoken in its desire to have Gunn back, saying that those satiric tweets did not match his personal actions. The cast clearly loves him; Chris Pratt, Zoey Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Sean Gunn, Michael Rooker and Pom Klementieff all pleaded for Gunn’s return, in an open letter. The controversy shattered the camaraderie that the cast had with the filmmaker and put a strongly performing franchise in limbo. Marvel has done a great job allowing its filmmakers to inject their personalities into each franchise, and perhaps none has been as stamped by one filmmaker as Gunn on the Guardians franchise. The first two installments grossed over $1.6 billion worldwide, with the sequel out grossing the first picture.

Soon after the announcement of Gunn’s firing, fans circulated a petition urging Disney to reconsider. On October 31st, a fan crowdfunded billboard went up in Anaheim, CA to rehire Gunn.

Disney is days from closing its acquisition of the assets of Fox and while the company will always be family first, it is somehow reassuring that there is room for second chances, and for a good director to have a chance to overcome a colossally stupid mistake.

UTA and The Safran Company rep Gunn.
https://deadline.com/2019/03/james-gunn ... 202576444/
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Glad but surprised he's back. These Twitter trolls/SJW need to take a break and stop digging for things that are well in the past. I believe these tweets Gunn made were from 10 years ago. Not to alibi it but people can change during that period of time. Also glad to hear he'll still be able to direct SUICIDE SQUAD 2. I wonder how far back that'll push GOTG 3 now?
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Also realized this didn't get posted here yet either, though peeps prob already saw this.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Irishman12 wrote:Glad but surprised he's back. These Twitter trolls/SJW need to take a break and stop digging for things that are well in the past. I believe these tweets Gunn made were from 10 years ago. Not to alibi it but people can change during that period of time. Also glad to hear he'll still be able to direct SUICIDE SQUAD 2. I wonder how far back that'll push GOTG 3 now?
So the whole James Gunn thing was dug up by an alt right blogger named Mike Cernovich who is a dirt bag and a flat out liar who propagated the whole 'Pizza Gate' conspiracy theory.

He is not the same as internet trolls just being trolls.

Or people who are bring credible evidence of long time abusers to light (ie R Kelly, Bill Cosby, etc.) are not in the same league as an alt right conspiracy theorist. Him and Alex Jones are about on the same level.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:24 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:Glad but surprised he's back. These Twitter trolls/SJW need to take a break and stop digging for things that are well in the past. I believe these tweets Gunn made were from 10 years ago. Not to alibi it but people can change during that period of time. Also glad to hear he'll still be able to direct SUICIDE SQUAD 2. I wonder how far back that'll push GOTG 3 now?
So the whole James Gunn thing was dug up by an alt right blogger named Mike Cernovich who is a dirt bag and a flat out liar who propagated the whole 'Pizza Gate' conspiracy theory.

He is not the same as internet trolls just being trolls.

Or people who are bring credible evidence of long time abusers to light (ie R Kelly, Bill Cosby, etc.) are not in the same league as an alt right conspiracy theorist. Him and Alex Jones are about on the same level.
I think it's all overdone myself. Professional athletes are having their previous tweets dug up and again, while I don't condone what they tweeted, in some cases they were from 10 years ago while some of these people were still in high school. It's stupid and time consuming. Reflecting how little they currently have going on in their life that they devote so much time to this.
Mapman
Art Expert

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:41 pm

Saw Captain Marvel over the weekend, thought it was great, but the main thing was my 11 year old daughter thought it was AWESOME. Not only was it entertaining to watch, it had a great message embedded into it for kids, and young girls in particular.

OH and all the 90's music was awesome! Told my kids that there was no need to buy a soundtrack, as I've got everything already! LOL
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:55 am

Apparently a massive spoiler clip has been leaked online. You have been warned.
mobius006
Art Freak

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:56 pm

I click on no clips so I'm good. Dolby Vision Friday night ticket.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:55 pm

It had some hiccups, but damn if Endgame wasn't satisfying. Dug it. So many feels.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:08 am

Definitely the closest film experience of an actual comic book any comic book movie has achieved. Felt exactly like a big summer comic book even crossover - from the team-up missions, to the insider call backs, to the final battle and the moments held within. Really felt like the pages of a great comic were playing out across the screen.
Mapman
Art Expert

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:14 am

Need to see it in 2D, the 3D was way too dark to see a lot of what was going on in the big battle.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:21 am

Looking forward to Phase 4, hopefully Spiderman gives a tease for it in a few months. especially since it looks like the 2020 movies will be prequels.
mobius006
Art Freak

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:11 pm

pjsteelerfan wrote:Looking forward to Phase 4, hopefully Spiderman gives a tease for it in a few months. especially since it looks like the 2020 movies will be prequels.
GOTG 3 really would fit in well to keep things going if it kept its original date.
schmoff
Art Expert

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:32 pm

asguardians of the galaxy