Preacher on AMC

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Post Reply
User avatar
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert
Posts: 6560
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: Houston

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Is anyone else sad about Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg being behind the Preacher series to be on AMC? I'm actually stoked to see Preacher make it to a series, it definitely needs to be this rather than a film. Plus I think AMC is probably the best chance it has to be a success. Will it even make it to the screen? What's the audience interest going to be like for this kind of series?

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/preache ... rogen-amc/
User avatar
greenhorn1
Art Expert
Posts: 8756
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:00 am

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:26 pm

I think netflix or HBO were the only chance to do this series right. There's just no way they can show enough on AMC to do this series justice.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
User avatar
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert
Posts: 6560
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: Houston

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:30 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:I think netflix or HBO were the only chance to do this series right. There's just no way they can show enough on AMC to do this series justice.
I kind of think opposite. I think AMC will allow the creative freedom to be there and give the comic more justice.
User avatar
TattooMike
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 661
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:02 am
Location: Louisville, Ky

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
I kind of think opposite. I think AMC will allow the creative freedom to be there and give the comic more justice.
A little concerned that AMC will have to censor too much.
ironjaiden wrote: ...because I'm a 14 year old boy trapped in a middle aged asshole suit.
User avatar
RyanMarvin
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:24 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:52 pm

TattooMike wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:
I kind of think opposite. I think AMC will allow the creative freedom to be there and give the comic more justice.
A little concerned that AMC will have to censor too much.
I think that anyone that hasn't read the series will probably love it and those who have read the series will despise it. There is no way they will be able to cover some of the topics the books covered without washing it clean of what made it so great in the first place. I always said HBO would be the only place I could see it done properly. I don't think Netflix is ready to offer something like it. Now that I think about it more, I don't think it belongs anywhere else but the medium for which it was created.
User avatar
punch
Art Expert
Posts: 3982
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 pm

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:58 pm

I'm worried about this show being hampered with a crappy budget in it's first season. This show needs some money behind it to make it quality. Theres a lot of action and special effects that NEED to happen.

How do you guys think they will handle Arseface?? He's gonig to be a controversial character they lift an exact version of him from the comics. He might be hard for people to take seriously.

Image
User avatar
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert
Posts: 6560
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: Houston

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Have faith guys, have faith. The only thing giving me hope is the creators having input in it. Can't we all just hope for the best?
User avatar
RyanMarvin
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:24 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:16 pm

punch wrote:I'm worried about this show being hampered with a crappy budget in it's first season. This show needs some money behind it to make it quality. Theres a lot of action and special effects that NEED to happen.

How do you guys think they will handle Arseface?? He's gonig to be a controversial character they lift an exact version of him from the comics. He might be hard for people to take seriously.

Image
For what it's worth, this was a makeup test for him a long time ago when they were developing the movie:

Image
User avatar
TattooMike
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 661
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:02 am
Location: Louisville, Ky

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:Have faith guys, have faith. The only thing giving me hope is the creators having input in it. Can't we all just hope for the best?
Kinda hard to have faith when it concerns this series being broadcast on basic cable. I'll hope for the best, but expect to be disappointed. That being said, it would be cool to see the most bad-ass comic book character of all time, The Saint of Killers, in anything live action.
ironjaiden wrote: ...because I'm a 14 year old boy trapped in a middle aged asshole suit.
User avatar
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert
Posts: 6560
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: Houston

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:53 pm

TattooMike wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:Have faith guys, have faith. The only thing giving me hope is the creators having input in it. Can't we all just hope for the best?
Kinda hard to have faith when it concerns this series being broadcast on basic cable. I'll hope for the best, but expect to be disappointed. That being said, it would be cool to see the most bad-ass comic book character of all time, The Saint of Killers, in anything live action.
I understand. I just enjoy Preacher so much that I'm praying it somehow works.
User avatar
mrkyuss
Art God
Posts: 26868
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:30 am
Location: Melbourne

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:41 am

RyanMarvin wrote:
punch wrote:I'm worried about this show being hampered with a crappy budget in it's first season. This show needs some money behind it to make it quality. Theres a lot of action and special effects that NEED to happen.

How do you guys think they will handle Arseface?? He's gonig to be a controversial character they lift an exact version of him from the comics. He might be hard for people to take seriously.

Image
For what it's worth, this was a makeup test for him a long time ago when they were developing the movie:

Image
Dude looks like he's drinking man juice.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
User avatar
mtarail
Art Expert
Posts: 3226
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 am
Location: AZ

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:58 am

TattooMike wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:
I kind of think opposite. I think AMC will allow the creative freedom to be there and give the comic more justice.
A little concerned that AMC will have to censor too much.
AMC has more than proven their chops to do this kind of material. Lots of Hollywood guys are huge comic geeks, so Rogen being behind it is a plus too, imo. If he enjoyed the comic as a kid/young adult like me, I'm sure he wants to see this get translated to a tv screen the right way. I'm psyched to see it.

My only concern, which overlaps with mike, is the cursing. It's been awhile since I read preacher but my memory is that the cursing was a big part of Jesse's character. How much will that have to get tamped to down for AMC to be able to air it?
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 50981
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:01 am

Cinlabyrinth wrote:Seth Rogen
Oof.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
antiyou
Art Expert
Posts: 2768
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:00 am

Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Look what they did to walking dead. This is going to be awful. :hanging: :x :cry:
Won't be in a position to sell for a few months. Not likely before end of May 2014 please don't pm and ask.
User avatar
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert
Posts: 6560
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: Houston

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:20 pm

#neverforget
http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news ... tation-305
Evan Goldberg confirms work has begun on AMC's Preacher adaptation

Sep. 8, 2014by: Kevin Woods

Back in February we learned that AMC and Sony Pictures Television had closed a deal to develop Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s 1990s comic book "Preacher" into a dramatic series for the network that brought us "The Walking Dead". It was also announced that Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are among the writers and producers with former "Breaking Bad" executive producer Sam Catlin serving as "Preacher's" showrunner. In May Goldberg and producer James Weaver shared some insight into developing the series and what we can expect, but things have been relatively quiet since then.

Over the weekend Goldberg confirmed that work has begun on the script and shared that "Preacher" creator Garth Ennis is involved with helping to get the series just right by sharing some notes with the writers. Goldberg shared this news on Twitter, responding to a fans request for an update. Check it out below:

PREACHER follows Jesse Custer, a reverend who has learned that God has left Heaven and abandoned His responsibilities. He finds himself the only person capable of tracking God down, demanding answers, and making Him answer for His dereliction of duty. Accompanying Jesse on his journey is his former girlfriend and a friendly vampire who seems to prefer a pint in the pub to the blood of the innocent. On his tail is an immortal, unstoppable killing machine named the Saint of Killers – a western lone gunman archetype whose sole purpose is to hunt and kill Jesse.

Original Films’ Neal Moritz and Vivian Cannon also executive producing.

We're probably still a long ways off from seeing "Preacher" hit AMC, but the wheels are most definitely turning. We'll keep you posted on news regarding this new series as we hear it!
Post Reply