Ouroburos 14 Horkey / Ryan Release Discussion 06/30/14

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
MGW
Art Expert
Posts: 1034
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:00 am
Location: MSP

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Agreed smelly!

And the price for this one wasn't that far off from the other collabs they've done:

Versus - $300
Spring - $120
Nunavut - $160
- In the end it's the beast and the fowl that will reclaim the world.
User avatar
soupysound
EB Trainee
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:01 pm

ah, right. the classic "keep your opinions to yourself on an art message board". makes sense. :roll:

the print sold out. it was priced fine for plenty of people. just because i made a different decision doesn't mean i'm somehow insulting their work.
Image
User avatar
maden
Art Expert
Posts: 8257
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Del Boca Vista

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:03 pm

soam24 wrote:
electrachrome wrote:
guerilladubber wrote:Not a chance on the phone.
Not a chance on the computer either
For sure? eBay 321448324904
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

Image
User avatar
lsmith55
Art Expert
Posts: 5560
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:03 pm

smellmysocks73 wrote:Alright- I rarely speak up on this board, so this is out of character for me.

The price was $150. If you like it, buy it. If you don't like the price, keep it to yourself. I don't think any of us are the authority on the time and effort that Jay & Aaron put into this print. I'm darn sure not going to comment on whatever YOUR profession is and tell you that YOUR work is overpriced - and I don't see Aaron or Jay doing that, either. Have some courtesy, folks.
If you are going to sell artwork to the public, criticism of the subject, price, execution, etc. should be expected... especially on a drymounting message board dedicated to art. :lol:
Image Don't try it, you drymount.
User avatar
punch
Art Expert
Posts: 3982
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 pm

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:04 pm

Isn't complaining about the price totally irrelevant due to the fact that it sold out in seconds?

It's a useless complaint anyways. The fact that a small handful of copies were sold at that price point in the blink of an eye means the pricing was spot on perfect.
User avatar
PrintNoob87
Art Expert
Posts: 8862
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm
Location: Milwaukee

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:06 pm

The only ones oofing at the price are the ones that were hoping to make a buck off of it.
User avatar
PLUSH
Art Expert
Posts: 7199
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: TEXAS

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:06 pm

smellmysocks73 wrote: If you don't like the price, keep it to yourself.
Anymore than your comments should be freely shared?
User avatar
lsmith55
Art Expert
Posts: 5560
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:08 pm

punch wrote:Isn't complaining about the price totally irrelevant due to the fact that it sold out in seconds?

It's a useless complaint anyways. The fact that a small handful of copies were sold at that price point in the blink of an eye means the pricing was spot on perfect. Ya'll are just spinning your wheels talking about it.
So is the fact that Remy Adrift was sold on P&T for $165 a "perfect price" considering that it goes for far less now when it immediately sold out?

Your logic makes no sense, nor does anyone commenting on the price of artwork on an art message board mean its any less useless. Sure, it might be useless to you, so if that's the case, don't read it.

To be fair- I guess it's almost as useless as someone claiming they know a certain artist is doing a vinyl for a certain popular movie, only to find out that person with "insider info", was completely wrong.
Image Don't try it, you drymount.
User avatar
finneganm
Art Freak
Posts: 16201
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: NJ

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:15 pm

smellmysocks73 wrote:Alright- I rarely speak up on this board, so this is out of character for me.

The price was $150. If you like it, buy it. If you don't like the price, keep it to yourself. I don't think any of us are the authority on the time and effort that Jay & Aaron put into this print. I'm darn sure not going to comment on whatever YOUR profession is and tell you that YOUR work is overpriced - and I don't see Aaron or Jay doing that, either. Have some courtesy, folks.
In fairness, most of the negative comments say significantly more about the person posting than whatever juvenile point they are trying to make about the art or artists. Everyone can see that, including the artists. Saying, "Be more respectful" here is like saying it to a second grade birthday party: the grownups will hear you and probably will not have to change their behavior anyway, the second graders will continue to be second graders.
...
...
That's what she said
User avatar
lsmith55
Art Expert
Posts: 5560
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:19 pm

finneganm wrote: Image
Image Don't try it, you drymount.
User avatar
Kramerica
Art Freak
Posts: 13725
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:37 am
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:29 pm

Asimov is awesome. Next time, those of you who think the price is too high remember that I will gladly pay it and buy that drymounter anyway. Nothing worse than wanting to spend the money and not even being able to. I certainly am not going to pay the $300 the flippers on ebay want for it.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
User avatar
egrimens
Art Expert
Posts: 2339
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:00 am
Location: Orange County, CA

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:37 pm

smellmysocks73 wrote: Have some courtesy, folks.
I would like to think that my comment on the price was very courteous, I pointed out that there were pieces by both artists that I would rather put that money towards and the price felt a bit high to me. Honestly, to most professionals that is market research for free. There are many people and companies that spend tons of money to figure out at what price they can hit their largest target audience. Now obviously this is different as there is a limited quantity so no need to hit your entire fan base, but it is still valuable feedback for the future.

If you want to know my actual reaction to the price, I thought to myself, "hmmm maybe I should just buy a Jay Ryan sub instead, I wonder if they are still available."

I have been directly and indirectly told that I cost too much and things I have worked on cost too much, but it doesn't bother me (as it shouldn't bother Jay or Aaron) because I know if I did actually cost too much or my work was overpriced I wouldn't still be doing what I'm doing.

Relatively speaking in the art world both Jay and Aaron's work is pretty affordable. It is because it is generally affordable that you see comments on price when its higher than expected. It also didn't help that when the email went out about the print there was no price listed, so people didn't see the price till they had to make a split second decision. I think personally had I known the price I wouldn't have even tried for it, for the reasons I have mentioned, and it would have saved me 10-15 minutes of my time (I have wasted a lot more time on things that I ended up not getting for various reasons, so that actually isn't a huge deal to me personally, but it might be to some)
User avatar
guerilladubber
Art Expert
Posts: 3536
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:34 pm
Contact:

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:41 pm

maden wrote:
soam24 wrote:
electrachrome wrote:
guerilladubber wrote:Not a chance on the phone.
Not a chance on the computer either
For sure? eBay 321448324904
Way to quote 3 people on that.... :roll:
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
Bralumian
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:00 am
Contact:

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:43 pm

lsmith55 wrote:
punch wrote:Isn't complaining about the price totally irrelevant due to the fact that it sold out in seconds?

It's a useless complaint anyways. The fact that a small handful of copies were sold at that price point in the blink of an eye means the pricing was spot on perfect. Ya'll are just spinning your wheels talking about it.
So is the fact that Remy Adrift was sold on P&T for $165 a "perfect price" considering that it goes for far less now when it immediately sold out?

Your logic makes no sense, nor does anyone commenting on the price of artwork on an art message board mean its any less useless. Sure, it might be useless to you, so if that's the case, don't read it.

To be fair- I guess it's almost as useless as someone claiming they know a certain artist is doing a vinyl for a certain popular movie, only to find out that person with "insider info", was completely wrong.
this is america and you are free to comment/complain about whatever you want, however, that doesn't mean that others aren't going to comment in return, especially when said comments make you sound like such a twat. not sure who you think you are to determine the price of an artists' work, but i'm sure jay & aaron will give you a ring next time to see if you think them honing their craft is overpriced. independent of the caliber of the two artists involved in this print, $150 for a collaborative effort print with an edition of 95 is reasonable give the time & effort that goes into creating it.

in the spate of comments you've made it's readily apparent that you are far more concerned about money and the relative value of prints as opposed to the art itself or the time and toil that goes into producing it. that being said, i suppose it's not surprising that your 'collection' is private yet you have several pages of WT (including horkey pieces) so perhaps all this is to you is a means to an end - or to put it in more basic terms, a cash grab. so, in reality, i guess the reason you are so butthurt about them charging a higher price is because it effects your profit margin when you decide to sell the print as opposed to putting it on your wall or adding it to your 'collection'.
User avatar
lsmith55
Art Expert
Posts: 5560
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:51 pm

egrimens wrote: I have been directly and indirectly told that I cost too much and things I have worked on cost too much, but it doesn't bother me (as it shouldn't bother Jay or Aaron) because I know if I did actually cost too much or my work was overpriced I wouldn't still be doing what I'm doing.
Amen to that. Appartently a majority of the people on here either A) Don't have jobs. or B) Have never worked in any form of the professional services industry.

I work in advertising and we have discussions like this with clients on a weekly basis. Instead of bitching about it or getting offended, we do what we can to accommodate what a client is trying to spend. Smellmysocks is a horkey fanatic, so i think he just took it a bit personally.
Image Don't try it, you drymount.
Post Reply