A Wretched Hive - The Star Wars Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
jpicken
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:20 pm

cotis wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:13 am
davemfan wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:41 pm
Spoiler alert

seriously though, who had sex with palps? What did finn want so badly to tell Rey that he never got around to doing?
I think it was that he knew Rey's true parents/grandparents. my take away was that Leia told him because she trusted him.
I heard something along the lines that Finn was feeling the Force.
ImageX5
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:03 pm

mike123230 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:54 am
I loved it. I read some of these reviews about how it was a squandered opportunity, or wasn't bold enough, or whatever the drymount. It's a movie about people using magic in space, where even major stars can't resist going "pew pew pew" when they fire a blaster. It's meant to be drymounting fun. It's not meant to be Citizen Kane. I walked out thinking it stuck the landing and can't wait to watch it again.
More than a few variations of this statement lately, just looking for some story and craft.
fredo
Art God

Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:28 am

Point of order: this is not The End. Apart from the fact that the whole thing could at any time, and likely will in a few years, be rebooted, the end happened when Luke burned Vader’s body. #nubnub

Rest has been half ego trip, half amu$ement park ride.

Ps they oughta shoot 9 more eps focused on Greedo’s life/death and his family’s quest for vengeance. #whoshotlast
just a foil for me today, thanks
trarex
Art Expert

Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:39 am

They should have let Rey stay dead . Took away good story telling for a happy ending
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:34 pm

FrankBooth wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:03 pm
mike123230 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:54 am
I loved it. I read some of these reviews about how it was a squandered opportunity, or wasn't bold enough, or whatever the drymount. It's a movie about people using magic in space, where even major stars can't resist going "pew pew pew" when they fire a blaster. It's meant to be drymounting fun. It's not meant to be Citizen Kane. I walked out thinking it stuck the landing and can't wait to watch it again.
More than a few variations of this statement lately, just looking for some story and craft.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:33 am

trarex wrote:
They should have let Rey stay dead . Took away good story telling for a happy ending
This^ (Chewie as well)
Devours
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:50 am

Finally saw the film and loved it. A feeling of relief almost lol. Last Jedi was awful, not subversive, not intelligent, just someone trying to reinvent the wheel. JJ did a great job of capturing well deserved nostalgia and closing story arcs. The movie was intense and the characters were true to themselves and more importantly together. Was not expecting the emotional pull of seeing the originals back in the movie as well as the nice touch of Wedge, (John Williams), all the Jedi voices from past films etc. The Emperor's digs were incredible, I was happily geeking out at his wretched voice. The redemption of Kylo Ren was aces and I so happy Chewie and R2 did not perish. Iconic characters should not always be killed off.

Was thrilled to see the crap character of Rose stay in the background. Such a forced uninspiring choice in Last Jedi, but hey the film was like that and easily the worst of the series.

This movie has refreshed my enthusiasm for more movies down the road, but right now LucasFilm is doing everything right with The Mandalorian.

....what a freaking awesome Season Finale was.

Except for IG. Nah.
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:19 am

trarex wrote:
It would have been more interesting if she turned to the darkside
peacedog
Art Expert

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:54 pm

I've got a few gripes but overall I enjoyed it more than Last Jedi. Light speed skipping was a waste of time, as was 3PO needing a programming reboot. I would have much preferred a better backstory on how the emperor survived the Death Star and who all the Sith peoples were. How do you hide 50,000 Star Destroyers? Wedge Antilles finally gets some dialog after 30 years, he's still just checking in. Space horses? Force ghosts can catch things now? The Knights of Ren were lackluster and I would have assumed they were loyal to Kylo firstly over the emperor, being his knights.

Good to see the Tantive IV. Ackbar's son now sitting in the command chair, a bit of redemption for his father's meaningly death (scene). Chewie's emoting over Leia got me pretty hard. Rey's lightsaber made out of her staff, nice touch.

SPAC04 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:08 pm
Saw it last night...t looked great at least. Shades of fan fic plot lines. Wish they just did a Grand Admiral Thrawn angle in leiu of kinda ruining the franchise with poor uninspired plot recycling and thinly veiled social-political leanings that shouldn't exist a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Also climatic plot hole with the Palatine's plan (that he dumbly revealed) was ignored (right?) in that his plan was for Rey to kill him and Sith her out, then she did and it didn't happen(?). One big reason I really loved "Rogue One" was the sacrifice of ALL the central characters for a noble cause, ROTS was too precious with the core protagonist characters as NO ONE died except deep fake Leia who should have died in the beginning of TLJ with the rest of the republic leadership (ACKBAR!) until she Mary popped back in. Thought Chewie SHOULD HAVE died cause that fudge was deep but again lack of commitment. Also according to the pairing in the end no one got laid for their heroic efforts. Boo -. Did love the Emperor and his Sith Cult depiction. Wasted opportunities. The king is dead, Mandalorian is my only hope.
I don't think Palpatine was being entirely honest with Rey about his intentions.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:30 pm

wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:11 pm

Probably a Bossk but not really BOSSK... lol
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Mon May 04, 2020 4:57 pm

fredo
Art God

Tue May 05, 2020 4:05 am

Go, team!
#haka
just a foil for me today, thanks
schmoff
Art Expert

Tue May 05, 2020 10:13 am

Great news
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Wed May 06, 2020 11:09 am

Robert Rodriguez Directing in Season 2 of The Mandalorian

Well, we all knew that Robert Rodriguez is cool, but now he's Baby Yoda cool. Yup, the Austin moviemaking powerhouse let it drop that he's part of the director lineup for season 2 of the smash hit series on Disney+, The Mandalorian.

Rodriguez is no stranger to franchises, having built multiple himself (Sin City, Grindhouse, and Spy Kids), and dabbling in others (directing Alita: Battle Angel and producing Predators at his Troublemaker Studios facility in East Austin). But now he's part of arguably the greatest cinematic legacy of all time, the Star Wars universe.

He let the news drop through Twitter yesterday (May the Fourth - Star Wars day, natch), indicating that he actually shot his episode (or episodes) earlier this year.

The series is headlined by Pedro Pascal as the unnamed and eternally masked Mandalorian, but the breakout star is the Child, a baby from the same species as Jedi Master Yoda. Rumor has it that Season 2 will see the introduction of actress Rosario Dawson as fan favorite character Ahsoka Tano, meaning the potential for a reunion with Rodriguez, who directed her in Sin City and produced the Death Proof segment of Grindhouse, in which she played the tough-as-nails Abernathy.

Rodriguez fills out an already impressive roster of directing talent confirmed for Season 2, with Peyton Reed (Ant-Man, Ant Man and the Wasp) signing up to join returnees from Season 1 including Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), series creator Jon Favreau, and Disney-era Star Wars mainstay Dave Filoni.

Expect the further adventures of Mando and the Child to arrive later this year.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq