The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:23 pm

TattooMike wrote:The uncut "Serbian Film" is no more incredible than the original NC-17 version of "Murder-Set-Pieces". I love horror movies, but there was nothing entertaining about either of those. Just violence and gore for the sake of violence and gore. It IS possible to be violent, gory and still be entertianing. To each his own. I do agree on "Martyrs" though.

I always wondered what happened with "The Poughkeepsie Tapes". It went the way of "Trick r' Treat" and "All The Boys Love Mandy Lane" as movies that the studio, for whatever reason, did not want to release. The only reason that "Trick r' Treat" ever made it to dvd, and subsequently blu-ray, was due to it's large fan base writing in to WB. I never heard anything else about those other two. Now the market has become saturated with terrible found footage films leaving me a little jaded towards that sub-genre. Would've like to have seen Poughkeepsie back when it was first made.
I read a few weeks back that "All The Boys Love Mandy Lane" is supposed to be released on either Blu-ray or see a limited theater run later this summer(june?)
I forgot which :(
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Murder Set Pieces is illegal over here. I dont mind,there was little redeemable artistically in that one.

Anyone seen the remake of Lustig's 'Maniac'? I'd like to know if its worth a watch.

All the boys love mandy lane got a uk release. I didnt enjoy it. Passes the time though.

Can't beat Cannibal Holocaust as a 'found footage' film,just a shame about the horrid animal cruelty.
Image VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
antiyou
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:47 pm

OtomoChaser wrote:
TattooMike wrote:The uncut "Serbian Film" is no more incredible than the original NC-17 version of "Murder-Set-Pieces". I love horror movies, but there was nothing entertaining about either of those. Just violence and gore for the sake of violence and gore. It IS possible to be violent, gory and still be entertianing. To each his own. I do agree on "Martyrs" though.

I always wondered what happened with "The Poughkeepsie Tapes". It went the way of "Trick r' Treat" and "All The Boys Love Mandy Lane" as movies that the studio, for whatever reason, did not want to release. The only reason that "Trick r' Treat" ever made it to dvd, and subsequently blu-ray, was due to it's large fan base writing in to WB. I never heard anything else about those other two. Now the market has become saturated with terrible found footage films leaving me a little jaded towards that sub-genre. Would've like to have seen Poughkeepsie back when it was first made.
Serbian Film is far better executed than Murder Set Pieces. And its supposed to be allegorical,though i admit the subtext is poorly explored and obscured by the nastiness. I forget that u guys are in the u.s - in the uk,serbian film was extremely heavily censored,hence my preference for and reference to the uncut above any other.
Its explicit,but never gratuitous for gratuitys sake.just my opinion though. I love the movie.
I have to admit, I didn't find a subtext to "A Serbian Film". I didn't particularly enjoy it but it wasn't awful (well it was, but good awful not bad awful). I loved the Katana scene though, that made the room roar with laughter.
Personally, I can't recall a horror film I've enjoyed as much as Martyrs since. I thought Kill List was decent at best. I had a copy with terrible audio so some dialogue and sound effects were extremely loud and others, almost inaudible.
Won't be in a position to sell for a few months. Not likely before end of May 2014 please don't pm and ask.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:57 pm

antiyou wrote:
OtomoChaser wrote:

Serbian Film is far better executed than Murder Set Pieces. And its supposed to be allegorical,though i admit the subtext is poorly explored and obscured by the nastiness. I forget that u guys are in the u.s - in the uk,serbian film was extremely heavily censored,hence my preference for and reference to the uncut above any other.
Its explicit,but never gratuitous for gratuitys sake.just my opinion though. I love the movie.
I have to admit, I didn't find a subtext to "A Serbian Film". I didn't particularly enjoy it but it wasn't awful (well it was, but good awful not bad awful). I loved the Katana scene though, that made the room roar with laughter.
Personally, I can't recall a horror film I've enjoyed as much as Martyrs since. I thought Kill List was decent at best. I had a copy with terrible audio so some dialogue and sound effects were extremely loud and others, almost inaudible.
I keep returning to Martyrs,i absolutely love it. I so wanna talk at length about it here,but any spoilers will ruin it for those lucky enough to have it on their 'to view' list.
Not sure what else the director has done,but one to look out for.
I repeat my reccomendation for 'the loved ones'. Its super smart.

Yeah ,the Serbian Film subtext is pretty tenuous and possibly just the director talking pretentiously following the furore. Something about how a state can force people to commit acts they don't wish to do. I think it all gets lost in the unpleasantness of it all, but I figure that is the reason for one character being Serbian intelligence,and rape being used as a weapon as it also was in their war with Bosnia. That country has a lot of demons to exorcise from the Balkan conflict. But an OTT horror is not really the place,especially an OTT horror from a country with a fledgeling emergent cinema. I think the intention was there,but not the skill for execution.

Mind you,Wes Craven said Last House On The Left was a response to film violence and the Vietnam War. He also said Elm St was a Vietnam war allegory once,as i recall. Maybe they have to say these things to try and create artistic justification when they get called on their fudge for going too far.

I thought the scene with the rooster in eyesocket impalement was utterly hysterical. probably not the intention.... :lol:
Last edited by OtomoChaser on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
アキラ
dr_flie
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:59 pm

A few horror's that I've watched and mostly enjoyed.

OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:00 pm

I loved Thirst.
The director hasnt made a bad film yet.
Not seen his new hollywood movie,but it got good reviews over here.
アキラ
antiyou
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:07 pm

The Innkeepers was a surprise. I thought I was going to turn it off but it got better.

Thirst is a nice take on vamps. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I kind of expected more gore though.

For the US/UKer's this is a pretty neat little Canadian film that spawned a somewhat interesting franchise:

Won't be in a position to sell for a few months. Not likely before end of May 2014 please don't pm and ask.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:12 pm

antiyou wrote:The Innkeepers was a surprise. I thought I was going to turn it off but it got better.

Thirst is a nice take on vamps. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I kind of expected more gore though.

For the US/UKer's this is a pretty neat little Canadian film that spawned a somewhat interesting franchise:

Cube rocks so hard. 2nd one was a pit poo. Havent seen or heard of more,but will check it out.
アキラ
antiyou
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:16 pm

OtomoChaser wrote:
antiyou wrote:The Innkeepers was a surprise. I thought I was going to turn it off but it got better.

Cube rocks so hard. 2nd one was a pit poo. Havent seen or heard of more,but will check it out.
IIRC Cube 3 got back on track, however, those were VHS days and I can't remember much from VHS days.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Love those VHS days. My videostore had a 2 for 1.50 ( about a dollar) rental thing post the dvd era. So many movie marathons were had for cheap off the back of that. I deeply resent paying todays prices for a single dvd rental. Especially when its of Hellraiser 8 or 9. :hanging:
アキラ
cjevy
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:25 pm

antiyou wrote:
OtomoChaser wrote:

IIRC Cube 3 got back on track, however, those were VHS days and I can't remember much from VHS days.
Cube is how you write a movie on a budget. Same room. Different colored lights. It's pretty genious and Im sure made a ton of $$ for the producers even if it never grossed that much BO
follow @cjevy
lilorphanFunkhouser
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:27 pm

OtomoChaser wrote:just a shame about the horrid animal cruelty.

that's not animal cruelty, Ruggero has always said that the animals that were killed were eaten by the natives that were in the film because that's what they eat in that side of the globe, nothing unhumane about that. sorry just bugs me when people refuse to watch the film because of those particular scenes. my vegan friend always fudge on that film because of those scenes so i told him there is a version that doesn't have those scenes in it. now he likes the movie. :lol:
アキラImage
"Gkohler"-it only takes 1 idiot to throw that much cash at something for it to instantly be "worth" that much.
"Celsius"- Welcome to Expressobeans, bitch.
lilorphanFunkhouser
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:32 pm

i know this cover looks really shitty but if you like Joe Dante stuff you will like this one for sure, i watched it the other day and it was awesome.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1085779/

アキラImage
"Gkohler"-it only takes 1 idiot to throw that much cash at something for it to instantly be "worth" that much.
"Celsius"- Welcome to Expressobeans, bitch.
dylanosaur
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:32 pm

I actually had a lot of fun with this one...

Not groundbreaking, but def a worthy horror flick

And yes Martyrs, Inside, and Frontiere's will always be the kings of (French)horror in my opinion.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:46 pm

lilorphanFunkhouser wrote:
OtomoChaser wrote:just a shame about the horrid animal cruelty.

that's not animal cruelty, Ruggero has always said that the animals that were killed were eaten by the natives that were in the film because that's what they eat in that side of the globe, nothing unhumane about that. sorry just bugs me when people refuse to watch the film because of those particular scenes. my vegan friend always fudge on that film because of those scenes so i told him there is a version that doesn't have those scenes in it. now he likes the movie. :lol:
I love the uncut version. I know they ate them, but it was unnecessary at the end of the day,just exploitation for shock value. The UK finally got an almost uncut print, the only bit they removed now is the muskrat stabbing. Its a great movie, I love it and rate it sooooo highly, but it is hard to get non fans to give it a fair go because of the contentious animal scenes. But you're right, cruelty is the wrong word. I shoulda said exploitative.
IMO,however, they did draw out the stabbing of the muskrat to a long painful death. At least they chopped the head off the Turtle first....
But no,I have no problem with the film really.
アキラ