The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:35 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:Behind the Mask is criminally underrated IMO. Good list B.

Usually every year we do 31 in 31, every night its a struggle to decide what to watch so I decided to follow suit and make a list. Need a few more spots to fill in though. Looking for some ghost stuff I might not have seen. Mostly for the lady since this years line up is giallo/slasher heavy. I always start off the month with stuff I have never seen and use the last 5-6 days for all my personal favorites. This list is still in progress

1. Night School
2. The Slayer
3. The Red Queen Kills Seven Times
4. The Bird With The Crystal Plumage
5. The Stendhal Syndrome
6. Brain Damage
7. Blood Rage
8. Ghostwatch
9. RWD
10. Angst
11. Noroi : The Curse
12. The Transfiguration
13. Wishmaster
14. Magic
15. Sweet Sweet Lonely Girl
16. Zhong Gui (Seeding Of A Ghost)
17. Over Your Dead Body (Miike)
18. Francesca
19. Der Bunker
20. The Mutilator
21. Phantom Of The Paradise
22. Leatherface
23. Lets Scare Jessica To Death
24. The Psychic
25. Beyond The Darkness
26. The Loved Ones
27. Inside
28. Trick R Treat
29. The Shining
30. Halloween
31. The Exorcist
32. The Descent
33. Possession
34. Rosemarys Baby

Just realized Leatherface is direct by the duo who did Inside so that will probably be the first movie we watch in October. Actually I dunno if I can wait that long. Excited to see it and Geralds Game (Mike Flanagan rules)
Dont waste your time with Leatherface..saw it on monday..very disappointed considering the talent involved but ive beard very good things about geralds game..hoping to see it on Friday

And It was awesome caught a showing over the weekend. :clap:
Last edited by jlabbate on Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
fanboy
Art Expert

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:35 pm

I picked up the Saw set at Best Buy last week for a pre-Halloween binge-a-thon. I've only ever watched the first 2. I'm sure they get progressively worse, but I figured as a horror fan, I should give them a watch.
ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:47 pm

Caught up on some movies this week. "Dead Awake" definitely had some interesting ideas, and the acting wasn't stellar, but I'm a total sucker for horror involving dreams and sleep paralysis. It also definitely had a Nightmare on Elm St. vibe at certain points, but the idea was definitely a bit better than the execution.

"Dark Signal" was fun, if a bit disorganized. Some of the plot elements were a bit predictable and on-the-nose, but there are some excellent moments in it.

"The Bad Batch" is definitely not for everyone, but I thought it was a ton of fun.

""Funny Games" still totally holds up and gives me the creeps every damn time.

"It Comes at Night" had so much promise but ultimately left me much more annoyed than entertained, engaged, or intrigued. The themes are wholly heavy handed, and I would have literally killed for a more satisfying ending. And I say that as someone who loves indie horror, slow burns, and horror movies most folks find boring. I know that when I'm dissecting narrative and character inconsistencies 30 minutes in, I'm not engrossed in the film.

Also ordered the Final Destination box set, the Saw box set, and the blu ray for They Live, so hoping to binge on those this weekend. Might do a Final Destination marathon for Oct. 1st… despite what I had planned.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:29 am

Watched "Gerald's Game" last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great filmmaking, great tension, excellent acting for the most part, and tense as Hell. My only qualms were with the last 10 minutes, but that's a small price to pay for something that kept me absolutely engrossed and tense for the previous 85 minutes. It even made me wince… and not even stuff like "Martyrs" can accomplish that at this point.

Definitely looking forward to whatever Flanagan does next. Between this, Hush, and Occulus (which had its issues but was very sound from a technical standpoint), that dude will hopefully have even more opportunities to continue making his brand of horror.

If you have Netflix, I definitely recommend it.

Watching "Monster Squad" and "The Gate" tonight, as they're a couple childhood faves that the girlfriend has never seen.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:24 pm

More movies on the docket tonight, but I'm busying myself with horror docs today while grading and working on lesson plans.
Started at 8 am and watched "Never Sleep Again." Following it up with "Crystal Lake Memories," "I am Nancy,"Cropsey" and "Going to Pieces."
Officially kicking things off tonight with "Trick r Treat" and apple pie moonshine :pint:
frykitty
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Backcountry is a humble Canadian take on the horror genre.. It was actually pretty tight..
ImageImageImage
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:31 am

It's more a thriller than a horror flick–– despite taking place on Halloween–– but "Boys in the Trees" is definitely worth checking out on Netflix. It's not perfect, and it could benefit from editing and some tweaks to pacing, but it's a really strong first film from Nicholas Verso. Curious to see what others think about it.
Bonus points if you're a fan of early/mid-90s grunge… as the soundtrack is great.

It might be hard to fit in during Oct. when folks are watching so many other horror movies, but I recommend it.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Cult of Chucky was weird, wacky fun.
You're Next is still amazing and deserves a good print.
I enjoy American Mary a little more every time I watch it.

And with those three, my original list is completely off the rails. My lady is chronicling 31 in 31 this year, so she's reshaping the list as we go, with an emphasis on horror featuring strong female characters.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:26 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Watched "Gerald's Game" last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great filmmaking, great tension, excellent acting for the most part, and tense as Hell. My only qualms were with the last 10 minutes, but that's a small price to pay for something that kept me absolutely engrossed and tense for the previous 85 minutes. It even made me wince… and not even stuff like "Martyrs" can accomplish that at this point.

Definitely looking forward to whatever Flanagan does next. Between this, Hush, and Occulus (which had its issues but was very sound from a technical standpoint), that dude will hopefully have even more opportunities to continue making his brand of horror.

NO LOVE FOR OUIJA 2? Ha. It actually isn't terrible. Its just really vanilla.

One omission I cannot forgive is Absentia. Its my favorite flanagan. Its incredibly low budget and is rough around the edges but everything works for me. Highly recommend checking it out if you haven't seen it B.

fanboy wrote:I watched Patchwork on Netflix the other night. Pretty good little horror comedy with an interesting concept. And it's got a really cool animated opening sequence.

Enjoyed this quite a bit. We watched it today.

bmerwinsuwc wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:B Looking for some ghost stuff I might not have seen.
Perhaps R-Point, The Entity, Under the Shadow, Lady in White, Session 9, Grave Encounters (derivate but fun), Housebound (sorta-ghost story?)
Seen all of these except R Point. UTS is great. Haven't seen the entity in years. GE is a blast. Derivative like you said but I think its a lot of fun. HB is a blast too. I HATED Lady In White. Somehow I didn't see it when I was a kid so I watched it fairly recently and do not understand why anyone would like that movie. I like cheesy/ridiculous stuff but nothing drymounting worked in LIW for me.

Had some slight deviations from my list but so far :
1. Night School 2/5 - Wanted to love it but just couldn't get into it. At 90 minutes and it being an older slasher flick, I expected a bit more of a body count. I did like the ending although it was predictable.
2. Noroi 4.5/5 - This movie was drymounting incredible. Its one of the best FF flicks I have ever seen. The length and pacing will turn some people off but its worth the watch. Highly recommend it. (Shudder)
3. RWD 3/5 - This was interesting. Still not 100% sure how I feel about it. Guy just released another horror movie called tonight she comes not too long ago. (Shudder or Prime. I can't remember)
4. Absentia 4/5 (Re-watch) (Prime)
5. NIghtmare (1981)- Haven't finished this yet but its pretty good so far. (Prime)
6. Patchwork 4/5 - This was a drymounting blast. (Netflix)

I think we are going to do ghostwatch tonight.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
fanboy
Art Expert

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:39 am

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Cult of Chucky was weird, wacky fun.

And with those three, my original list is completely off the rails. My lady is chronicling 31 in 31 this year, so she's reshaping the list as we go, with an emphasis on horror featuring strong female characters.
I will be keeping up with your list. My lady loves a good strong female in horror. I've told her about American Mary before and she may be interested in that one. Although, she absolutely HATES when movies have rape scenes.
ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:34 pm

fanboy wrote:

I will be keeping up with your list. My lady loves a good strong female in horror. I've told her about American Mary before and she may be interested in that one. Although, she absolutely HATES when movies have rape scenes.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the rape/revenge genre in general, but I think "American Mary" gets a bit more of a pass because it was written and directed by the Soska sisters.
If you want to keep up with what she's/we're watching, you can read her posts here: https://feministhorrorfan.wordpress.com ... /31-in-31/
caseyg1986
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:05 am

I finally got around to watching Fright Night for first time. I loved it! Evil Ed might be my favorite 80's side character ever, and those practical effects were so fun. I really wish Tom Holland directed more during his horror heyday.
fanboy
Art Expert

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:18 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:
fanboy wrote:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the rape/revenge genre in general, but I think "American Mary" gets a bit more of a pass because it was written and directed by the Soska sisters.
If you want to keep up with what she's/we're watching, you can read her posts here: https://feministhorrorfan.wordpress.com ... /31-in-31/
That's awesome! Definitely will be following along. My lady has a facebook page called Feminist Horror Collective where she reviews movies we watch. So far, not too active but hopefully sooner than later she'll get more up there. Maybe this will be her spark.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Tarantino horror night:
Just watched Grindhouse: Death Proof and Planet Terror.
Finishing the evening with From Dusk Til Dawn.
Also, I wish Tarantino would make another horror film; I remember so many folks HATING Death Proof when it came out, but I now greatly prefer it to Planet Terror. Though nothing touches FTtD, for me. Perennially in my top 10 horror films of all time… or at least one of the 10 I've watched the most.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:24 pm

Raw is finally on Netflix. I'm assuming a ton of you haven't seen it. It's certainly not for everyone but it's worth watching. I personally think it's one of the 3 best horror films of the year.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.