Metropolis 13 Durieux Release Discussion 03/29/13

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
veltri
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:04 am

Codeblue wrote:What's going on in here?
Someone called Dark Hall Mansion's mom.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:06 am

*I did not try for this release.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
thriftypix
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:10 am

sidewaysscott wrote:complaining
Hope you're not talking about me. I've now read through some of this thread, and a good number of the people who have been posting could be considered "complainers" or worse. I was simply adding my name to the long list of the disappointed. Here's hoping Laurent has a few APs that he'll be putting up for sale some day.
sasquatch
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:14 am

White girl problems.
recycler
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:15 am

Well I am still sour about the drop. I don't believe dhm had anything to do with the problem though...

I had something similar to this actually happened about 4 or 5 years ago. Spusta was releasing his artist edition of his first WSP Chicago posters, and the buy buttons would not pop up. The Spusta had a happier ending. If someone wants to make my ending happy I can trade the spusta straight up :)

By the way, kind of surprised no one has made one of those nazi angry movies with today's occurrence. Be perfect
sidewaysscott
Art God

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:25 am

thriftypix wrote:
Hope you're not talking about me. I've now read through some of this thread, and a good number of the people who have been posting could be considered "complainers" or worse. I was simply adding my name to the long list of the disappointed. Here's hoping Laurent has a few APs that he'll be putting up for sale some day.
not at all man. i was disappointed as well. i was probably complaining towards flippers...mainly stebila
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
Libertine
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:13 am

Chico wrote:this one should make it $32K

Hello from Dark Hall Mansion,

Just a quick reminder on THIS Friday's release of our DHM-Seminal Film
Series debut print: "METROPOLIS" by artist Laurent Durieux.

Our first print release launching the DHM-Seminal Film Series,
"METROPOLIS," goes on sale THIS FRIDAY Mar 29th at 9:30 AM PST!

For those not familiar with our on sale release process please know: On
FRI morning at 9:30 AM PST you need
only click onto our Store page here:
http://www.darkhallmansionstore.com, refresh right at 9:30 AM PST, and
Paypal Add-to-Cart buttons will pop up beneath all "METROPOLIS!"
Editions and you may safely complete your
purchase then. *Load ONLY this page, not the entire DHM site, as we
have the Store page hosted separately
to facilitate buyer checkout.

You may see artist Laurent Duriex's "METROPOLIS" editions: Standard,
Variant and Metal on our DHM Facebook
page here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dark-Hall ... 4752134162

Or see all details on our DHM Store page, above, or DHM site Blog:
http://www.darkhallmansion.com/?page_id=476
Please be patient on Blog image load, they're large for better review
of artwork.

==========================================

All DHM-Seminal Film Series "METROPOLIS" editions are strictly limited,
numbered and screen printed, with
the Standard Edition limited to only 200 worldwide, the Variant Edition
limited to just 100, and the Metal
Editions limited to 10 examples only.

Editions:

Standard: "METROPOLIS" (Edition of 200) $65
Variant "METROPOLIS (Edition of 100) $100
Metal: "METROPOLIS (Edition of 10: Std/Var art) $250

=========================================

We'll see you THIS FRIDAY morning right here:
http://www.darkhallmansionstore.com

And thank you all so very, very much for all the wonderful emails
coming in on the the launch of our new
DHM-Seminal Film Series, we're MOST excited and can't wait to share our
upcoming releases from the series!

Expect surprises!!

DHM

The Mansion
http://www.DarkHallMansion.com
What a douche ... :roll: maybe admins should do something about this hating if people can't crontrol their frustration and anger ... (and I am repeting my self but lets start a petition about banning instantflippers from expressobeans, the "inhand rule" shouldn't only work for the FS/FT section of this forum but for all sales for which this forum is used by it's members!)
WhoLikesRingo wrote:
WHo wants to be yelled at all day. They are not shady, they are actually really good at shipping and such. They resent 100s of COA for the Beatles b/c a few people reported problems. They contacted everyone that bought one and asked if they needed to reprint it. This company cares about the buyers. You think they control the interenets? Like they wanted to do this to everyone.

This drop was smaller than Mondo yesterday or Fairey numbers almost any day and Fairey's site is worse than this, some folks didn't get buy option for Acedia, it happens. All this whining is driving up the prices in the second market. Stoicism wins the day.
[/quote]

I totally agree!
questkid32 wrote:
misterwhisper wrote:There's good reason for all of the animosity here. Personally, I miss way more drops than I score. I'm used to it. It's rare that missing a print pisses me off as much as this one does. In fact, it's unprecedented -- in all of my years of collecting and missing prints and losing lotteries, this is the only time I've felt screwed enough to send an email to the company. It's not even ownership of the print itself that bugs me in this case. It's not the complete incompetence of the webstore. It's not that we have every right to expect better from a seasoned store that's been around the block a few times and should know the score. It's not even the fact that without a button, I never even had a chance. It's the fact the I, like so many of us, rearranged a busy Friday schedule to take three minutes for this drop. And those three minutes became five. And ten. And then fifteen, and then twenty, each second more frustrating than the previous. And then finally having to log into a forum to discover that they'd sold out, because the webstore is still promising that the prints are "coming soon." Now my real-world arrangements are screwed, as are those of the people whom I've already bumped till 10 and who now have to push back their schedules even further, because now I'm not going to make it on time. And not because I didn't score a print, which I should've known by 9:30:30 AM at the latest, but because the webstore couldn't even acknowledge the prints were sold out. Print acquisition, screwed. That's acceptable. Day, screwed -- that's not.

I know a lot of pissed-off EB customers are going to boycott DHM from now on, which is appropriate, but absolutely meaningless to a company that thrives on selling small runs to a competitive audience. The real solution is if the artists themselves boycott. I know that M. Durieux is aware of the situation, having been screwed by them himself. Let's hope the artists do something. Let's hope that they realize their talents are in demand, and that they don't need to limit themselves to publishers and galleries who will only frustrate and anger their fans. Artists, there are a million other venues who will be happy to sell your work, and who will do so in a fair and competent manner. In the future, please use them instead.
Screen shot 2013-03-29 at 5.14.51 PM.jpg
You're pissed because you lost 20 mins? Dude have you ever had to wait around for a "random" AP drop? That's a day wasted and something to get upset over. 20 mins is a joke.

I'm sure no one will actually boycott DHM when next they release another beautiful print, but if they do, then great. Will make it easier for me.

Please also note that this is coming from someone who missed out this morning.
Yes, atleast it was no random time drop. And if you've read what DHM explained here over and over again you would've understood that it wasn't their fault. They contracted with a very good provider and this provider drymounted up... so please tell me what DHM did wrong?
Last edited by Libertine on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imageth Circle * Image
chadly96
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:20 am

I remember no buy buttons showing up for the Kelly Django drop a couple of weeks ago...I figure our Government should be worrying about more important things than an opt out issue on an email...
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:57 am

I deleted a post yesterday but after reading some of these comments coming back again just to give my opinion on DHM.

Yesterdays event probably wasn't a direct cause of DHM, UNLESS (which they will never admit) they are using some dime store hosting company to save money (which wouldn't surprise me, prints are no longer signed to save money I'm sure) OR they made a recent provider change and did not conduct proper testing.

With all the emails they send, posting of EB- tends to piss customers off when they promise excellence but a huge amount of customers even a hour after the drop see COMING SOON.

Now as to some past events with them for the discussion of "excellent service" - excellent service is more than just writing it in a email or posting "I care" on a forum. ACTION SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS - and here is an example of actions that occurred with me which I will bring up again because I saw in this string - them accusing me of extortion :hanging:

On the Thankgiving Peanuts drop someone (I still blame DHM site for carting the wrong poster) I ended up ordering Halloween posters (should also be noted that I had purchased those prints a month earlier and they were already received when the 2nd order got placed)
'
DHM notified- refuses to help me citing the "no return policy and tells me I MUST have purchased them, basically calling me a liar where I sit. Well, that return policy states clearly "to avoid flipper regret" - well that poster had been available for a month already so it was clearly not a case of that plus it was purchased during the Peanuts Thanksgving drop so it was real clear that wasn't the case here. Just an accident- whether induced by DHM or not, an accident. I told them I would pay for the shipping and understood they shouldn't pay that. DENIED

So I sent them a scolding email and started a thread on EB to ask other members if they had carting problems with DHM and explained their idiocy.

it should also be noted that the mis-ordered prints weren't received for over a month (great service? - they were in stock because I already received them when I ordered them a month before.. imagine that, a repeat DHM customer) and I also noticed on the shipping invoice, HAND WRITTEN, "hold per XXXX" so it drew further questions in my mind if DHM was aware of the carting issues since they weren't shipped immediately. (that in itself is poor service and should have constituted an immediate return approval if you consider yourselves giving superior service.....)

Then DHM "makes an exception" to take a return - what gods they are! :hanging:

When the posters get returned, I get an email about me damaging creasing one of them!! OMG - I was completed insulted. I pack better than DHM (tape and roll my bundles) !! That useless bubble wrap that ends up in the middle of the tube every time.... Regardless, I did my best to return them in good shape only to have that crap thrown at me with the refund.

What sense did that make DHM? Superior customer service ya think?

I work for a company that PROVIDES superior service- not superior lip service. These actions would get you fired at my job ......you don't beat REPEAT customers (how many prints have I purchased from DHM- a dozen?) and then make exceptions and call it superior. :hanging: :hanging:
thriftypix
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:11 am

sidewaysscott wrote:
thriftypix wrote:
not at all man. i was disappointed as well. i was probably complaining towards flippers...mainly stebila
Cool. I think we're floating in the same boat, man. And as to the flipping crowd? Whatever. DHM's "server issues" - however they happened and whoever ultimately is to blame. - effectively printed a whole bunch of cash for the speculators. Not the first time or the last. But if stebila is doing it inside the EB ecosystem, with posters not yet in hand? Very uncool. No laws against it, but what goes around comes around. This community should be about doing solids for each other whenever possible.
bkboy77
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:29 am

wow, lots of issues for this poster. Is this the only Metropolis poster out in the market right now?
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
cargoflipper
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:48 am

wasted 30 minutes of my day. pissed. slept on it. dont even want the print now.
hellosir wrote:People truly bitch about everything these days
adamrworsell
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:59 am

It's just paper...
TKuczynski
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:00 am

Grateful69Phish wrote:So I sent them a scolding email and started a thread on EB to ask other members if they had carting problems with DHM and explained their idiocy.
Here's what I posted in that thread, because, well, DHM really helped me out:
TKuczynski wrote:FWIW, one time I accidentally placed the same order twice on DHM. Separate orders of the same item. The site was experiencing heavy traffic due to the demand, and I wasn't sure my order was even going through. Then I got two receipts.

I emailed them, and they refunded me for one of the orders. It was a fantastic customer service experience.
Perhaps if you hadn't thrown a tantrum in the form of a scolding email, things would have worked out smoothly for you too.
Grateful69Phish wrote:(how many prints have I purchased from DHM- a dozen?)
This doesn't make you any more deserving than someone who's only bought one, or even none. You seem to buy from them a lot. How did those other purchases turn out? It sounds to me like they're a company that's producing a product for you, a part of a small market of collectors, who, after initially purchasing and receiving those products, continue to purchase them because they are generally satisfied with that product and the service they receive. If you're not satisfied with DHM, stop buying from them.

Here's a link to that other thread, note that other people who reported receiving "uncarted" prints admit to performing practice drops before the actual drop using the other items that were still in stock.

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 2&t=101178

If that's what happened to you and you can't admit it as even a possibility, lulz. In the end, you still were able to return the "uncarted" item, right? If so, what are you complaining about? You've bought a dozen posters from DHM and you've gotten them all.

This is some limited fudge mayne.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:10 am

Dude- I've been buying posters for a decade and know all about "practicing"

That wasn't the case- it carted 2 posters, not the single Thanksgiving print selected, on a single click. :lol:
So I misclicked twice? :hanging: Wouldn't the purchase the month before on the same computer cleared the cart? yea.... anWhatever- internutz- sure it was all my fault just like the incident on this poster was nobody fault. :lol:

And I believe the difference in handling might have been- the prints were received before the error was recognized.

And I love folks that defend certain things and blow by facts: Why did it take them a month then to ship prints in stock?

Why was a message on the invoice "HOLD per XXX" - something was wrong- PERIOD.

I did ask them nicely in the 1st email and then got an insulting email with their return policy :hanging:

Just like I got an insulting email when I returned them, claiming I damaged one of them.

Point here is- not exceptional service.
Last edited by Grateful69Phish on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.