The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:59 am

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:Has anyone else seen tumbbad? I thought it was drymounting great .
Yeah! I saw it last year, I really liked it. It's on Amazon Prime too i think
Oh, good to know. Added to the watchlist.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 pm

Saw REVENGE last night. Nice try. A decent show but nothing more than ordinary. Really don't understand the hype around it?
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:33 am

I love it. I love the music, the visuals, the characters, and the main trajectory. Maybe it's lame or whatever to say but the filmmaker did a great job of turning a beautiful, attractive, sexualized woman into a gritty, tough, murderous survivor at any cost. Some people say "it's been done before" and others love it, I fall on the latter. Things that some people find to be cliche (the apple) I found to be perfect. Seems to just strike different chords in people.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:08 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:I love it. I love the music, the visuals, the characters, and the main trajectory. Maybe it's lame or whatever to say but the filmmaker did a great job of turning a beautiful, attractive, sexualized woman into a gritty, tough, murderous survivor at any cost. Some people say "it's been done before" and others love it, I fall on the latter. Things that some people find to be cliche (the apple) I found to be perfect. Seems to just strike different chords in people.
It has been done before but this was really well done. The music/the acting/the violence. It was all top notch. The movie is brutal especially that climax. It isn't zomfg amazing but it is pretty good. Only thing that bugged me was the whole can in the cave fudge. Made my eyes roll. Solid entry into the sub genre doe. Re watched Jane Doe last night. The first hour is so so so good. It slips up bad in the last 25 but not enough to ruin the movie.
\

Also watched The Ranger, Calibre, Anna and the Apocalypse, and the Haunting of Hill House recently. Really didn't care for The Ranger at all. Takes way too long to get to the good fudge and the characters are insufferable. Calibre had a real Calvaire vibe to it and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. That is 2 really solid genre efforts by netflix in 2018. The other being The Ritual. Anna and the Apocalypse was a drymounting delight. I was on the fence about it but once it got started, I couldn't stop smiling. It definitely won't be everyones bag but I highly recommend it. Haunting was like 2-3 episodes too long and I think it kind of landed with a thud but still enjoyed most of it.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:59 am

Yesterday I watched SUMMER OF '84. I was pretty disappointed in this. I love nostalgia (especially from the '80s) but this tried too hard for it and I felt it tried too hard to be in the realm of STRANGER THINGS to a certain extent. Furthermore:

SPOILERS

I don't like movies that tell you who the killer is from the beginning. The entire movie you're trying to figure out if they really did it or not and by the time you get to the end and find out they actually did do it, I always feel it's a let down. It reminded me of REAR WINDOW in this way which I'm not a huge fan of. I like Hitchcock and I understand the point of the movie is for the main characters to prove the killer actually did do it, but for my money, I'm not in to these type of films.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:30 pm

A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT

A retro/homage in some ways and looks beautiful onscreen bathed in nothing but black and white. A slow burn, not overly gory or with a lot of action sequences, but a beautiful film regardless. Another great recommendation guys. Thanks!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:15 pm

Rewatched THE WITCH and SUSPIRIA (2018) this weekend. THE WITCH is such a beautiful and simple movie. SUSPIRIA I actually enjoyed more after a second viewing, although I still prefer the original. I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the trilogy be made although I haven't heard anything to that effect yet and I wouldn't hold my breath. It got good reviews but appears it brought in less than $7 million globally.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Finally caught up on some stuff this week:

Unfriended: Dark Web had a couple interesting moments, but was incredibly predictable from the start. I appreciated that they nixed the generic supernatural element from the original, but I found myself almost instantly rooting for the villain, as the major characters were all pretty obnoxiously moronic. Also, this is a prime example of a movie that is monumentally different if even a single character was armed.

The Suspiria remake was … interesting. I enjoy the original, but I've never quite understood the slavish love, save for the fact that the original is original and beautifully shot. I liked the remake, but I also want to watch it again to concentrate on different elements as I'm viewing it.

Horror Noire is a must-watch, even if you don't typically gravitate toward docs. I signed up for a Shudder trial to watch this, and I can't wait until this is released on blu.

The Netflix doc Abducted in Plain Sight isn't straight horror, but it's absolutely bonkers and a great watch. It starts a little slow, but each revelation is more insane than the last.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:54 pm

The remake of SUSPIRIA I enjoyed more a second time around. I was sorely disappointed with it initially as I was looking forward to it but even after a second viewing, I still much prefer the original. UNFRIENDED: DARK WEB was a mess. The original was passable (for a B type horror movie) but I didn't think it needed a sequel and I think DARK WEB proved that.
kyler4444
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:13 pm

I don't know if it was mentioned here but I really enjoyed AMC's The Terror last year. It was a great slow burn of a mini-series and was an original concept that was executed well.

I just heard they're coming out with another season.
ISO: Stout - The Thing Image
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Assassination Nation was a bit on-the-nose at times, and not quite what I expected, but a good watch. Recommended if you don't mind heavy handed message with your witch-hunt allegories.
Watched Urban Legend for the first time since it was originally released, and it was a ton of fun. I also forgot how late-90s the soundtrack is.
Finally caught Horror Noire and, like everyone else, highly recommend it. Very fun, funny, and insightful. The doc also does a nice job of balancing entertaining and providing a more academic analysis.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:50 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Assassination Nation was a bit on-the-nose at times, and not quite what I expected, but a good watch. Recommended if you don't mind heavy handed message with your witch-hunt allegories.
I saw it in theaters and enjoyed it. Need to give it a second viewing.
dicandop
Art Enthusiast

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:01 pm

The Babadook is good indie horror. Ending was strange though but the atmosphere and acting performances were great.
Per aspera, ad astra, ad infinitum.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Finally got around to watching Overlord. It was… OK. The shifts in tone from various plots seemed a bit jarring at times, and the overall story was neither as character-driven or as overtly bonkers as I would have preferred. Instead, it never felt like it fully delivered on any front. Ultimately, I'd rather watch Outpost, or Devil's Rock, or Dead Snow of Shockwaves if I want Nazi horror.

Also, Mandy was as wonderfully bonkers as I had hoped. It helped to watch this one with good friends and copious amounts of adult beverages.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Seeking recommendations:
Taking Friday off and thinking of doing a Found Footage Friday marathon of four or five movies.
Thinking of doing Lake Mungo, Hell House LLC, Behind the Mask, and The Bay or REC, but would love suggestions. Debating including a Paranormal Activity film or something old school like Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, or Blair Witch.

You're watching a few found footage films (using a loose definition). What do you watch?