Acedia 12 Geddes Release Discussion 11/20/12

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 am

Just for a little contrast we should ask Michael Peck what he thinks of flippers?
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:02 am

sixstringer wrote:Just for a little contrast we should ask Michael Peck what he thinks of flippers?
Back story?
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:09 am

Flippers are like paparazzi. They come with success and often help perpetuate it. They are annoying until they aren't there...then you may wish they were.
appletree
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:40 am

Pertaining to the current discussion I disagree with selling to previous owners (easy place for dishonest to take advantage of), quizzes, tests, lotteries, etc etc. I think it is fine like it is and maybe look into the button not appearing for some. I think having the dedicated page for the prints, a set time (maybe give a few hour window) and date, speedy server(s), etc etc were all great.

The limited window would be interesting. Basically a timed edition but only have like 2 mins. Flippers need not apply (some will anyway) and all who have the funds and want one (not for the investment alone) can snag one. Never seen a short window but might work.

Also remember while your customer service is among the best, you will always have some people who will not be able to obtain one, cannot afford one, missed the time, don't like the system used, and complain regardless. Very difficult to please 100% of the community (although IMO you and Jeremy are pleasing a huge %)

PS: Not to change the subject, but to anyone else who snagged a large did you have any damage? Gonna fully open mine soon, but when looking at the other day I noticed a few inches worth of edge damage, pretty noticeable. Since it is on the edge I don't really care (IMO that is why there is an edge), just curious.
I am sure the image is just fine throughout.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
AttorneyGreg
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:02 pm

appletree wrote:Also remember while your customer service is among the best, you will always have some people who will not be able to obtain one, cannot afford one, missed the time, don't like the system used, and complain regardless. Very difficult to please 100% of the community (although IMO you and Jeremy are pleasing a huge %)
This. I happen to like when releases are at a fixed time (not that everyone doesn't love wasting hours refreshing a site for hours) and think while its nice of you to ask about suggested changes etc., you should just do what works best for you.

looking for a good idea in all of these "suggestions" is like looking for a needle in a hay stack under an avalanche led by a blind man
PLUSH
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:26 pm

soph wrote:I'm also thinking we need to find a different way to do the releases. I've reached the end of my tether with speculators and flippers.
Why on the release? Also, why on the flippers? What irks you the most? I have $4000 into your stuff, with only 3 coming from the drop, the others had to be bought from third-party.

Things are going to flip if people want them. Even if there are 800 prints, for you guys, there are always going to be 800+ wanting them. If not for them to want, for them to make some money. It is the nature of the beast.

Don't do lotteries, it would not fix anything.
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:29 pm

PLUSH wrote:
soph wrote:I'm also thinking we need to find a different way to do the releases. I've reached the end of my tether with speculators and flippers.
Why on the release? Also, why on the flippers? What irks you the most? I have $4000 into your stuff, with only 3 coming from the drop, the others had to be bought from third-party.

Things are going to flip if people want them. Even if there are 800 prints, for you guys, there are always going to be 800+ wanting them. If not for them to want, for them to make some money. It is the nature of the beast.

Don't do lotteries, it would not fix anything.
:clap:
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
agzaker
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Don't do lotteries, it would not fix anything
RestlessEye
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:06 pm

No lottery please. Although the Acedia drop kinda felt like a lottery with the purchase button randomly appearing.
technique
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 pm

RestlessEye wrote:No lottery please. Although the Acedia drop kinda felt like a lottery with the purchase button randomly appearing.

Yeah this and even though I didn't score the buy button did at least appear for me but lotteries are :vomit:
Scottjohnston
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:36 pm

I missed on Acedia. The current setup is fine. Why tinker with a good thing!?
summoner
Art Freak

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:38 pm

fordwd wrote:
summoner wrote:Oh, and I see you are from South Africa... :lol: ...... :roll:
If you are implying what I think you are then you are out of drymounting line. That fudge is not on. End of story.

Soph asked for suggestions and I offered one. I didn't proclaim it as the answer but rather as a suggestion...Yes, it will be a lot of work; verification would be tough, but there are ways and means. As for the elitist thing, I'm sure that could be argued either way, but it seems quite self explanatory that if someone bought a print because they liked it and didn't sell it they would be considered a fan.
If it looks like a duck....
Image Image Image
actorinthisplay
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:45 pm

There is no way to deter flippers and still keep edition sizes low. It just won't happen. Flippers will still enter lotteries (people do it with Stout's all the time). Warmer Air is really the only Geddes print that doesn't really flip and that's because it was a timed edition so most everyone who wanted one, has one.

You can always oversaturate the market with the amount of prints you produce and the edition sizes like McCarthy and that will get rid of flippers.
felocin
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:49 pm

The supply and demand comment made earlier is really the only way to deal with the problem without ridiculously complex systems that would still not be fair to all. Warmer air is affordable and available do to the supply. Being one that cares that it is on my wall not the monetary value I am fine with that. Everyone who wants one has one, Jem and Soph made lots of coin and flippers are still stuck with some. I don't see a much better outcome coming out of any other system.

Since Soph said they can't all be time released then there will be the kind of demand and scarcity that makes flipping profitable on those drops. Not much can be done about that. imo
felocin
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:50 pm

felocin wrote:The supply and demand comment made earlier is really the only way to deal with the problem without ridiculously complex systems that would still not be fair to all. Warmer air is affordable and available do to the supply. Being one that cares that it is on my wall not the monetary value I am fine with that. Everyone who wants one has one, Jem and Soph made lots of coin and flippers are still stuck with some. I don't see a much better outcome coming out of any other system.

Since Soph said they can't all be time released then there will be the kind of demand and scarcity that makes flipping profitable on those drops. Not much can be done about that. imo
actorinthisplay wrote:There is no way to deter flippers and still keep edition sizes low. It just won't happen. Flippers will still enter lotteries (people do it with Stout's all the time). Warmer Air is really the only Geddes print that doesn't really flip and that's because it was a timed edition so most everyone who wanted one, has one.

You can always oversaturate the market with the amount of prints you produce and the edition sizes like McCarthy and that will get rid of flippers.
brilliant minds......