The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:33 pm

I've heard really good things about https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_borderlands but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. It's supposed to be one of the better F.F. genre flicks from the past couple years.

Also, you can't go wrong with Cannibal Holocaust.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:57 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Seeking recommendations:
Taking Friday off and thinking of doing a Found Footage Friday marathon of four or five movies.
Thinking of doing Lake Mungo, Hell House LLC, Behind the Mask, and The Bay or REC, but would love suggestions. Debating including a Paranormal Activity film or something old school like Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, or Blair Witch.

You're watching a few found footage films (using a loose definition). What do you watch?
I was just thinking about how much I want to see Man Bites Dog again, so it gets my vote. And Rec is always fun.
andruw000
Art Expert

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:22 pm

some FF movies i'd recommend: exhibit a, noroi: the curse, banshee chapter, home movie, the den, europa report (more sci-fi), and megan is missing.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:48 pm

sixstringer wrote:I've heard really good things about https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_borderlands but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. It's supposed to be one of the better F.F. genre flicks from the past couple years.

I was actually just reading about the Borderlands. I'm definitely going to track it down one of these days.

andruw000 wrote:some FF movies i'd recommend: exhibit a, noroi: the curse, banshee chapter, home movie, the den, europa report (more sci-fi), and megan is missing.
I really liked Banshee Chapter and a. Noroi. Haven't seen the curse, that may be a good option.
I remember not really liking the Den, but I should rewatch it, since it comes highly recommended from so many folks. I wasn't a big fan of Megan is Missing, but those last 15 minutes… are drymounting nuts.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:56 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:
sixstringer wrote:I've heard really good things about https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_borderlands but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. It's supposed to be one of the better F.F. genre flicks from the past couple years.

I was actually just reading about the Borderlands. I'm definitely going to track it down one of these days.
It's odd that it was originally called Final Prayer (with the same poster, just different title) in the UK. I'm always fascinated by innocous name changes, as I'm not sure what drives them when it's from one non-descript name to another non-descript name.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Looks like it's streaming on Amazon as "Final Prayer."

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Prayer-Gor ... ay&sr=8-21
golobulus
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Is anyone else looking forward to the return of Joe Bob Brigg's next Friday night on Shudder?

https://news.avclub.com/shudder-bringin ... 1827809634

I hadn't heard of shudder but this pulled me in. Used to love watching Monstervision with Joe Bob's commentaries. Looking forward to next Friday now. :clap:
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:24 pm

Bought the new Arrow Video Blu-ray of TORSO last year and I just got around to watching it this morning. It has both the Italian version (94 minutes) and the American version (90 minutes). I'd only ever seen the American version and the extra 4 minutes are used to build more tension before a couple of death scenes, which I rather enjoyed. Compared to the American version, some of these scenes feel rushed. A great giallo if anyone hasn't seen it yet.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:38 pm

Whack opening for JBB. I thought he’d come out strong.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:51 pm

Surprised there hasn't been more discussion of "Us" here.
I loved some parts, thought s few concepts fell a bit shirt, and a couple elements were too openly telegraphed, but enjoyed it a lot, overall. Hoping to see it again in order to continue to unpack some of the themes and allusions.

I also remain cautiously optimistic as "Scary Stories" continues to roll out promo material.
Boognish23
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:55 am

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Surprised there hasn't been more discussion of "Us" here.
I loved some parts, thought s few concepts fell a bit shirt, and a couple elements were too openly telegraphed, but enjoyed it a lot, overall. Hoping to see it again in order to continue to unpack some of the themes and allusions.

I also remain cautiously optimistic as "Scary Stories" continues to roll out promo material.
I really enjoyed 'Us', been on my mind for the last few days since seeing it, the more I think about it the more I appreciate it. Really looking forward to seeing it again :pint:
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Saw the Pet Sematary remake, and I'm a bit torn. On one hand, I didn't think it was stupendous overall, the third act felt very rushed, and I didn't like a couple choices.
On the other hand, I appreciated that this version leaned a little harder on the Wendigo angle and the overall impact the burial ground has on people. I also appreciate the fact the filmmakers took a couple big swings (even if I didn't personally love them). Wish I would have waited for home video.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sat May 11, 2019 6:41 am

Been on a found footage kick lately. Now that the school year is over, I'm going to try to catch up on Amazon Prime horror.

If you like the genre, I definitely recommend Butterfly Kisses. It combines some worn tropes with some nice twists, and I was thoroughly entertained. The play on Blair Witch (and urban legends in general) was fun, and the film was surprisingly well made.

Beast of Bray Road was a fun little werewolf documentary. Nothing particularly new, but a fun, short doc-style film. And I love crypto's and docs.

Webcast was thoroughly meh. English kids… cult nonsense… blahblahblah.

Gifts From Strangers had an interesting core concept but was clearly made by folks with little to no experience. Probably could have made a decent short film, but there's not enough there to even justify its hour runtime.
andruw000
Art Expert

Wed May 15, 2019 11:45 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Been on a found footage kick lately. Now that the school year is over, I'm going to try to catch up on Amazon Prime horror.

If you like the genre, I definitely recommend Butterfly Kisses. It combines some worn tropes with some nice twists, and I was thoroughly entertained. The play on Blair Witch (and urban legends in general) was fun, and the film was surprisingly well made.

Beast of Bray Road was a fun little werewolf documentary. Nothing particularly new, but a fun, short doc-style film. And I love crypto's and docs.

Webcast was thoroughly meh. English kids… cult nonsense… blahblahblah.

Gifts From Strangers had an interesting core concept but was clearly made by folks with little to no experience. Probably could have made a decent short film, but there's not enough there to even justify its hour runtime.
Thanks for this. Good entry in the genre, and I never would have known about it without your post. :pint:
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sat May 18, 2019 5:08 pm

More (mostly) found footage-style from Prime:

In Memorium: micro budget decent-ness, good for those jones-ing for another Paranormal Activity movie. The plot’s a bit predictable, but the film is mostly watchable, despite some bad acting.

A Brush With Evil: Decent setup that doesn’t quite pay off, but had some nice moments of human realism without ever becoming outright parody. To an extant, it views like an average ghost hunting show.

Hide the Monster: Pretty basic “creepy kid” found footage flick, with a cult angle thrown in for good measure. Nothing especially egregious, but nothing new.

Frazier Park Recut: Fun little meta horror, but definitely predictable, with all of the hallmarks of microbudget filmmaking. Nothing new, but decent.

Hollows Grove: Surprisingly decent ghosthunter found footage. Very strong Grave Encounters vibes… if you’re into that.

How the Devil Got His Horns: Good doc on the evolution of depictions of Satan in western culture.

Hauntings Across America I and II: pretty standard cable-style haunted location rundown. Probably not worth your time if you’re already well versed in real-life haunted locales, however.