The Thing 12 Struzan Release Discussion 06/22/12

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
golobulus
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:55 pm

PaintByNumbers wrote:
TNspreadhead wrote:
golobulus wrote:I really like the blues. If I can score the online drop, this will definitely be going on the wall. Looking forward to seeing pictures of this in the framing thread.
what online drop? :lol:

its available to anyone when the 7 pm showing starts
I would not count on an online drop
Yep, it'll be dropping Saturday night on ebay... guess that's where I will score it. :hanging:
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:57 pm

As you can buy one of each, if you are going and plan on only buying one, let me know.

First PM Tranito though
Last edited by finneganm on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's what she said
tranito
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks for the nod. Classy. :cheers:
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:25 pm

xangelx wrote:Hmm now having seen it I gotta say I'm a little disappointed. It's basically the same image from the original poster but in art print form. A bit underwhelming honestly, would really have loved to see another take on it from Drew as well as some text on there.
I agree 100%
I was really hoping they could get Drew to do another take on the film..would have absolutely loved to see what he would have done..looks like $250 will be going toward something else
And I'm a HUGE FAN of the film.
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:14 pm

jlabbate wrote:
xangelx wrote:Hmm now having seen it I gotta say I'm a little disappointed. It's basically the same image from the original poster but in art print form. A bit underwhelming honestly, would really have loved to see another take on it from Drew as well as some text on there.
I agree 100%
I was really hoping they could get Drew to do another take on the film..would have absolutely loved to see what he would have done..looks like $250 will be going toward something else
And I'm a HUGE FAN of the film.
Yeah, he did this painting in 1 day. imagine if he was given 7 days. 8)
maddog76
Flipper

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:26 pm

You seriously think this will flip? I don't think so but what do I know.
xangelx
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:32 pm

maddog76 wrote:You seriously think this will flip? I don't think so but what do I know.
I kinda think this one may be back around face value pretty soon. It will initially flip to the insane paper collectors that gotta have it now but in the long run I doubt it. It's a decent sized run,the current "Average" mondo poster fan probably doesn't consider a print for The Thing a must have, if they've even seen the film and if they have they probably don't consider a $250 print a must have.

I say this definitely makes it to an online drop and even then may not be that hard to get.
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
golobulus
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:33 pm

maddog76 wrote:You seriously think this will flip? I don't think so but what do I know.
I expect to find that the 2X estimates are in line... but I guess I'm shooting myself in the face by adding to the hype as I'm going to be investing in the services of a flipper.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 pm

This will definitely flip, people go apeshit for The Thing and it's a Struzan. The variant especially with a run of only 150.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:46 pm

xangelx wrote:
I kinda think this one may be back around face value pretty soon. It will initially flip to the insane paper collectors that gotta have it now but in the long run I doubt it. It's a decent sized run,the current "Average" mondo poster fan probably doesn't consider a print for The Thing a must have, if they've even seen the film and if they have they probably don't consider a $250 print a must have.

I say this definitely makes it to an online drop and even then may not be that hard to get.
Tyler Stout's Thing print seems to suggest that Mondo fans are quite enthusiastic about "The Thing" - especially when it's got GID. Personally, I expect this to go fast.

Also, I think someone suggested earlier that Mondo had already held aside a certain number of copies for the online drop. At least with the GID variant, I can confirm with pretty high confidence that this is NOT the case. If they sell out at the theater, they are gone.
T.H.C.
xangelx
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:55 pm

SurfingJeff wrote:
xangelx wrote:

Tyler Stout's Thing print seems to suggest that Mondo fans are quite enthusiastic about "The Thing" - especially when it's got GID. Personally, I expect this to go fast.

Also, I think someone suggested earlier that Mondo had already held aside a certain number of copies for the online drop. At least with the GID variant, I can confirm with pretty high confidence that this is NOT the case. If they sell out at the theater, they are gone.
Thats probably fair to say but keep in mind that Stouts had a much smaller run and I would also say that among the mondo fanatics it may not be so much that they want it for being a Thing poster but for it being a Stout poster. Also in my opinion Stout's Thing is much better than Struzan's. I would bet that Struzan's Thing never sells for what a Stout Thing does.
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
jal9000
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:21 pm

xangelx wrote:
SurfingJeff wrote:
xangelx wrote:

Thats probably fair to say but keep in mind that Stouts had a much smaller run and I would also say that among the mondo fanatics it may not be so much that they want it for being a Thing poster but for it being a Stout poster. Also in my opinion Stout's Thing is much better than Struzan's. I would bet that Struzan's Thing never sells for what a Stout Thing does.
I couldn't care less what it flips for because I won't be selling mine, I've told Jeff before that I would consider trading my Stout Akira for the Struzan Dark Tower but that's because it's Struzan and the subject matter (Stephen King's Dark Tower series is by far my favorite piece of fiction of all time) but I doubt I would trade this even for a Struzan DT. The image is instantly recognizable and not just by horror fans or poster fans, the image is a classic and I'm sure when these get in to the hands of fans and they can be appreciated in person the reaction is going to be :drool: :drool: :drool:

I could be wrong and maybe the hook up thread will be flooded in couple of weeks but again it doesn't matter to me because this kid is keeping it!
Last edited by jal9000 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Maybe it's an art print because Struzan couldn't get Ken Taylor to do the text to make it a movie poster :?
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
matowest
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:03 am

finneganm wrote:As you can buy one of each, if you are going and plan on only buying one, let me know.
Same here. If anyone is only buying the reg or the variant and is willing to grab the other for me (I'd love to have either), I'd compensate you for the price and your effort. A long shot, I know, but PM me if you're interested.
macc5
EB Team

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 am

matowest wrote:
finneganm wrote:As you can buy one of each, if you are going and plan on only buying one, let me know.
Same here. If anyone is only buying the reg or the variant and is willing to grab the other for me (I'd love to have either), I'd compensate you for the price and your effort. A long shot, I know, but PM me if you're interested.

Im inline for this same request if any folks need to get some $$ toward theirs.. PM me if at all possible.. :D