Star Wars 15 Gabz Release Discussion 11/05/15

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
automator
Nobody

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:34 am

This topic is dedicated to release discussion for Star Wars 15 Gabz - 1st

HarpuaFSB
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:11 pm

Same fudge different release, regular it is then.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:15 pm

For the same price, you can find and own an original Return of the Jedi poster that this print takes from and own something original that is also film history.

Just a thought.
guerilladubber
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:10 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:For the same price, you can find and own an original Return of the Jedi poster that this print takes from and own something original that is also film history.

Just a thought.
Or you can get this dope ass screen printed poster.
Just sayin'.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:18 pm

guerilladubber wrote:
wonkabars7 wrote:For the same price, you can find and own an original Return of the Jedi poster that this print takes from and own something original that is also film history.

Just a thought.
Or you can get this dope ass screen printed poster.
Just sayin'.
'Ass' being the key word here.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Yeah, because you're being a total ass.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:55 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:Yeah, because you're being a total ass.
Enjoy your 'art' !
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:59 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:Yeah, because you're being a total ass.
Enjoy your 'art' !
You are working real hard to discredit this today Wonka across multiple threads, why so?

Certainly there are pieces I object to as well but if someone else likes them and in this case, its actually licensed by the very studio that made the films, then let others enjoy it.

I know you are an old school original poster fan (and have an impressive collection for sure!) but you don't have to defend the classic posters via insult to the new licensed pieces.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:08 pm

Not hard work at all, this is like shooting fish in a barrel, man...IMO.

I have no problem with folks enjoying it, I have a problem with artists stealing and recycling art for the latest 'Mondo' outfit with a license (who cares) to stitch something together and claim it as theirs and their artist. A good friend of mine today nailed it when he said this stuff is 'ethically dubious at best' and I couldn't say it better than that.

The push back from folks who bought this and are agitated that folks like me take issue with it is equally ridiculous...get thicker skin, maybe consider the examples/issues/pictures presented, etc...and/or don't care and enjoy your purchase. I'm an 'ass' for pointing out my issues with this thing? Lols.

My background in classic film poster collection only made it easier to spot this bootleg collage perhaps a tad faster than others, nothing more, although I do feel sorry for the artists who came before 'Gabz' and aren't making a cent off this ZOMG limited release.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:10 pm

Yeah, I mean I see where wonka is coming from for sure, but comparing a vintage ROTJ one-sheet to a 7 layer screen print for all three movies is just apples and oranges IMO. I mean you could put them all under the umbrella of Star Wars art, but very different animals.

And fwiw, I'm not a fan of this one and didn't buy one. Extremely vanilla to me. Almost all the characters have the same expression on their faces and the light saber thing is too distracting for me. Just too cut and pasty to me. Aside from the little jump my heart feels every time I see that iconic title block, I feel no emotion when I look at this art.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:14 pm

Fair enough, good post...totally get it.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:15 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:Not hard work at all, this is like shooting fish in a barrel, man...IMO.

I have no problem with folks enjoying it, I have a problem with artists stealing and recycling art for the latest 'Mondo' outfit with a license (who cares) to stitch something together and claim it as theirs and their artist. A good friend of mine today nailed it when he said this stuff is 'ethically dubious at best' and I couldn't say it better than that.

The push back from folks who bought this and are agitated that folks like me take issue with it is equally ridiculous...get thicker skin, maybe consider the examples/issues/pictures presented, etc...and/or don't care and enjoy your purchase. I'm an 'ass' for pointing out my issues with this thing? Lols.

My background in classic film poster collection only made it easier to spot this bootleg collage perhaps a tad faster than others, nothing more, although I do feel sorry for the artists who came before 'Gabz' and aren't making a cent off this ZOMG limited release.
But its not a bootleg. There was money spent to acquire licence so no one is being ripped off, royalties will trickle back to relevant parties.

Think of it as another way of the studio generating revenue for future SW film budgets and an art fan gets a new SW poster and in this case a screen print, not a giclee or litho, for a change.

How is this a negative to any party involved?

wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:23 pm

All Posters and random stores by college campuses sell boots for Joe College and his dorm room, but its a direct copy. I should have used a different term than bootleg.

You're assuming money is falling back to the artists, I am assuming it is not.

Again, licensing means nothing. The countless and pointless 'licensed' commissions that burn our eyes on a daily basis here prove that.

My main issue is simple: don't bill this as a Gabz poster. Advertise it as an homage collage of infamous SW work...focus on the celebration of nostalgia for all I care.

I am just tired of these artists and their 'art', taking credit where they shouldn't and not producing anything new in our hobby.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:28 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:Never said it was a boot. All Posters and random stores by college campuses sell boots for Joe College and his dorm room.

You're assuming money is falling back to the artists, I am assuming it is not.

Again, licensing means nothing. The countless and pointless 'licensed' commissions that burn our eyes on a daily basis here prove that.

My main issue is simple: don't bill this as a Gabz poster. Advertise it as an homage collage of infamous SW work...focus on the celebration of nostalgia for all I care.

I am just tired of these artists and their 'art', taking credit where they shouldn't and not producing anything new in our hobby.
These assumptions mean neither of us is correct. 8)

Consider Gabz an illustrator then, if 'artist' makes you uncomfortable or annoyed. He is appropriating existing branding, officially in this case, for a current market demand, namely screen prints. It's popular and selling well. Everybody wins.

jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:30 pm

rubberneck wrote: Consider Gabz an illustrator then, if 'artist' makes you uncomfortable or annoyed. He is appropriating existing branding, officially in this case, for a current market demand, namely screen prints. It's popular and selling well. Everybody wins.
Seriously, I think a LOT of this hobby needs to start drawing a distinction from the folks who are artists and the folks who are illustrators.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.