The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
dr_flie
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:39 pm

For Miike, I would recommend The Happiness of the Katakuris. Probably one of my favourite of his.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:49 pm

dr_flie wrote:For Miike, I would recommend The Happiness of the Katakuris. Probably one of my favourite of his.
Thats one i am yet to catch. Keep missing it on TV :(

Watching Shinya Tsukamoto's (spelling?) " tetsuo:the iron man" right now.
Drumounting insane flick. Not great,but insane! Six-foot rooster drill, FTW!
Far better than Bodyhammer and TokyoFist,though.....
Image VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
wizzack
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Anyone see Antiviral? Any good?
dr_flie
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 pm

OtomoChaser wrote:
dr_flie wrote:For Miike, I would recommend The Happiness of the Katakuris. Probably one of my favourite of his.

It's somewhat of a dark comedy. Sound of Music meets Night of the Living Dead.. well.. not really, but tons of fun. Hard to explain..But that's Miike for you.

On the Ichi the Killer subject, anyone see Ichi? It's a prequel, although done after the Miike film. Curious what other folks thought.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 pm

I can't decide on the ichi prequel....it was okay..i guess. The martial arts grappling was great,but the highschool setting was lame. Not enough ichi action,coulda used the school as a plot setup,then flashed forward to show Ichi as we know n love him. I'm sure he must have killed other 'bullies' than Kakihara and the Yakuzas gangs and i wanna see that. Its what i expected when i got my prequel on dvd.....maybe why i was disappointed. I might give it another go with that in mind.
Brutal limb-breaking though,not bad really,but really not a true ichi film.
My 2 cents.
アキラ
dr_flie
Art Expert

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:05 am

Pretty much my thoughts as well. The high school seems to be a common setting for Japanese horrors.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:13 am

dr_flie wrote:Pretty much my thoughts as well. The high school seems to be a common setting for Japanese horrors.
Yup,what you said. It must be a cultural thing. Their high schools are high pressure,so i guess it is their main trope. I don't often enjoy japanese highschool horrors,generic as hell, 'suicide circle'etc.

Battle Royale is an exception,though that is more about students and thankfully not locked into a school environment.

Must be a japanese psyche thing,i dont think korea or hong kong flicks have the same obsession,but i could be wrong on that. But a hell of a lot of anime is like it too. Urotsukidoji,demon beast invasion,adventure high school,nightmare campus.
At least those have tentacle demons!

So to summarise : ichi prequel = needs more tentacle rape! :P
アキラ
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:02 am

wizzack wrote:Anyone see Antiviral? Any good?
It is different. You can definitely see his fathers influence in his filmmaking. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was a really good flick and it is something completely different from all the other vanilla horror flicks that get churned out month after month. I'd recommend it but it is definitely a very divisive film. I think it's a love or a hate thing and not really any in between.

Btw Otomo, my fiancé and I watched the Maniac remake last night. Give it a whirl man. I think you'll like it. It is definitely better than almost every other horror remake ive seen. It was really weird seeing Elijah wood in a film like that and I wasn't sure if they were going to skimp out on the gore and tone it down.....they didn't at all.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:19 am

^ Thanks for the review. I shall definitely add it to the list. Nice to see Hollywood do something a little more daring and different from.the clichéd franchise stuff that usually gets put out. And a good remake! Must be worth a few bucks of anyones money.

Have you seen Chromeskull:laid to rest 2? Good old fashioned violent slasher. Great to watch if you dig gore and switch off your brain. Find it unrated,the R-rated is heavily censored. Bastard MPAA.
Directed by a special effects guy, the gore effects are really far out. Brutal as drymount.
AAA-110x150.jpg
Last edited by OtomoChaser on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
アキラ
DonPiano
Art Expert

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:04 pm

I wasn't sold on it, but I'd still recommend it to people. It's so insane and all over the shop that it's worth a viewing. I'm a big Audition fan myself.

I got Dark Night of the Scarecrow off eBay the other day and yet to watch it, fingers crossed it's good.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:31 pm

Did anyone see VHS?

Is it worth it??
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:12 pm

chisoxfan2424 wrote:Did anyone see VHS?

Is it worth it??
2 segments are really strong 2 are mediocre and one is very meh. I don't think it warranted all the hype it received but it's a decent anthology flick. I wish they made more quality anthology movies. I'm a sucker for them.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
Skrilly
Art Expert

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:08 pm

chisoxfan2424 wrote:Did anyone see VHS?

Is it worth it??
It was okay. I expected a lot better after everything I heard about it. I guess I shouldn't have had my expectations so high and then maybe I would have enjoyed it more. Oh well, you should give it a shot though.
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 02, 2013 4:20 am

OtomoChaser wrote:

Shinya Tsukamoto is one of my favorite directors. A Snake of June is a masterpiece and his new one Kotoko is amazing too.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Thu May 02, 2013 4:25 am

I'll check those out if i can find them. Only things i've seen by him are the tetsuos and bodyhammer. Guy has a wicked style,for sure. Particularly on Iron Man.
アキラ