Official Mr. Brainwash Conspiracy Thread

General art-related discussion.
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:49 am

schmoff wrote:except thousands of people who have never heard his name before are now going to know who he is and be interested in him, its huge publicity for an already hot artist who already sells out in minutes, controversy is always welcomed in the art world
But what remains to be seen is, "is he hot because of what people tought he might be or because of who he actually is?" Ultimately, is the hype misplaced?
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:50 am

grub2323 wrote:I feel the complete opposite in regards to MBW "blowing up" from this... it was more of a LAUGH at him and how ppl perceive art these days. another Mr. B public stunt
I dont' necessarily think that it was a 'laugh' at him and more of an objective view on the whole situation, leaving it up to the movie goer to form their own opinion. MBW didn't 'pay his dues' like other artists, however became successful in an unorthodox manner:
Is Mr. Brainwash’s work derivative and contrived, and who’s to say if it is?

I look at it as a positive personally
Last edited by cadeallaw on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:51 am

AttorneyGreg wrote:I agree publicity is good, connection to Banksy good - I just couldn't get a feeling for whether it was positive, negative, or indifferent towards MBW from the brief description. I assumed it couldn't be too bad (even if it was negative) since MBW had it up on his site promoting it as well.
He already had a connection to Banksy-- people thought he was Banksy. Seems like anything disproving this is going in the opposite direction of good. But, again, only speculating.

EDIT://Hey 200 posts. cool.
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:16 am

From the Banksy Forum (I added the paragraph spacing):
Just got back from the premier. It was funny, Banksy came across as a badass, MBW came across poorly, but I didn't Banksy maliciously sought out to hurt him.

The footage was spectacular, the message...well...i guess the message was sort of "hype is bad", but it was a nice story about MBW's journey to where he is now. I don;t think it was all honest; I don't think Banksy was entirely truthful about his role in the MBW LA show or his intentions.

Banksy says he sent MBW back to america to do a small art show and that MBW "left all the footage with him when he left"....and I don't think thats how it went down (but i guess when you are the director you get to tell your own version of history). , I think all of the artists liked MBW and enjoyed his help and documentation of their work, but the film makes it clear the MBW wasn't really a filmmaker.

Sorry for the rambling. I liked the film a lot, going back to see it again on Wednesday.
dmtr
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:21 am

jazzgalaxy wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't know anything we didn't already know about MBW, right? Not to say that this doesn't mean anything, but things aren't fundamentally any different, correct?
I saw the premier tonight. The above post is correct. Absolutely no new info. Banksy didn't reveal that MBW is a hoax, or that he backed his LA show (which I still think he did), or that he IS MBW, he just tracked his journey from filmmaker (sorta) to the MBW that is selling big dollar pieces. I get the feeling Banksy and the other street artists in the fim liked MBW and enjoyed that he was there to document their work. He is eccentric and loyal and they liked him. I think the consensus of those interviewed in the film is that he blew up very quickly with very little to start with and they don't like that. I guess an artist is supposed to pay their dues and starve for a while (not make almost $1M at your first show). I liked the film a lot and am going back weds to see it again.
Last edited by dmtr on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:24 am

dmtr wrote:
jazzgalaxy wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't know anything we didn't already know about MBW, right? Not to say that this doesn't mean anything, but things aren't fundamentally any different, correct?
I saw the premier tonight. The above post is correct. Absolutely no new info. Banksy didn't reveal that MBW is a hoax, or that he backed his LA show (which I still think he did), or that he IS MBW, he just tracked his journy from filmmaker (sorta) to the MBW that is selling big dollar pieces. I get the feeling Banksy and the other street artists in the fim liked MBW and enjoyed that he was there to document their work. He is eccentric and loyal and they liked him. I think the consensus of those interviewed in the film is that he blew up very quickly with very little to start with and they don't like that. I guess an artist is supposed to pay their dues and starve for a while (not make almost $1M at your first show). I liked the film a lot and am going back weds to see it again.
Hah! I think I poached your comment from the Banksy forum! Thanks!
AttorneyGreg
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:27 am

dmtr wrote:
I saw the premier tonight. The above post is correct. Absolutely no new info. Banksy didn't reveal that MBW is a hoax, or that he backed his LA show (which I still think he did), or that he IS MBW, he just tracked his journy from filmmaker (sorta) to the MBW that is selling big dollar pieces. I get the feeling Banksy and the other street artists in the fim liked MBW and enjoyed that he was there to document their work. He is eccentric and loyal and they liked him. I think the consensus of those interviewed in the film is that he blew up very quickly with very little to start with and they don't like that. I guess an artist is supposed to pay their dues and starve for a while (not make almost $1M at your first show). I liked the film a lot and am going back weds to see it again.
Thanks for the insight. DId the post above yours quote you - eerily similar?
jojobadass
Art Freak

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:28 am

Haha......more wild hype!
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

and for everything else under the sun; including fine art, art prints, toys and other junk....be sure to check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosfineart.com
dmtr
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:38 am

AttorneyGreg wrote:
dmtr wrote:
Thanks for the insight. DId the post above yours quote you - eerily similar?
Yeah. the post he pulled from the Banksy forum was my post. Moral of the story, the film makes me want my first Banksy print.
SteveKai
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:38 am

I don't think this is going to be neither beneficial or detrimental for MBW collectors. If anything at all, MBW has gained some cred in my book for being Mr B's assistant.

BTW-what's up with the ridiculous prices people are asking for MBW's work on the bay? Most of the pieces up for auction are garbage....the newer stuff that isn't quality IMO. If someone recently paid $750 for the large London Icons print, his old and lower run stuff(33rd, LIB, Pollock etc) should be fetching upwards of 2k IMHO.
BILLYTHEKID
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:29 am

I feel that the online review was positive for both these artists. The film will only help broaden their appeal and attract new interests into their work. Excellent for the flippers and collectors who have sought after pieces. MBW has exceeded himself again. What better hype than a film made about you BY the most famous street artist of a generation??
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:23 am

BILLYTHEKID wrote:I feel that the online review was positive for both these artists. The film will only help broaden their appeal and attract new interests into their work. Excellent for the flippers and collectors who have sought after pieces. MBW has exceeded himself again. What better hype than a film made about you BY the most famous street artist of a generation??
FOODRAP
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:23 am

SteveKai wrote:I don't think this is going to be neither beneficial or detrimental for MBW collectors.
If anything at all, MBW has gained some cred in my book for being Mr B's assistant.
BTW-what's up with the ridiculous prices people are asking for MBW's work on the bay? Most of the pieces up for auction are garbage....the newer stuff that isn't quality IMO. If someone recently paid $750 for the large London Icons print, his old and lower run stuff(33rd, LIB, Pollock etc) should be fetching upwards of 2k IMHO.
didnt LIB just end somewhere around 2k a week or three ago? and whats up with this? eBay 330397720484 i think this has been up on ebay at least 5x's sold unsold wtf? and its always been around 3k? does this belong to a member?
icons-451x680.jpg
icons is an awesome print imho, a lil big tho(pause)(still in tube, cant find a fruckin sleeve the right size)it has all crazy sigs, names of artists, tags, symbols etc... and to top it off, its like he on the toilet reading the paper taking a shirt opposed to bein in a tub taking a bath..I dunno, something like that...lol
as far as the review, as much as a riddle to me as is this whole art thingy...lol
“Gift Shop” becomes less of a movie about Banksy, his work and his complicated relationship with Guetta and more a study of how we see and appraise art -- either through some subjective aesthetic test or economic valuation. Do artists need to earn their fame, or is fame simply imposed upon them through some random algorithm? Is Mr. Brainwash’s work (he did the cover of Madonna’s new CD) derivative and contrived, and who’s to say if it is?
<WTF for real?

more or less saying,
i didn't know what to write so let me confuse you too
were we all suppose to be under the same assumption that the movie was gonna be solely about Banksy and MBW? and who the fruck is this cornball (thats you> chris lee anyway? heres his reviews, http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/chris-lee/ wrote 3 stores about Kristen Stewart in 14 days...GTFOH with that BS. fruck does he know about the "quote-unquote" art world? is he on the forum? lol, and http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/john-horn/,
John Horn covers the film business for The Los Angeles Times, where he has been a staff writer since 2002.
so he is a film business writer nd the other dudes a kristen stewart fan and someone here said it was a great review? lol.... he aint say shirt we aint know and could of got more from the movie had he read this thread alone and its 160+ pages.....

my opinion if it matters... MBW is a fruckin genius! word up, i like the fruckin images he makes, for real, i was hoping one of ya was gonna be like, i'll trade you my nola for your mbw....( I FRUCKIN WISH..HAHAHAHA...that was a joke yall...unless someone does want to..ja ja ) and the reason i say it is because he saw a market, found a gap, squeezed into it, filled it up and acted like he was there the whole time..... amazing, so who but those in the "KNOW" can say or review anything.....

BY THE WAY, had to do it.. http://mrbrainwash.proboards.com/ like why not i mean, someone else was gonna....but i have no idea what to do with it...(be nice)
ottomatik71
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:33 am

I like MBW, I like Banksy. I think that maybe 85% of people that know who Banksy is, already know who MBW is. If you've done your homework and checked out the Banksy forum, his biggest fans over there wouldn't pay $10.00 for a MBW print.
I don't think that MBW is going to "Blow Up". I am going to see the movie. Let's face it, it's low budget, hand held. It's not going to be at your local Regal cinemas. It will pop up at the art house theaters, as most Sundance Films do.
With that said, I would like to be able to get 1k for my Dont Be Cruel print, but we all know that is not gonna happen.
All this hype that people on this forum are trying to make bank on, for my bank accounts' sake, I hope you guys willing it to happen actually does make it happen. However, I don't think it's enough.
pearlybaker
Flipper

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:41 am

I can't believe anyone is buying this on face value. He's a documentary filmmaker who becomes an overnight hyped street artist but decides to leave all of his archival film shot over the years with the most renowned, reclusive and sardonic street artist only to have that turn into a documentary about him becoming an artist?

Come on kids - you're all going to feel pretty stoopid when the real connections are revealed at some point in the future. The movie just seems like the next step to see how much further the hype can be pushed on MBW and how demand can be manufactured by the right amount of publicity. The fact that Shep and banksy have been involved from the beginning is enough to certify this as an experiment on the masses.

Let me be the first to admit the MBWs I now regret flipping:
Le Bistro
Legend (Love this print and I thought I'd be able to purchase cheaper in future = fail)
All right Hamilton!