Rebels Flag 10 Saber Release Discussion 12/07/10

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
optimusGRRR
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:24 pm

Am I missing something here? Where in this thread does it say that the HPMs all went to the preorders? And where was Spag's allegedly gloating?
Tadrules
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:26 pm

hi. this wasn't a commision, private sale, etc. it was an announced drop.

exp collectors? bahahahhahahahahah. yep. you have a LOT to learn. LOTS.

see ya later.
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.
kantianallstar
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:27 pm

I don't think the pre-order issue is as big of a deal as a few people are making it out to be on the boards. Pre-orders take many forms and are pretty common fare even in the art world of EB.

Take Josh Keyes, for example. His team reaches out to select collectors and offers them first dibs on originals and prints frequently. The DSG is quite frank in that they do not go in order of a mailing list but rather with whom they deem to be good collectors of Josh's work or who has patronized their gallery in the past.

Many of MBW's previous releases had a number of prints held back as well. He also has done a pre-order before. Heck, look at McCarthy's subscription system. Are you upset that only 200 prints are released and the others are sold via pre-order? The issue then is public knowledge of a presale versus non-public knowledge of a presale, which is ultimately up to the artist.

I recognize these are not exact analogies, but the point is that an artists work belongs to the artist and they can distribute it any way they choose. After reading about the pre-orders, I sent them an e-mail and was lucky enough to be offered one of the prints. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I don't think the comments on a message board should turn you off to a print you'd otherwise like and would purchase.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:27 pm

This guy really likes flags.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ottomatik71
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:28 pm

spagucci1 wrote:
ottomatik71 wrote:I'll save my funds incase I get lucky with the Banksy.
Some of your attitude has turned me off completely. You are no more deserving of this print than anyone.
The preorder comments should have been kept quiet and under wraps.
Saber should have made that clear to you guys.
You guys with your elite attitude of getting the preorder has left a bad taste in my mouth.

For the rest, good luck at the bun fight.
Whatevs. Grow up son. There is not any elitist attitude here. Artists do this all the time. They hook up collectors that they know who will keep them in tier collection, not flip them like you did with your Brainwah Ali. Welcome to the art world!
Don't talk to me about flipping....
I kept my Ali for over a year. That's not flipping. I also made 1.3k profit.
I have no regrets for that. fudge, who would? Are you just jelly you can't make 1.6k for selling a MBW? That sale gave me funds to purchase 2 Miss Bugs from NIA!
But I do have some MBW to sell whoever is still entranced by his blinding light.
spagucci1
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:31 pm

ottomatik71 wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:
ottomatik71 wrote:I'll save my funds incase I get lucky with the Banksy.
Some of your attitude has turned me off completely. You are no more deserving of this print than anyone.
The preorder comments should have been kept quiet and under wraps.
Saber should have made that clear to you guys.
You guys with your elite attitude of getting the preorder has left a bad taste in my mouth.

For the rest, good luck at the bun fight.
Whatevs. Grow up son. There is not any elitist attitude here. Artists do this all the time. They hook up collectors that they know who will keep them in tier collection, not flip them like you did with your Brainwah Ali. Welcome to the art world!
Don't talk to me about flipping....
I kept my Ali for over a year. That's not flipping. I also made 1.3k profit.
I have no regrets for that. fudge, who would? Are you just jelly you can't make 1.6k for selling a MBW? That sale gave me funds to purchase 2 Miss Bugs from NIA!
But I do have some MBW to sell whoever is still entranced by his blinding light.
Ha ha! Looks like someone has a case of the mondays!
s_k_y
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:33 pm

Codeblue wrote:This guy really likes flags.
:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DYje57V_BY
Mention
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:34 pm

kantianallstar wrote: After reading about the pre-orders, I sent them an e-mail and was lucky enough to be offered one of the prints.
This is what we have a problem with, it was not the pre-sales to a select group as many claim, but to whomever asked. What's the point of a public drop if anyone can email early and pick up a print?
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein
kantianallstar
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:43 pm

Mention wrote:
kantianallstar wrote: After reading about the pre-orders, I sent them an e-mail and was lucky enough to be offered one of the prints.
This is what we have a problem with, it was not the pre-sales to a select group as many claim, but to whomever asked. What's the point of a public drop if anyone can email early and pick up a print?
My understanding is that a certain number of prints were set aside for the pre-order. The e-mails went out and they had to respond by Sunday night. For those collectors who did not respond or did not purchase all three, people like me were able to get in on it up to the point of the number set aside for the collectors.
spagucci1
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:46 pm

kantianallstar wrote:
Mention wrote:
My understanding is that a certain number of prints were set aside for the pre-order. The e-mails went out and they had to respond by Sunday night. For those collectors who did not respond or did not purchase all three, people like me were able to get in on it up to the point of the number set aside for the collectors.
Well there you have it... A certain number were set aside. Looks like some of you guys got your panties in a bunch over nothing.
dasmitty11
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:04 pm

do their 'VIP' collectors usually not own any of their work?
hirschy75
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:18 pm

dasmitty11 wrote:do their 'VIP' collectors usually not own any of their work?
I still don't see where anyone said they were a VIP

Of all the people I've heard of getting a preorder I'm guessing Mario, Mooresax, would be the only VIP here and he hasn't been insulting in an elitist or superior way nor has he been rubbing it in anyones face as some claim
reminder: ink on paper
optimusGRRR
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:21 pm

HEllO!

If you look at the actual listings for each version of these prints, there's like 2-3 people with them in their collection. I believe the "pre-order" thing was passed around word of mouth via people that know Saber, and made its way onto another street art/collecting forum where a few people found about it. There is no conspiracy, no VIP elitist, some people were just in the right place at the right time. I also don't know where the "ALL THE HPMS ARE GONE! PANIC!" thing came from, as that is not stated in this thread.

The member who threw up the "I got preorder!" post on page 1 probably wasn't expecting this backlash, but it should be noted that the crowd went after Spagucci for no apparent reason (unless there was some sort of beef via PM).

It should also be noted that a good amount of trash has been spoken about the Saber flag releases over the past year on EB, which could explain why the preorder thing never made its way over here. I'm not commenting on whether or not those comments should have been made, only that the people on Sabers team may have read those threads and found this forum less friendly then other forums.
starkiller
EB Team

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:28 pm

kantianallstar wrote:
Mention wrote:
what emails?
EB Team

pewter14 wrote:
Once people realize ...
1) You cannot have every poster.
2) You do not need every poster.
3) There is always another poster.
... this hobby will become a lot more enjoyable. It's quite cathartic once you accept these truths.
toyroom
Art Expert

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:30 pm

starkiller wrote:
kantianallstar wrote:
Mention wrote:
what emails?

I'm guessing e-mails to the VIPs