Marvel Cinematic Universe

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Some pretty bold rumors from Latino Review. I know, I know, it's LR, so take it with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, rumors and speculation can be fun so thought I'd post this in case anyone else found it interesting.

The Sony hack revealed that some discussions had been ongoing between Sony and Marvel re: spiderman. This latest report indicates that a deal has either been reached or is imminent. Beyond that, I will say that there are other potentially massive spoilers. For all we know, none of this is even true, but I want to make very clear that there are huge spoilers if any of it is legit.

Seriously, there are spoilers that could pretty much ruin all of Phase 3 ...

Ok, here's the link (final SPOILER warning): url hidden to hide the article title
Last edited by MatchsMalone on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:41 pm

The link actually holds a LOT of MCU potential spoilers, so the long and short of it (and probably the one everybody will see on the blogs so I don't think it's as big a spoiler compared to the plot details the article brings up) is: Spider-Man deal may be done, appearing in Infinity War Part 1.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
binky79
Art Expert

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:55 pm

Didn't check out the article but, if Spider-man does crossover, I hope it isnt Garfield. Maguire or reboot.
matowest
Art Expert

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:10 pm

binky79 wrote:Didn't check out the article but, if Spider-man does crossover, I hope it isnt Garfield. Maguire or reboot.
Article seems to indicated it would not be Garfield, but someone new
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:36 pm

This late in the game I don't even need Spider-Man in the MCU.
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:37 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:This late in the game I don't even need Spider-Man in the MCU.
You will to make the MCU post-Phase 3 interesting. ;)
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:39 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:This late in the game I don't even need Spider-Man in the MCU.
I'm kinda with you actually. It would have made sense for Civil War since he has such a critical role in the comics, but it's way too late to shoehorn him into that. Pretty sure it starts production fairly soon.
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Darkknight37
Art Expert

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:42 pm

I'd rather they go after the X-Men or FF (especially for Galactus and Silver Surfer).

But what I really want is MCU Punisher.
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:48 pm

Nah, I think Spidey's critical to bringing back some of the man-on-the-streets/lightness that the core Avengers seem to be moving away from (though I know they're trying to bring that focus back with Daredevil et al). Him coming in at the end of Phase 3 means more potential for everything afterward...plus I really didn't like the idea of shoe-horning him into Civil War when there's already gonna be like, 3 other storylines running in it to lead it from Age of Ultron to whatever else they have in store.

And it's not likely, if ever, that they'll ever get X-Men/FF back without a massive buyout of some sort. Between Fox possibly pulling off their own X-Men expanded universe (if Deadpool actually succeeds) and the fact that the Fox/Marvel dynamic has been reported as being contentious (compared to Marvel and Sony being pretty supportive of each other)...

I'm excited, if only because Marvel would do a helluva better job with a Spidey solo movie.
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:02 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:I'd rather they go after the X-Men or FF (especially for Galactus and Silver Surfer).

But what I really want is MCU Punisher.
Totally agree, maybe the Spiderman thing is just viewed as low hanging fruit? For me personally, the idea of seeing whatever piece of crap Sony does next with Spiderman doesn't conjure nearly the excitement that I have for either the X-men or MCU, etc.

Here's the domestic gross of the last 3 movies:
Spiderman 3: 336 million
Amazing Spiderman: 262 million
Amazing Spiderman 2: 200 million

The first couple films made truckloads of cash, but as the quality of the films has deteriorated, so has the public's interest. Don't get me wrong, Spiderman is still a cash cow, but I can see the appeal of jumping on the MCU bandwagon and letting Marvel do all of the work while Sony sits back and collects a check, with very little investment, from a couple of 6-700 million dollar grossing Avengers films.

Odess
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Let me start by saying I LOVE the MCU movies. This is just more of a I hope they're not biting off more than they can chew. I keep the comics and movies separate. Doesn't matter if it follows it exactly. They are doing their own thing.

Personally I would love to see Spidey in the MCU. He was in a key role during the Civil War.

My bigger concern is the lack of scope for the movie. Don't get me wrong, Marvel does scope in whole fantastically. What they haven't done too much though is establish smaller characters. The MCU still seems so small to do something so big.

All they really have is the heroes/villains from the movies and that's really it.

Out of all The Defenders only Daredevil and MAYBE Jessica Jones will be out. Inhumans won't be out, Dr. Strange won't be out, etc.

They can go a different route with Civil War and make it the start of something bigger, but they'd be wasting a fairly big opportunity.

Let's go over a list of characters that will "exist" in MCU by the time this movie comes out. I am not including galactic Marvel as they will likely not be in it.

Heroes: Iron Man, War Machine, Hulk, Ant Man, Thor, Captain America, Falcon, Black Widow, Bucky Barnes, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Daredevil, Black Panther

Villains: Abomination, Red Skull (Where is he??), Loki, Ultron, Yellowjacket. So few bad guys. Most of them have been killed off. I can't see Loki or Ultron being involved.

That's not exactly a whole lot to work with. Civil War involved most heroes and villains. For the scope of a movie it might be okay. They'll probably focus a lot more on the Steve Rogers vs. Tony Stark thing. But man, Marvel is massive. They could have had minor actors in the background in other movies as cameos, boom established. Rather than having to do it now.

I don't know, it's just me nitpicking. But I'm just genuinely curious on the approach they'll take.
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:25 pm

My prediction: Avengers 2 post-credit will introduce a (CG) Spidey.
WhoLikesRingo wrote:This single post led to a roller coaster of emotion. Congrats kharma, king of the thread.
schmoff
Art Expert

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:34 am

daredevil trailer looks good
very excited for this

http://www.superherohype.com/news/32886 ... e#/slide/1
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:39 am

Looking forward to it.
karza
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:01 am

MatchsMalone wrote:
I'm kinda with you actually. It would have made sense for Civil War since he has such a critical role in the comics, but it's way too late to shoehorn him into that. Pretty sure it starts production fairly soon.
Not only did Spider-man have a big role in the Civil War, but Norman Osborn had a really big part as well. I guess he would come over with Spidey if they get him.