The Criterion Collection

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
dskdaniel
Art Expert

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:51 pm

B&N sale is on for the month. Cancelled all my November pre-orders on Amazon, save Alone Wolf &a Cub which I already locked in for 39.99 when Amazon messed up on pricing. This is a good month too. Looking forward to Punch Drunk Love.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:30 pm

If I could recommend the Three Colors trilogy, absolutely brilliant.

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/844-three-colors
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:37 am

Looks like Beta users on Filmstruck get the service free for the rest of the year, just received an email.
iOS and Android devices (including Android Tablets), and Amazon Fire TV (the puck or stick) as of today. We will be available on 4th generation Apple TVs starting Dec. 1st. With the exception of Apple TV, our apps are available free in the app stores today.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:54 pm

You can use a free 14-day trial for http://www.filmstruck.com/ with the Criterion add-on to just binge or try before you buy... just PC, phone, tablet apps available right now.

http://collider.com/filmstruck-criterio ... ss-release
FilmStruck Subscription – $6.99/month – offering hundreds of constantly refreshed, hard-to-find and critically acclaimed films, plus exclusive bonus content including hosted introductions, originally produced pieces, interviews and rare footage

FilmStruck + The Criterion Channel Subscription - $10.99/month – offering everything in the FilmStruck subscription plus unlimited access to Criterion’s entire streaming library of films and special features, along with channel-exclusive original programming such as filmmaker profiles, master classes, and curated series by celebrated guests from the film world and beyond

Annual Subscription – $99/year for FilmStruck + The Criterion Channel (a $30 annual savings)
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:11 pm

Just picked up a very new looking Life of Brian Criterion dvd for $1 at the thrift store. Also, got a non-Criterion The Gods Must Be Crazy for 50 cents and a bunch of Shelly Duvall's Faerie Tale Theater VHS for a quarter each (anybody remember that show? Good stuff).
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:30 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Just picked up a very new looking Life of Brian Criterion dvd for $1 at the thrift store. Also, got a non-Criterion The Gods Must Be Crazy for 50 cents and a bunch of Shelly Duvall's Faerie Tale Theater VHS for a quarter each (anybody remember that show? Good stuff).
Dude I've been to so many thrift stores looking for stuff and they never have shiznit. I need to go to your neighborhood.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:52 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:Just picked up a very new looking Life of Brian Criterion dvd for $1 at the thrift store. Also, got a non-Criterion The Gods Must Be Crazy for 50 cents and a bunch of Shelly Duvall's Faerie Tale Theater VHS for a quarter each (anybody remember that show? Good stuff).
Dude I've been to so many thrift stores looking for stuff and they never have shiznit. I need to go to your neighborhood.
This is a good one. Movies/vinyl are half off for half of the month every month. Regular price is $2 for records/dvds and 50 cents for VHS. I pick up all kinds of stuff on the cheap.
v1101011
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:20 am

RottenAtom wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:
This is a good one. Movies/vinyl are half off for half of the month every month. Regular price is $2 for records/dvds and 50 cents for VHS. I pick up all kinds of stuff on the cheap.
Just bought a practically brand new copy of Seven Samurai on blu ray from a local thrift shop for $10. I read your conversation the other day and was hoping I'd find a deal on some Criterion dvd's or blu's. I guess it was my lucky day. :2thumb:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:51 am

^

Nice! Killer score. I bet you were looking like this when you found it :pint: :lol:

funkin
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:11 pm

dweebofthedead wrote:Also, act quick, Amazon has it listed for $39.99, and they're usually good about honoring errors.

https://www.amazon.com/Lone-Wolf-Criter ... B01KGR17U8
Sometimes I buy a movie, watch it once and then wish I had just rented it. I picked up Lone Wolf and Cub blindly because of your post alone. Thank you. Hooked from the very first scene and it only gets better from there.
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:26 pm

I love Ethan Hawke and Julie Deply!
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
dskdaniel
Art Expert

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:29 pm

Picked up Punch-Drunk Love and Kurosawa's Dreams at B&N. Luckily remembered to check store pickup first thing this morning.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:43 pm

That Punch Drunk Love is one of Criterion's all-time worst covers. Love the flick, but terrible cover.

Dreams is the fudge. When I was in highschool working 3rd shift at a video store, some super hippy dude introduced me to Kurosawa through Dreams. Same dude put me on Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus! Trilogy
greedy21
Art Expert

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:55 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Dreams is the fudge.
Agreed. My first Kurosawa film, imagery/colors/motions etc had me in awe.