The Criterion Collection

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:21 pm

fCon wrote:Yesterday I watched Walkabout for the first time. Well, that certainly was an ... interesting trip. Definitely a movie that had me thinking for a few hours. Freaky sound design too.
Worth it alone for the swimming scene.

oemor
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Had the Naked Lunch dvd, but I don't think I'd buy again on blu ray. Can't wait to add Repo Man to the collection though.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:40 pm

oemor wrote:Had the Naked Lunch dvd, but I don't think I'd buy again on blu ray. Can't wait to add Repo Man to the collection though.
Nice avatar.

PLUSH
Art Expert

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:54 pm

While I love movies, there are few movies that I would watch more than twice. This is why I do not see the need to buy DVDs. What is different about these? As with prints, I can, or at least intend to frame what I buy, these would just sit on a shelf, probably not taken down but once every few years to watch.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 pm

PLUSH wrote:While I love movies, there are few movies that I would watch more than twice. This is why I do not see the need to buy DVDs. What is different about these? As with prints, I can, or at least intend to frame what I buy, these would just sit on a shelf, probably not taken down but once every few years to watch.
Thanks for the input? :?
SerpentSociety
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 pm

I am very excited to see that On The Waterfront is coming out on Criterion Blu-Ray! I am a huge Criterion fan. I have many on DVD and Blu-Ray including one of my all time favorite films, The Third Man (Blu). As a side note, I have the Third Man Criterion OOP DVD (both original Criterion DVD Release and DVD Re-release) available if anyone is interested in trying to work something out.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:06 pm

omgkitty wrote:
PLUSH wrote:While I love movies, there are few movies that I would watch more than twice. This is why I do not see the need to buy DVDs. What is different about these? As with prints, I can, or at least intend to frame what I buy, these would just sit on a shelf, probably not taken down but once every few years to watch.
The input I have was asking a question. What is different about these? Beyond what I can read on the first post. If I buy one of these, am I going to be able to tell a difference over the same Blu-Ray version?
omgkitty
Art Expert

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:09 pm

PLUSH wrote:
omgkitty wrote:
The input I have was asking a question. What is different about these? Beyond what I can read on the first post. If I buy one of these, am I going to be able to tell a difference over the same Blu-Ray version?
Criterion tries to do what they can to put out the highest possible quality of releases. This means audio and visual clarity and a nice collection of supplements for all of their releases. They also tend to release a lot of films that wouldn't otherwise be released here in the US, so they offer a diverse selection. It also means there isn't usually another disc to compare them to. But if you aren't interested in buying films regardless, I don't think Criterion will change your mind.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:19 pm

PLUSH wrote:
omgkitty wrote:
Quality. Criterion is all about quality movies and top of the line presentation. Just look at the packaging- they showcase the movie without all kinds of extra junk on the package. They do a good job of including special features and great video/audio often having restorations far superior to other companies selling DVD/Blu. Many of their releases are director-approved. Criterion shines a light on more obscure cinema from all-around the world and they are often the only company making these movies available. They're the classy/top shelf alternative to the stuff you can buy at Wal-Mart or Target.

edit- woops, didnt' see your post Kitty...
finalfilppula
Art Expert

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:41 am

omgkitty wrote:Image
http://www.criterion.com/films/28051-repo-man

It's IJ's, apparently!
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:42 am

Indeed it is. Wait'll you guys see the rest of the packaging. Really fun stuff.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:14 am

So, what is on your top ten list guys?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:14 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :pint:

Congrats, Jay! Very cool!! Hope to see more from you in the future. Bring on 12 Monkeys!
finalfilppula
Art Expert

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:57 am

PLUSH wrote:So, what is on your top ten list guys?
Changed your tune about watching films twice?
appletree
Art Expert

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:24 am

Wow that is really cool. Awesome Jay.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.