The Thing 12 Struzan Release Discussion 06/22/12

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
cargoflipper
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:29 am

Been sick ever since the announcement. Why can't I live in Austin??? Anyone buying 2 that only wants one.. hit me up. I'm in LA and will most definitely return the favor
hellosir wrote:People truly bitch about everything these days
dsanacore
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:59 am

Is everyone who is getting a PB/planning on purchasing it on Ebay immediately upon release going for a variant? I would think it makes sense to hold off on any purchase (unless you have a PB) until one knows what the GID looks like.

Impulse buy on a reg Friday night on ebay is gonna suck when you see the GID in action and you realize you "need that edition instead." Thoughts?
Image Image
PaintByNumbers
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:22 pm

Will keep fingers crossed in hopes of an online drop before dropping the $$$. However I am not as crazy about the print as others, would have liked to have seen something new. Still a print I'd like to own, but am not going to drop a lot on either edition. I do think (& hope) they'll show GID pics beforehand though so people can decide.
If you would like to help those affected by the tragedy in Boston, please donate here : http://onefundboston.org/

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. '
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:44 pm

dsanacore wrote:Is everyone who is getting a PB/planning on purchasing it on Ebay immediately upon release going for a variant? I would think it makes sense to hold off on any purchase (unless you have a PB) until one knows what the GID looks like.

Impulse buy on a reg Friday night on ebay is gonna suck when you see the GID in action and you realize you "need that edition instead." Thoughts?
It's an easy decision personally since I don't like GID prints and there are no other variations between the two besides the fact that one glows in the dark - so certainly not worth $100 extra in face and god knows what in secondary market. I have a price range in mind that I plan to rage buy off of Ebay. If they're out of that range immediately then oh well, on to the next drop. I know this helps nobody that likes GID prints but just my $.02.
Rebafeind
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:50 am

xangelx wrote:
maddog76 wrote:You seriously think this will flip? I don't think so but what do I know.
I kinda think this one may be back around face value pretty soon. It will initially flip to the insane paper collectors that gotta have it now but in the long run I doubt it. It's a decent sized run,the current "Average" mondo poster fan probably doesn't consider a print for The Thing a must have, if they've even seen the film and if they have they probably don't consider a $250 print a must have.

I say this definitely makes it to an online drop and even then may not be that hard to get.

will be nice to come back to this post a year from now...
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:58 am

Rebafeind wrote:
xangelx wrote:
maddog76 wrote:You seriously think this will flip? I don't think so but what do I know.
I kinda think this one may be back around face value pretty soon. It will initially flip to the insane paper collectors that gotta have it now but in the long run I doubt it. It's a decent sized run,the current "Average" mondo poster fan probably doesn't consider a print for The Thing a must have, if they've even seen the film and if they have they probably don't consider a $250 print a must have.

I say this definitely makes it to an online drop and even then may not be that hard to get.

I know, right? The Thing & Struzan. Plus, Mondo is hot fudge right now. And this is up there with the best they've ever released, at least in terms of excitement/hype. I doubt you'll ever be able to get them for these prices ever again. Just my opinion though.
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
:ziggi:
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:59 am

Rebafeind wrote:
And then again in four years.
That's what she said
CrustaR
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:05 am

finneganm wrote:
Rebafeind wrote:
And then again in four years.
What happens in 4 years???
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
gonzo303
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:06 am

Same fudge, different drop.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:50 am

gonzo303 wrote:Image
Not sure if serious, but the thing that would likely set this apart is that it's signed art by Drew Struzan. At the very least, he will always have a name among movie poster collectors.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 am

I feel like we should hype this more
That's what she said
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:35 am

finneganm wrote:I feel like we should hype this more
This thing's hype had hype.

I am shocked Stout is the most viewed today - by a decent margin, too.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:36 am

flip it, flip it good!! but, i want one.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
AliceAdrenochrome
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:23 pm

IF there will be an online drop, what's the URL plz. Is it known already? I couldn't find any info online, just about the sale in Alamo Ritz.
Last edited by AliceAdrenochrome on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:25 pm

mondotees.com
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.