Acedia 12 Geddes Release Discussion 11/20/12

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
Libertine
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:43 am

I know that it would mean more work for you but how about sending out something like a quiz (maybe 1-3 questions, eg. art /art history related) which you can answer after doing some serious internet research. People have to email you the answer and the fastest people will get a link to buy the print. This wouldn'T solve the problem that one guy can purchase several copies using different addresses and paypalaccounts, maybe this would even amplify this problem but you would've less flipper and more people who are really interested in the print!

Apart from this, this:
BlakeAronson wrote:there are two ways you can get rid of flippers.

1. raise your prices (in this case considerably) until demand matches supply
2. raise your edition sizes until supply matches demand.

neither are very good options for an artist in the long run as they can end up with unsold prints, poor resale value , and alienated fans/collectors.

best option is to keep your work limited, keep it at the price/edition size you see fit that creates sellouts with the right demand/supply ratio for the prints value to rise. You can throw out a timed release every now and then so everyone can have a piece of the pie.
is the best way to handle this problem!
Imageth Circle * Image
mrkyuss
Art God

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:44 am

Just make them all XL and charge 1.5 k per print. That will separate the men from the boys .
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
alexphoto01
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:50 am

So long as there is money to be made people will come out and play - regardless of the game
Last edited by alexphoto01 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Libertine
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:50 am

mrkyuss wrote:Just make them all XL and charge 1.5 k per print. That will separate the men from the boys .
true because many people don't have the funds to buy it then, even if you still could flip it! And flippers would need to be more patient.
Imageth Circle * Image
DickButt
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:42 am

fordwd wrote:This is probably going to be shot down because of logistics etc. but I reckon it will be pretty cool if preference is given to buyers that can prove that they still have previously bought prints in hand or on the their wall (doesn't matter if you've only bought APV, for example, if you can prove you still have it it gets you on the list).

That way the true collectors will end up with some of the prints...It might be a little biased on my end, but hey, I just want to keep collecting Jeremy's work...

Libertine wrote:I know that it would mean more work for you but how about sending out something like a quiz (maybe 1-3 questions, eg. art /art history related) which you can answer after doing some serious internet research. People have to email you the answer and the fastest people will get a link to buy the print. This wouldn'T solve the problem that one guy can purchase several copies using different addresses and paypalaccounts, maybe this would even amplify this problem but you would've less flipper and more people who are really interested in the print!
2 prime examples of why you shouldn't ask for opinions here. A quiz? Proof I already own a print? Seriously?

Keep the releases as they are. Don't over-think it. As many have already said, lottos only make it easier for "flippers" to get multiple copies since they can get everyone they know to enter. It would be a disservice to fans. If anything, just add language in your release emails/terms and conditions that you retain the right to cancel orders of those suspected of reselling the print. Obey has a whole page on their site - http://www.obeygiant.com/store/policy. I think that's the best you can do to deter flippers.

I look forward to the next release :pint:
fordwd
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:44 am

misterwhisper wrote:
fordwd wrote:This is probably going to be shot down because of logistics etc. but I reckon it will be pretty cool if preference is given to buyers that can prove that they still have previously bought prints in hand or on the their wall (doesn't matter if you've only bought APV, for example, if you can prove you still have it it gets you on the list).

That way the true collectors will end up with some of the prints...It might be a little biased on my end, but hey, I just want to keep collecting Jeremy's work... :P
So, basically, only the people who own Geddes prints should be allowed to purchase Geddes prints?

812 posts and I believe this is the first time I've ever felt the need to use the eye roll. :roll:
I probably didn't phrase it quite right, but if a percentage of the run goes out in this way it will help ensure that collectors get the prints they are after. Obviously first time buyers should also be given a chance with a certain percentage of the run allocated to them...

There are always pros and cons to any system. Personally I loath lotteries and have been pretty successful with Jeremy's drops so I wouldn't mind if the system stayed as it is. Just throwing ideas around about how we can combat the "flipper problem". I think a list of known flippers could help, but it is near on impossible to keep them all out.

As for smooth drops, I will agree with the above comment about Faile's recent drop, I think that worked pretty well. It helps to alleviate some of the connection speed problems as only one click that has to be handled, avoids the carting problem, and gives people time to complete their purchase in a leisurely fashion once the invoices goes out.
DickButt
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:47 am

fordwd wrote: I probably didn't phrase it quite right, but if a percentage of the run goes out in this way it will help ensure that collectors get the prints they are after. Obviously first time buyers should also be given a chance with a certain percentage of the run allocated to them...
i would be open to that. A small percentage. Like 10%.
mrkyuss
Art God

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:59 am

fordwd wrote:
misterwhisper wrote:

That way the true collectors will end up with some of the prints...It might be a little biased on my end, but hey, I just want to keep collecting Jeremy's work... :P
So, basically, only the people who own Geddes prints should be allowed to purchase Geddes prints?

812 posts and I believe this is the first time I've ever felt the need to use the eye roll. :roll:
I probably didn't phrase it quite right, but if a percentage of the run goes out in this way it will help ensure that collectors get the prints they are after. Obviously first time buyers should also be given a chance with a certain percentage of the run allocated to them...

There are always pros and cons to any system. Personally I loath lotteries and have been pretty successful with Jeremy's drops so I wouldn't mind if the system stayed as it is. Just throwing ideas around about how we can combat the "flipper problem". I think a list of known flippers could help, but it is near on impossible to keep them all out.

As for smooth drops, I will agree with the above comment about Faile's recent drop, I think that worked pretty well. It helps to alleviate some of the connection speed problems as only one click that has to be handled, avoids the carting problem, and gives people time to complete their purchase in a leisurely fashion once the invoices goes out.
Bit hard to verify. You don't think flippers keep receipts and photos of prints??
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
alittle
Art Freak

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:01 am

Worst idea ever. Not to mention a ridiculous amount of work for Soph, which won't accomplish anything. This is an art print, not a drymounting Enzo Ferrari...
summoner
Art Freak

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:04 am

So you are asking for an elitest group to be created simply because someone bought and didnt sell a print, that would allow them to be able to buy another without having to go through the same buying process that everyone else does? Oh, and I see you are from South Africa... :lol: ...... :roll:
Image Image Image
fordwd
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:32 am

summoner wrote:Oh, and I see you are from South Africa... :lol: ...... :roll:
If you are implying what I think you are then you are out of drymounting line. That fudge is not on. End of story.

Soph asked for suggestions and I offered one. I didn't proclaim it as the answer but rather as a suggestion...Yes, it will be a lot of work; verification would be tough, but there are ways and means. As for the elitist thing, I'm sure that could be argued either way, but it seems quite self explanatory that if someone bought a print because they liked it and didn't sell it they would be considered a fan.
cerebus
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:34 am

You could take a picture with that day's newspaper.

It would look like a bunch of kidnapping pictures.

Stout used to do something like this, no?
finneganm
Art Freak

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:38 am

Honest question, has anyone ever done a very short limited window timed edition (10 minutes or so)? I keep advocating this, but I'm not sure if it's been done before. If not, I think it could be a very interesting experiment.
That's what she said
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:39 am

I can't say i've ever seen it. I'd like to though! 2 minute window would be great.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
john38103
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:45 am

The only things I've ever managed to purchase directly are Warmer Air & the portfolios. And that's okay. I feel like the Geddes' customer service is always above and beyond. I'll keep trying to get lucky on the drops. Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't. That's life. I know some will disagree with me but I also feel that their website behaved better during the Acedia drop. That may sound weird considering I failed to score one but I didn't have the same problems I've had in the past with entire pages not loading etc. I feel like the portfolios and timed editions are wonderful gestures for us fans and should be more than enough to make up for missing out on the limited drops.