Welcome to Hill Valley California 10 Tan Release Discussion

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
sasquatch
Art Expert

Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:13 am

No, I think he just doesn't like people. Your points are good.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:01 am

thanks for pretending to know anything about me or what I think :hanging:

it is impossible to like everyone, so yes I do not like ALL people epically those who but in and share a negative opinion of me that is not based on any merit just an ignorant ability to type
mmmm Beer :pint:
Kdh12
Art Freak

Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:17 am

dylansdad wrote:I take it you don't like digital printing?
I do not mind digital printing at all. I am a photographer among other things and have been in the process of converting to digital and have a very nice inkjet printer that makes great images.....

what took place was I questioned your first post, which you clarified and I said okay.

your original post was not clear (to me anyway) that you were directly talking about the difference between lithos and giclees, it seemed as if you were comparing lithos to all other printing methods

the debate about the secondary market is stupid and not worth the time, I just wanted to point out that there is no established secondary market and this will not be selling for what people are now asking in a few months
dylansdad
Art Expert

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:58 am

Kdh12 wrote:I just wanted to point out that there is no established secondary market and this will not be selling for what people are now asking in a few months
I definitely agree with you there. Even with the apparently high demand, none have sold on eBay so far.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:35 am

dylansdad wrote: I think it has the potential to be more charming this way,
Yeah, I think so too.

Had I been more knowledgeable, and realized that this was a litho in lieu of a print...I would have bought it anyway. It's my first Tan and it's also the first litho I've owned. It makes it more valuable (to me) because of Tan's departure from his usual style of work/printing process. I'm very anxious to see this. I would imagine that this will rate on the high-end (quality) for a litho, yes? Is there such a thing?
willg
Art Expert

Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:48 am

IWish wrote:
Yeah, I think so too.

Had I been more knowledgeable, and realized that this was a litho in lieu of a print...I would have bought it anyway. It's my first Tan and it's also the first litho I've owned. It makes it more valuable (to me) because of Tan's departure from his usual style of work/printing process. I'm very anxious to see this. I would imagine that this will rate on the high-end (quality) for a litho, yes? Is there such a thing?
I assume it's the same textured paper and similar printing as his Fly to Tokyo which IMHO was very nice quality. I don't think this is a departure from his printing process, the majority of his prints are giclee or lithograph.

Kdh12
Art Freak

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:06 pm

I am sure that they are of the best quality.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:10 pm

willg wrote:I assume it's the same textured paper and similar printing as his Fly to Tokyo which IMHO was very nice quality. I don't think this is a departure from his printing process, the majority of his prints are giclee or lithograph.
Ah, I see. Something learned today = +1 (That's why I love coming here. Thanks for that.)

Erm...does anyone know what model car that's shown? It looks like this model I have (Bel Air-53):

I'm going to install a floating-shelf under this when I hang it and put my replica there. Too much?
Last edited by IWish on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sasquatch
Art Expert

Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:37 pm

Kdh12 wrote:thanks for pretending to know anything about me or what I think :hanging:

it is impossible to like everyone, so yes I do not like ALL people epically those who but in and share a negative opinion of me that is not based on any merit just an ignorant ability to type

I was joking around with you, brother. If you don't mind me saying, you take things a little too seriously around here at times. Peace
dylansdad
Art Expert

Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:08 pm

If I recall correctly, the Beastie Boys poster was a screen print. His poster for the sports show was a screen print, and the one for MOTU was a lithograph. He did a Warriors screen print for Alamo/Mondo. And of course we all know about his screen print for Lost. Then you have a ton of giclees from Acme Archives. So he tends to do giclees and screen prints, with a lithograph thrown in there now and then when he does stylistic departures like the retro BTTF piece or the Battle Cat scroll.
willg
Art Expert

Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:13 pm

dylansdad wrote:If I recall correctly, the Beastie Boys poster was a screen print. His poster for the sports show was a screen print, and the one for MOTU was a lithograph. He did a Warriors screen print for Alamo/Mondo. And of course we all know about his screen print for Lost. Then you have a ton of giclees from Acme Archives. So he tends to do giclees and screen prints, with a lithograph thrown in there now and then when he does stylistic departures like the retro BTTF piece or the Battle Cat scroll.
Was listed as a screen print on gallery1988 website incorrectly.

from Tans blog, "The final size is pretty big (18" x 30") and is printed litho style on some nice textured parchment".

Its clearly a litho. Nice in person but the colors don't pop like a screen print.
djinn
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:01 pm

willg wrote:
dylansdad wrote:If I recall correctly, the Beastie Boys poster was a screen print. His poster for the sports show was a screen print, and the one for MOTU was a lithograph. He did a Warriors screen print for Alamo/Mondo. And of course we all know about his screen print for Lost. Then you have a ton of giclees from Acme Archives. So he tends to do giclees and screen prints, with a lithograph thrown in there now and then when he does stylistic departures like the retro BTTF piece or the Battle Cat scroll.

from Tans blog, "The final size is pretty big (18" x 30") and is printed litho style on some nice textured parchment".

Its clearly a litho. Nice in person but the colors don't pop like a screen print.
willg, was Tan referring to the Beastie Boys poster in that quote?
dylansdad wrote:
Kdh12 wrote:I just wanted to point out that there is no established secondary market and this will not be selling for what people are now asking in a few months
I definitely agree with you there. Even with the apparently high demand, none have sold on eBay so far.
Most of the auction-style listings haven't closed yet, so secondary market is hard to say right now. The BINs won't go until at least a few of the auctions end so people can tell if a BIN is worth jumping on. One auction has closed now - $200 (+ship).
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:24 pm

IWish wrote:
Yeah, I think so too.

I would imagine that this will rate on the high-end (quality) for a litho, yes? Is there such a thing?
The esteemed Mr. Tan has said that he prefers the printing of the BttF print over that of the ACME prints, particularly but not only because of the heavy, textured paper. That may simply be marketing, but I believe him.
willg
Art Expert

Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:33 pm

djinn wrote:
willg wrote:

willg, was Tan referring to the Beastie Boys poster in that quote?
Yes, as was I. It was a response to Dylansdad saying the Beastie Boys was a screen print.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:58 pm

willg wrote:Was listed as a screen print on gallery1988 website incorrectly.

Thanks for clearing that up--I don't own that one, and haven't seen it in person.