My Dishonest Heart 08 Kawasaki Release Discussion 05/09/09

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
tranito
Art Expert

Mon May 11, 2009 6:53 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:
MJBuck wrote:
j_pawlish1476 wrote:I love her work, but to pay $100+ for a high quality ink-jet print is ridiculous, IMHO.
you do realize that there are costs associated with high quality in-jet prints right? paper, high quality archival inks, the machine, the artists time...
Not to mention that the resulting print is often drymounting outstanding, and as close to the original as you're going to get.
Exactly, which is why when I love the OG image, I sometimes feel lucky to grab a very limited high quality ink-jet print for $100+...
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
j_pawlish1476
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 11, 2009 6:56 pm

MJBuck wrote:
j_pawlish1476 wrote:I love her work, but to pay $100+ for a high quality ink-jet print is ridiculous, IMHO.
you do realize that there are costs associated with high quality in-jet prints right? paper, high quality archival inks, the machine, the artists time...

The costs are not really all that high. My girlfriend is a professional photographer and uses archival inks and materials, the printer she is currently using is one of the best out there. I just feel like there's something lost when an artist begins to digitally reproduce works, which IMO are better left as fine art pieces.
Last edited by j_pawlish1476 on Mon May 11, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJBuck
Art Expert

Mon May 11, 2009 6:59 pm

j_pawlish1476 wrote:
MJBuck wrote:

The costs are not really all that high. My girlfriend is a professional photographer and uses archival inks and materials, the printer she is currently using is one of the best out there. I just feel like there's something lost when an artists begins to digitally reproduce works, which IMO are better left as fine art pieces.
but it's important to the artist to get the image out to her fans in the best way possible. for A.K. that's a giclee.
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Mon May 11, 2009 7:02 pm

j_pawlish1476 wrote:
MJBuck wrote:

The costs are not really all that high. My girlfriend is a professional photographer and uses archival inks and materials, the printer she is currently using is one of the best out there. I just feel like there's something lost when an artists begins to digitally reproduce works, which IMO are better left as fine art pieces.
If they were left as fine art pieces I wouldn't be able to display them on my walls. It would be me losing out.
this aggression will not stand, man.
j_pawlish1476
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 11, 2009 7:10 pm

And I completely understand that this is a way for her to get her pieces out to the masses. However, I just wish she was able to do something which was a bit more artistic, such as putting her works out as serigraphs.
maxine
Art Expert

Mon May 11, 2009 8:30 pm

Like I mentioned in another thread... I wish every print I owned had the quality of Tara McPherson or Audrey's giclee prints.
soma
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 11, 2009 9:56 pm

actually, our main cost was the photography setup, which was specifically purchased to archive all of audrey's works. it was at least 5x the cost of the printing setup but we felt it necessary since the source image is the most important part of the process. if the image is crappy then the print will be crappy, no way around it. the materials that go into a print run aren't that expensive, it's just a huge amount of time and as we all know time = money.
Static Medium Print & Photo - reproducing your favorite art since 2006.
bighitters
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 13, 2009 8:19 am

:clap:
Bobby-B
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:06 am

It's crazy to think that this just sold for $440 on eBay and the last one available a month ago on eBay listed at $300 had no bids.

:? People are clueless!!!!!!!!!!!!

eBay 180514150253

eBay 110528952656

Six months ago, people would not take less than $500 for this pretty. I almost went for it. Glad I had some restraint and waited. I lucked out in the $300 range.

This print is lovely in person!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jamel-d
Art Freak

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Bobby-B wrote:It's crazy to think that this just sold for $440 on eBay and the last one available a month ago on eBay listed at $300 had no bids.

:? People are clueless!!!!!!!!!!!!

Six months ago, people would not take less than $500 for this pretty. I almost went for it. Glad I had some restraint and waited. I lucked out in the $300 range.

This print is lovely in person!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it was Saying Goodbye, I'd be all over it. However, I'm not too high on this one.