The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
lilorphanFunkhouser
Art Expert

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:17 pm

dr_flie wrote:A few horror's that I've watched and mostly enjoyed. Image
]
this movie rules, Ti West is one of my favorite new directors along with Jason Eisner, these are other Ti West gems if you have not seen them i suggest you give them a watch.

i'm sure everyone saw this one.

this one was drymounting awesome.

Ti West had a section in this one, i know a lot of people fudge on this one but i really enjoyed it, i'm a sucker for anthology horror films.

this one is so good, another horror anthology, my favorite was "C" is for Cycle. also the claymation one can't remember the name but it was awesome. and of course "Y" is for Young buck, Eisner is the man.
アキラImage
"Gkohler"-it only takes 1 idiot to throw that much cash at something for it to instantly be "worth" that much.
"Celsius"- Welcome to Expressobeans, bitch.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:47 pm

I'm not sold of Ti West's films. There's a point where being minimalistic just turns into really boring. I'll still watch his movies, but they're not the greatest horror films around like a lot of people suggest they are. The amount of five star reviews for The Innkeeper's was nuts, it's average at best.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
captainhavoc
Art Expert

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:49 pm

In one of the segments in The ABC's of Death you can see an Ansin Space Seed thumbtacked to a wall. :cry:
Ayes wrote:Maybe all these dates who've been turning you down see you in your yard hurling cat food and blowing weed smoke at your neighbor's pets.
Skrilly
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:36 am

DonPiano wrote: The amount of five star reviews for The Innkeeper's was nuts, it's average at best.
I agree, that movie was just okay, I didn't think it was anything special.
lilorphanFunkhouser
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:29 pm

captainhavoc wrote:In one of the segments in The ABC's of Death you can see an Ansin Space Seed thumbtacked to a wall. :cry:
i noticed that too haha.
アキラImage
"Gkohler"-it only takes 1 idiot to throw that much cash at something for it to instantly be "worth" that much.
"Celsius"- Welcome to Expressobeans, bitch.
Moran
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm

VHS and Innkeepers posters are waaaay better than those films

Liked Innkeepers but I feel it didn't deliver the goods
dylanosaur
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Moran wrote:VHS and Innkeepers posters are waaaay better than those films

I was a little bored with Innkeepers. I think it was due to some serious pacing issues. It did have pretty good tension built up towards the end though, I'll give it that. And it didn't hurt that Sara Paxton was pretty easy on the eyes.

Speaking of tension towards the end, check out [Rec] if you haven't seen it. (Not the crappy American remake).
antiyou
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:41 pm

dylanosaur wrote:
Moran wrote:VHS and Innkeepers posters are waaaay better than those films

I was a little bored with Innkeepers. I think it was due to some serious pacing issues. It did have pretty good tension built up towards the end though, I'll give it that. And it didn't hurt that Sara Paxton was pretty easy on the eyes.

Speaking of tension towards the end, check out [Rec] if you haven't seen it. (Not the crappy American remake).

REC. was a pretty good film. I enjoyed it. I totally agree with the Innkeepers. I had my finger on the esc key to turn it off when something happened. I thought VHS was absolutely terrible. Nearly unwatchable. I would also say that ABC's of Death IS unwatchable.
Won't be in a position to sell for a few months. Not likely before end of May 2014 please don't pm and ask.
antiyou
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:59 am

antiyou wrote:
jlabbate wrote:to the folks who said "A Serbian Film" wasn't that bad (violence wise)..which version did you see?
I saw the uncut version..and I gotta say..while the violence wasn't overly extreme the images & subject matter therein was pretty twisted fudge

It's not the most graphic film I've seen but for normies, the ones who don't watch this kind of thing every day/week, it is a pretty rough ride. As I said previously, the only part I enjoyed was the katana scene, strictly for the ridiculous images on the screen. I could see many people taking serious issue with the newborn and the ending.

Also, from the UK, I enjoyed Mum & Dad. I believe that is the one where the family worked at the airport no?

After 13 Assassins, I grabbed Miike's last film from the store the other day without knowing anything about it. I have a love/hate with Miike. His pacing is almost unbearable in some films but I was so impressed with 13 Assassins, I can't see how another samurai movie could be a bad thing.
Famous last words... Hara-Kiri Death of a Samurai was not a good investment. Like Miike's other films, pacing is almost unbearable. However, other than a brief bit of violence at the beginning, it had no payoff and left me wishing I had that time back to watch something else. I know it's not a horror movie but Miike's penchant for graphic violence gets him a free pass into this thread IMO.
Won't be in a position to sell for a few months. Not likely before end of May 2014 please don't pm and ask.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:30 am

I'm with you on Miike,he lacks consistency and appears not to know or care how to pace or structure his work.
The film of his i appreciate most is Ichi The Killer,as i am also a fan of the original manga paperbacks (which are even more graphic and rapey,if you can imagine such a thing), but i will be the first to admit that even Ichi has serious pacing and plot exposition issues. Mind you,he was condensing about 1000+ pages into a two hour feature,and the end result is pretty faithful and very watchable. Just slightly overlong.
As i said earlier in the thread,i can't decide if it is a 'true' horror film, it isn't easy to pidgeonhole in that way,ditto with Audition. But the savage treatment of characters physically and sexually,combined with Miike's propensity for focussing on the infliction of pain in graphic detail - burning off tattoo on a guys back with oil as he hangs from giant hooks,live dismemberment/beatings/rapes of the female protagonists etc - push it very very close to the upper limits of genre horror for most people. I've had so many people request the dvd be switched off, takashi must be doing something right.....or at least something very wrong for the average viewer.
Image VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
antiyou
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:08 pm

I like Audition better than Ichi but totally agree. Ichi is in a league of it's own. I can't believe I actually found the BR version of that movie at WalMart. They edit music and movies to be sold in WalMart so I was skeptical when I saw Ichi there. After watching, it's the same cut I had on DVD for years. It's astounding to me that the dumbass redneck corporation will cause a ruckus over certain things but have cheap BR's of Ichi that any kid could buy. :hanging:
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:41 pm

antiyou wrote:I like Audition better than Ichi but totally agree. Ichi is in a league of it's own. I can't believe I actually found the BR version of that movie at WalMart. They edit music and movies to be sold in WalMart so I was skeptical when I saw Ichi there. After watching, it's the same cut I had on DVD for years. It's astounding to me that the dumbass redneck corporation will cause a ruckus over certain things but have cheap BR's of Ichi that any kid could buy. :hanging:
Awesome find! I have the uncut dutch release,i hope the bluray is the same. There's about 4 different cuts as i recall - cut UK, cut US, a hong kong festival edition with cuts and removed plot scenes, and the directors cut/unrated . Plus this possibly uncut bluray you have.

I'm struggling right now to remember the full cut details,but a pictorial rundown for all versions is on movie-censorship.com if anyone is curious as to which edit they have. UK loses over 3 minutes.
As i recall,if the print has Kakihara snapping all the lady gangsters fingers instead of just 1, then the print is a complete edit. Very complex censorship history on this one.

The anime is very poor though. The live action prequel is adequate but not particularly great.
The manga book is utterly brilliant,but thoroughly depraved...banned in its native country!
アキラ
cjevy
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Havent seen Ichi in a while, I might have to dust it off this weekend. I bought some crazy version where the cover was a blood bag or something, I think that was uncut.
follow @cjevy
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:13 pm

cjevy wrote:Havent seen Ichi in a while, I might have to dust it off this weekend. I bought some crazy version where the cover was a blood bag or something, I think that was uncut.
Yup,blood bag edition is uncut :)
アキラ
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:19 pm

For Miike, Gozu and Visitor Q are where it's at.