The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Can anybody recommend a good giallo film? I've seen only a handful but am interested in viewing more of the genre. I've seen some of the big ones: DEEP RED, TORSO, TENEBRAE, OPERA, THE CAT O' NINE NAILS. And some not so big ones: STRIP NUDE FOR YOUR KILLER, THE NEW YORK RIPPER. I've got YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY on my queue for Amazon Prime but was wondering if anyone else enjoys this genre and could recommend something? Thanks!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Got some recommendations on some giallo films and watched EVIL EYE last night. An early one (1963), shot in black and white and featuring a very young John Saxon (to my surprise) and a very lovely Leticia Roman. This was my first introduction to Mario Bava's work and the film was taken seriously (unlike some of the other sleazy giallo's that I've seen - which I don't mind by the way). Just stating this wasn't in that same category. For me, giallo's hinge on the end of who the killer is and what his/her motive is and in this, I didn't buy in to it too much. A nicely shot film with a decent storyline.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:42 pm

if you like giallo or giallo inspired film, you might like Knife+Heart but i'm not sure when it comes out. definitely heavily inspired by giallo, and I've heard from some big giallo fans who loved it, but also regular people who didn't care for it.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:21 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:if you like giallo or giallo inspired film, you might like Knife+Heart but i'm not sure when it comes out. definitely heavily inspired by giallo, and I've heard from some big giallo fans who loved it, but also regular people who didn't care for it.
Awesome, thanks Cinlabyrinth. I haven't heard of this before. It's a 2019 release?
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:02 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:if you like giallo or giallo inspired film, you might like Knife+Heart but i'm not sure when it comes out. definitely heavily inspired by giallo, and I've heard from some big giallo fans who loved it, but also regular people who didn't care for it.
Awesome, thanks Cinlabyrinth. I haven't heard of this before. It's a 2019 release?
I wish i had more info on that, it was playing at some festivals, that's where i saw it. Looks like "Altered Innocence" acquired the rights in the US with some expectation of a 2019 release.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:07 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:
I wish i had more info on that, it was playing at some festivals, that's where i saw it. Looks like "Altered Innocence" acquired the rights in the US with some expectation of a 2019 release.
It has been available online for a few months now.

Finally caught Calibre and Anna and the Apocalypse. Calibre reminded a lot of Calvaire but it was pretty great. A nice slow burn. It is on Netflix. Anna and the Apocalypse was delightful. It is a blast to watch. The songs are good and the movie is entertaining throughout. Highly recommended. Not sure what platform you can find it on but it is out there. Going to catch Suspiria/May The Devil Take You and a few others over the next week to finish off the 2018 horror stuff I wanted to watch. Barring one of the last few movies blowing my hair back, Pyewacket is going to lead 2018 wire to wire. Cannot recommend that movie enough.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:47 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:
It has been available online for a few months now.

Thanks Cinlabyrinth. I'll have to keep my eyes out for it. RambosRemodeler, do you know where it's available online?

Some more giallo's I recently watched. I'd seen BLOOD AND BLACK LACE before and I understand it's hailed as one of the great giallo films and even though I did enjoy it more a second time around and I did like the reveal of who the killer is (which is somewhat rare in the horror genre) overall, I wasn't a huge fan of the film. I guess I'm into more of the trashy 1970's giallo's like TORSO and STRIP NUDE FOR YOUR KILLER. I also watched THE THIRD EYE and I was not a fan at all. It was nice seeing Frank Nero (the original Django) as I've never seen his movies before; however, at least in my mind, giallo's are mostly of the "who done it" variety. Whereas with this film there's no surprise at all about who the killer is as it's established to the audience very early on in the film.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:25 pm

THE FORBIDDEN PHOTOS OF A LADY ABOVE SUSPICION is one of the better giallo films I've seen recently. A woman (played by Dagmar Lassander) trying to get off of drugs and alcohol, is blackmailed by a mysterious man to sleep with him after he provides evidence of her husband killing a co-worker. Once together, this mysterious man photographs the encounter to further blackmail her into sleeping with him. However, every time she goes to the police with evidence, the evidence disappears. Is she really imagining all of this? If not, why won't anyone believe her? It's streaming on Amazon and was recently released by Arrow this Tuesday on Blu-ray.
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:37 am

Irishman12 wrote:Can anybody recommend a good giallo film? I've seen only a handful but am interested in viewing more of the genre. I've seen some of the big ones: DEEP RED, TORSO, TENEBRAE, OPERA, THE CAT O' NINE NAILS. And some not so big ones: STRIP NUDE FOR YOUR KILLER, THE NEW YORK RIPPER. I've got YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY on my queue for Amazon Prime but was wondering if anyone else enjoys this genre and could recommend something? Thanks!
YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY is my absolute favorite giallo. Edwige Fenech has that effect.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 am

brettlv5506 wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:Can anybody recommend a good giallo film? I've seen only a handful but am interested in viewing more of the genre. I've seen some of the big ones: DEEP RED, TORSO, TENEBRAE, OPERA, THE CAT O' NINE NAILS. And some not so big ones: STRIP NUDE FOR YOUR KILLER, THE NEW YORK RIPPER. I've got YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY on my queue for Amazon Prime but was wondering if anyone else enjoys this genre and could recommend something? Thanks!
YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY is my absolute favorite giallo. Edwige Fenech has that effect.

Yep. Recommended it a few pages back. It’s one of the best ever. So drymounting good. Also my favorite movie title ever
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 pm

brettlv5506 wrote:
Yeah she's been in quite a few of the ones I've seen recently (YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY, STRIP NUDE FOR YOUR KILLER, FIVE DOLLS FOR AN AUGUST MOON). Digging her work. Any others by her anyone can recommend?
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:20 pm

So I know I'm late to the party on this but last night I watched LET THE RIGHT ONE IN and wow, what a fantastic, beautiful, simple movie. Not overly gory or scary and it's quite a touching love story. Definitely wouldn't mind a second viewing sooner rather than later. Thanks to everyone who's been talking about and recommending this movie!
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:08 am

Has anyone else seen tumbbad? I thought it was drymounting great .
Jamesebillings

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:28 am

[quote="OtomoChaser"]'Martyrs' is absolutely incredible. As is the uncut 'Serbian Film'.

I've never managed to locate the Serbian Film anywhere.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:50 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:Has anyone else seen tumbbad? I thought it was drymounting great .
Yeah! I saw it last year, I really liked it. It's on Amazon Prime too i think