The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
mliddell
Art Expert

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:10 am

Hooper is a legend.

I've been revisiting his movies recently.

Saw Eggshells for the first time. It's included with the arrow video Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 blu ray. Eggshells and his earlier stuff is region free so will play on any player. It's 70s experimental film but I thought had real good moments and you can see a lot of the style of the original texas chainsaw. He has another early short film on the same disc "The Heisters" thought it had a good look like a Roger Corman directed Poe film.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Texas ... 04/#Review
Also rewatched Salem's Lot. Still has some freaky visuals and a nice innocence to it.
Also checked out The Mangler that one was pretty out there plot wise but still enjoyable.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:53 am

Watched "Death Note" last night. I know nothing of the manga or existing anime versions, but didn't care for the film. There's some good gore, and it's a big step for Wingard, but everything felt incredibly rushed from a storytelling standpoint. Defoe is pretty great, but even his character was rushed and seemed underdeveloped, just like everything else in the film.

Re-watched "Deep Blue Sea" last night as a palate cleanser, and it's still hilarious and fun.

Psyched for a drive-in triple feature tonight of "It," "Annabelle Creation," and "The Shining." Should be a ton of fun.
mliddell
Art Expert

Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:40 am

Deep Blue Sea is awesome. Love animal attack/nature run amock movies. This is a good book about them.
Massacred by Mother Nature: Exploring the Natural Horror Film Paperback – October 8, 2012
by Lee Gambin

Going to see "It" soon. Re watched the original this week. Still holds up.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:19 pm

I just came back from seeing IT. I thought it was good. I liked how they divided the two movies with the younger generation starting off with Part 1 and the second movie them being adults. This was definitely much more brutal than the original TV miniseries. For me, the kids stole the show (especially Finn Wolfhard from STRANGER THINGS). The dialogue they gave these kids was very well written and spot in! I thought Tim Curry was more terrifying in the original than Bill Skarsgård in this version as Pennywise and at times I felt there wasn't enough Pennywise in the film. I am looking forward to Part II! Overall, I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
mliddell
Art Expert

Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:10 pm

I thought it was pretty decent. I liked the original better. The original (to me) had more of that Stephen King innocence (if that makes sense to anyone else) / charm.
I thought the girl in it was a younger Amy Adams (her look, voice, mannerisms etc)
mliddell
Art Expert

Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Just watched The Fly II from 1989 on the Australian blu ray box set. Pretty good making of doc (about 50mins). I didn't realize the director was one of the special FX guys who won an oscar for the original. Lot of good people involved in making this one. I thought it was fun time.
mllNY
Art Enthusiast

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Has anyone seen these Alex Ross Monster Collection Steelz...

http://steelbook.com/releases/alex-ross ... ollection/

He had them on display at his booth at SDCC but they were sealed and I know they went on sale this week
SPAC04
Art Expert

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Watched "Death Note" last night. I know nothing of the manga or existing anime versions, but didn't care for the film. There's some good gore, and it's a big step for Wingard, but everything felt incredibly rushed from a storytelling standpoint. Defoe is pretty great, but even his character was rushed and seemed underdeveloped, just like everything else in the film.

Re-watched "Deep Blue Sea" last night as a palate cleanser, and it's still hilarious and fun.

Psyched for a drive-in triple feature tonight of "It," "Annabelle Creation," and "The Shining." Should be a ton of fun.

Have not seen the film, but from what I hear it doesn't do the anime justice. Anime -> live action adaptation is just a bad idea in my opinion.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:38 am

The new Death Note film is terrible.
MrWorldWide
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:00 am

mllNY wrote:Has anyone seen these Alex Ross Monster Collection Steelz...

http://steelbook.com/releases/alex-ross ... ollection/

He had them on display at his booth at SDCC but they were sealed and I know they went on sale this week
Those are amazing. Beautiful work by Alex Ross as usual.
peacedog
Art Expert

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:06 am

Irishman12 wrote:I just came back from seeing IT. I thought it was good. I liked how they divided the two movies with the younger generation starting off with Part 1 and the second movie them being adults. This was definitely much more brutal than the original TV miniseries. For me, the kids stole the show (especially Finn Wolfhard from STRANGER THINGS). The dialogue they gave these kids was very well written and spot in! I thought Tim Curry was more terrifying in the original than Bill Skarsgård in this version as Pennywise and at times I felt there wasn't enough Pennywise in the film. I am looking forward to Part II! Overall, I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
mliddell wrote:I thought it was pretty decent. I liked the original better. The original (to me) had more of that Stephen King innocence (if that makes sense to anyone else) / charm.
I thought the girl in it was a younger Amy Adams (her look, voice, mannerisms etc)
Just got back from catching It, thought it was worlds better than the made for TV version. So many jump out of your seat moments, been a while since I actually verbalized a reaction in a theater. And I disagree, Bill Skarsgård's Pennywise was spot on, demented terror tinted with warped humor. His opening dialog with Georgie was a great entrance. His marionette mannerisms and movements were super creepy, those rolling eyes. And I felt like he was everywhere. Loved it. Very excited for part 2.

Question (spoiler):

Did they kill off Henry Bower? In the book he looked into Pennywise's deadlights and his hair turned white, later committed to an insane asylum. And definitely an antagonist in their adult lives to come.

Nice that they changed up the clown room scare from the set up in the trailer. I was definitely looking in the wrong place.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Thought "IT" was really good, but not quite great. Looking forward to seeing the cut that allegedly has an extra 15 minutes.

Just re-watched "Salem's Lot" for the first time since childhood. I know folks love that movie, but it's a bit long and plodding… and I say that as someone who's generally patient and loves a slow burn. /sacrilege
mliddell
Art Expert

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:03 pm

I actually watched Salem's Lot recently too. It is slow but that can be a good thing. Good score.

I saw Dick Maas' Amsterdamned and loved it. Film Comment did a write up about it this month for the blu ray release and they say it's one of the best boat chase scenes in cinema (not just horror) history. I agree. Also good serial killer / police procedural movie. Highly recommended.

Re watched Get out again. Another good score. Liked it better the second time around. T S mother fin A.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:29 pm

mliddell wrote:I actually watched Salem's Lot recently too. It is slow but that can be a good thing. Good score.

I saw Dick Maas' Amsterdamned and loved it. Film Comment did a write up about it this month for the blu ray release and they say it's one of the best boat chase scenes in cinema (not just horror) history. I agree. Also good serial killer / police procedural movie. Highly recommended.

Re watched Get out again. Another good score. Liked it better the second time around. T S mother fin A.
Agree on the Salem's Lot score. Probably my favorite thing in the flick.
Watching "Raw" tonight after getting up some more Halloween decorations around the house.
mliddell
Art Expert

Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Raw was good. Let me know what you think of the main characters dance scene in front of the mirror. One of the highlights.