DISSOBEY 15 Fairey / Slick Release Discussion 02/13/15

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
automator
Nobody

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:40 pm

This topic is dedicated to release discussion for DISSOBEY 15 Fairey / Slick - 1st

bryndavies
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:40 pm

Well these secondary prices are stupid. Congrats to them.
ImageT.K.C.
Vandal
Art Enthusiast

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:45 pm

This will look great next to the Cope collab
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:46 pm

bryndavies wrote:Well these secondary prices are stupid. Congrats to them.
Not surprised. This is as close as these 2 dorks will ever get to a turf war. :P
spagucci1
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:12 pm

Vandal wrote:This will look great next to the Cope collab
It would look even better next to the DFace collab given they are the same size and the Cope collab is smaller.
Vandal
Art Enthusiast

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:22 pm

spagucci1 wrote:
It would look even better next to the DFace collab given they are the same size and the Cope collab is smaller.
:clap: good call.
jcbudny
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:26 pm

Still confused why Shep hasn't updated the back end of his web store to better handle the traffic he draws.
THC x 3
fribhey
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:29 pm

jcbudny wrote:Still confused why Shep hasn't updated the back end of his web store to better handle the traffic he draws.
they did and it ran pretty smoothly considering the amount of people trying to get the small number of prints available.
RealDiel
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:14 pm

fribhey wrote:
jcbudny wrote:Still confused why Shep hasn't updated the back end of his web store to better handle the traffic he draws.
they did and it ran pretty smoothly considering the amount of people trying to get the small number of prints available.
Right... If they did upgrade their back-end, they aren't doing it right. That was a fudge storm.
Last edited by RealDiel on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:16 pm

Did your pb score bryn? I totally struck out in that annoying final screen fail way. :hanging:
bryndavies
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:17 pm

misterwhisper wrote:
Did your pb score bryn? I totally struck out in that annoying final screen fail way. :hanging:
Nope. Had two going for it for me but both missed. Bright side that I get to see phil and friends tonight with stanley jordon. So life could be worse.
ImageT.K.C.
o4phish20o
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Question for those who are familiar with Slick's work over the years. Has this guy ever been sued or taken to court by Walt Disney? Are the Mickey Mouse gloves/hands his shtick normally? And how is that not a trademarked image by WD? I mean Christ, they took Deadmau5 or whatever to court over his giant logo that has "mouse ears" on it. Really Im just curious how he gets away with such a blatant copy. Thanks if anyone truly knows the answer
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:27 pm

o4phish20o wrote:Question for those who are familiar with Slick's work over the years. Has this guy ever been sued or taken to court by Walt Disney? Are the Mickey Mouse gloves/hands his shtick normally? And how is that not a trademarked image by WD? I mean Christ, they took Deadmau5 or whatever to court over his giant logo that has "mouse ears" on it. Really Im just curious how he gets away with such a blatant copy. Thanks if anyone truly knows the answer
Slick: Everyone calls it Mickey Hands, but they were never Mickey Hands. And even Disney knows, because we registered the trademark, now, and they didn't even try to object or nothing.

Q: So wait, where did that idea come from? The idea of doing gloved hands?

Slick: It comes from when I used to mime, back in the day, you know?

Q: You mimed?

Slick: Yeah. [laughs] My mom used to work in a mall, right? And I remember one year in particular, there was a mime that used to work at the mall. And to me, it was kind of like popping. So I would [create] little moves and I'd use 'em in my popping routines and fudge. And then I was a big fan of Shields and Yarnell. So that's where the gloved hands [came from], more so than the Mickey thing.

source: http://www.kcet.org/arts/artbound/count ... slick.html
Last edited by misterwhisper on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:29 pm

spagucci1 wrote:
That was my plan. Alas, not to be.
o4phish20o
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:39 pm

misterwhisper wrote:
o4phish20o wrote:Question for those who are familiar with Slick's work over the years. Has this guy ever been sued or taken to court by Walt Disney? Are the Mickey Mouse gloves/hands his shtick normally? And how is that not a trademarked image by WD? I mean Christ, they took Deadmau5 or whatever to court over his giant logo that has "mouse ears" on it. Really Im just curious how he gets away with such a blatant copy. Thanks if anyone truly knows the answer
Slick: Everyone calls it Mickey Hands, but they were never Mickey Hands. And even Disney knows, because we registered the trademark, now, and they didn't even try to object or nothing.

Q: So wait, where did that idea come from? The idea of doing gloved hands?

Slick: It comes from when I used to mime, back in the day, you know?

Q: You mimed?

Slick: Yeah. [laughs] My mom used to work in a mall, right? And I remember one year in particular, there was a mime that used to work at the mall. And to me, it was kind of like popping. So I would [create] little moves and I'd use 'em in my popping routines and fudge. And then I was a big fan of Shields and Yarnell. So that's where the gloved hands [came from], more so than the Mickey thing.

source: http://www.kcet.org/arts/artbound/count ... slick.html
Interesting.... Thanks for that info man.
I had never even heard of Slick until recently with the Obey stickers and shirts and now this print.
Personally, I only look at them as Mickey Mouse hands... especially with the two teardrop/oval shaped marks on the backhand.
Do you think this recent work with Shep could get Disney involved? More money that gets made off of something, the more people react.