Primus Dallas 14 Welker Release Discussion 11/19/14

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
matowest
Art Expert

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:50 pm

gonzo303 wrote:
whiskaz wrote:
matowest wrote:
whiskaz wrote:Carting on shopify does not lock the item but carting and heading to the first stage of checkout does.
On Mondo, yes. Not sure about the accuracy of this statement on Bottleneck, which is what some seem to be upset about.
Yea, a little baffled by that since both use Shopify... I'll have to look into it.
Pretty sure with all shopify once you get past the inventory page you're all good to go. Now that times limited but I was able to cart and ask a member here if he needed the foil and entered all there info in the time being.

+1 for pb
I believe some are saying that they got through the inventory page, to the billing/shipping page and pressed the good ol' confirm purchase button only to be told it was once again out of stock. Though, I'm not entirely certain some know what they're talking about, either.
woodrowgus
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:03 pm

I'm always amazed when guys will literally write a page worth of cross-posts talking about how unfair the system is, but they won't take the time to figure out auto-fill for payment info, something that is available to most browsers and a no-brainer if you want to check out in a timely fashion. Not to mention other tactics like reviewing the checkout process beforehand so you can anticipate the next steps, button placement, ect.
Whitey9457
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:21 pm

woodrowgus wrote:I'm always amazed when guys will literally write a page worth of cross-posts talking about how unfair the system is, but they won't take the time to figure out auto-fill for payment info, something that is available to most browsers and a no-brainer if you want to check out in a timely fashion. Not to mention other tactics like reviewing the checkout process beforehand so you can anticipate the next steps, button placement, ect.

I guess I do need to use auto-fill features in the future.... I just never liked the idea of my credit card numbers being stored like that.... nor do I think that you should NEED to be a computer wizard in order to buy a print. Autofill features, to me, sounds like bot-juniors. You shouldn't NEED to use a bot to get this stuff. In fact, bots should be actively fought against to make it fair.

To people who have played this game for a while, it probably sounds so simple and commonplace to use these tactics, but with the exception of concert tickets, i've never had to take measures like this (and concert tickets have numerous steps to try and weed out bots, etc.)
woodrowgus
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:26 pm

Whitey9457 wrote: I guess I do need to use auto-fill features in the future.... I just never liked the idea of my credit card numbers being stored like that.... nor do I think that you should NEED to be a computer wizard in order to buy a print. Autofill features, to me, sounds like bot-juniors. You shouldn't NEED to use a bot to get this stuff. In fact, bots should be actively fought against to make it fair.
I am as far as you can get from being a computer wizard, and auto-fill features are a convenience built into the likes of several browers. If you're that averse to automation in attempting to score a print, I don't really know what else to tell you, other than keep fighting the good fight.

Honest question: did you set up an account with Bottleneck before trying to purchase?
Whitey9457
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:38 pm

woodrowgus wrote:
Whitey9457 wrote: I guess I do need to use auto-fill features in the future.... I just never liked the idea of my credit card numbers being stored like that.... nor do I think that you should NEED to be a computer wizard in order to buy a print. Autofill features, to me, sounds like bot-juniors. You shouldn't NEED to use a bot to get this stuff. In fact, bots should be actively fought against to make it fair.
I am as far as you can get from being a computer wizard, and auto-fill features are a convenience built into the likes of several browers. If you're that averse to automation in attempting to score a print, I don't really know what else to tell you, other than keep fighting the good fight.

Honest question: did you set up an account with Bottleneck before trying to purchase?

yes i did. but i'd never actually bought anything. and from what i could tell, there was no where to store credit card info although I do believe i had my address on there (shipping address) but i still think it asked me to type it again as billing address.
Whitey9457
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:39 pm

auto fill feature might seem like a convenience unless someone steals your computer or somehow hacks into it... and then i think it'd be extremely inconvenient.

but this is also a slippery slope IMO. if you NEED to use autofill features to get the print, then it is only a matter of time before you need entire applications/bots devoted to getting a print. When there is no need to be rushed while typing in your CC info (like on mondo).
Last edited by Whitey9457 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:40 pm

God forbid they get your address!
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Whitey9457
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Kramerica wrote:God forbid they get your address!
lol i had no problem storing my address in there as i stated above... they still asked me to re-type it anyways i believe...
Whitey9457
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:48 pm

And just for full disclosure (and so you all don't think i'm a total computer idiot) - I did snag a line art print from today. It was well after the initial drop, but i still felt strongly enough about the system being flawed to advocate for a change. it's not just about me winning, but i would like an improved system (or at least to understand why it can't be improved)
dutchflowers
Art Expert

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:35 pm

Whitey9457 wrote:And just for full disclosure (and so you all don't think i'm a total computer idiot) - I did snag a line art print from today. It was well after the initial drop, but i still felt strongly enough about the system being flawed to advocate for a change. it's not just about me winning, but i would like an improved system (or at least to understand why it can't be improved)
Wait.. so you got a print but you're still complaining about the system?! You know lot's of people got shut out completely. Seems weird to hate on a system to which you scored from...

What it really comes down to is how much you really care about getting a print and the work you will put in to have the best chance. If you are just trying to score a print once in a while and don't want to use autofill type helps, then I'm afraid ebay really will be your best bet. Because the poster drop game across the board has gotten crazy with demand vs. supply in the past few years and no one artist or gallery has found the best solution for online drops that work for everyone. It's just the nature of the beast.

But if you want to succeed on more drops and such, you have to harness the help you can find.. because limited paper is just that and someone else will just scoop it from you if you don't.
Whitey9457
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Just because I scored, it doesn't mean I'm going to like the system no matter what... It was luck. I think it only helps the credibility of my argument that I scored and I still don't think the system works as efficiently/effectively as it could. Clearly not just sour grapes... I'm actually trying to help the people that didn't score but did everything right...

If it makes you feel any better though, i really wanted the foil and got the line art.

I mostly just feel bad about lowering myself to the standards of this game... but if that's what I gotta do...

dutchflowers wrote:
Whitey9457 wrote:And just for full disclosure (and so you all don't think i'm a total computer idiot) - I did snag a line art print from today. It was well after the initial drop, but i still felt strongly enough about the system being flawed to advocate for a change. it's not just about me winning, but i would like an improved system (or at least to understand why it can't be improved)
Wait.. so you got a print but you're still complaining about the system?! You know lot's of people got shut out completely. Seems weird to hate on a system to which you scored from...

What it really comes down to is how much you really care about getting a print and the work you will put in to have the best chance. If you are just trying to score a print once in a while and don't want to use autofill type helps, then I'm afraid ebay really will be your best bet. Because the poster drop game across the board has gotten crazy with demand vs. supply in the past few years and no one artist or gallery has found the best solution for online drops that work for everyone. It's just the nature of the beast.

But if you want to succeed on more drops and such, you have to harness the help you can find.. because limited paper is just that and someone else will just scoop it from you if you don't.
DickButt
Art Expert

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:47 pm

I've never seen more people whine about failing drops than I have this week. Holy drymount, people.
woodrowgus
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:54 pm

Whitey9457 wrote:
I mostly just feel bad about lowering myself to the standards of this game... but if that's what I gotta do...
Good God, man. If you think that you're really taking the moral high ground by not having your payment information stored & ready for online purchases, I'm speechless.
Last edited by woodrowgus on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haven
Art Expert

Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Whitey9457 wrote:Just because I scored, it doesn't mean I'm going to like the system no matter what... It was luck.
Just as it is for almost everyone else. There are ways to be prepared, but in the end, a great deal of it comes down to luck.
bombaguy
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:41 pm

nevadinova wrote:
MrSubjective wrote:
YellowBedwetter wrote:Foil was sold out before I even saw it at 1:01 EST. Had the line art in my cart and had to adjust my billing address, and by the time i did that it was gone again.

i hate this bottleneck bullshit. I don't understand how it can be "sold out" and then be available again. Directions say even if it's in your cart, it doesn't guarantee you a poster. So if they're sold out, then you shouldn't be able to cart one 11 min later even if prints are in other people's carts trying to check out. It's messed up. Either they're sold out or they're not. Releasing one from your cart should have nothing to do with the inventory if you're not guaranteed one when carted. Just sayin'
It's Shopify's carting system, not Bottleneck's fault. The same situation happened for the Mondo LotR drop. FotR were shown SOLD OUT right away once you click checkout. A few minutes later I was able to purchase the FotR.

I'm sure a few people bot it.
How does one get one of these "BOTS" I'm sick of not getting legit prints I really want no matter how fast I am at the release. I'm not rich either, so I refuse to pay the outrageous flipper prices on new prints. I will on long past ones though. .....Just depressed from missing out the past couple days...Sorry for whining