MONDO - The Art of Greg Ruth: A Twin Peaks Interpretation

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:02 pm

The Art of Greg Ruth: A Twin Peaks Interpretation

March 8-12, 2019
Mondo Gallery / Austin, TX
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:20 pm

So it goes...
patquelly
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:39 pm

This should be great. If anyone is able to PB, shoot me a PM. Thanks!
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:47 pm

:!:
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 pm

Seems more like a fall show than a SXSW show. Also bummed that we are getting a Ruth show and it’s all TP. I like twin as much as the next person but feels like Ruth is being wasted a bit.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:43 pm

Twin Peaks takes place in the early spring, so I think the timeframe is fine. It is kind of a bummer to not do a Ruth show of multiple licenses, or a Twin Peaks show with various artists.

I'd bet that this is just going to be a few screenprints and a bunch of giclees from his White Lodge stuff he has already done. It makes sense business wise for SXSW, small giclees in large runs are easier to sell and more transportable than large screenprints. All the work was already done, just seems lazy for Mondo.
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 am

EgoDeath wrote:It is kind of a bummer to not do a Ruth show of multiple licenses
Hopefully that's slated for the future.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:29 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:Seems more like a fall show than a SXSW show. Also bummed that we are getting a Ruth show and it’s all TP. I like twin as much as the next person but feels like Ruth is being wasted a bit.
agreed - this will be phenomenal, but I'd love a more wide-ranging show of Ruth work. He's just unreal.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Nards, seems like a very specific show. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I'll still be happy to stop in and check it out.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Looking for a PB. never request them but really want some of these prints!
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:19 pm

DaleCooper wrote:Looking for a PB. never request them but really want some of these prints!
Name checks out.
Mondo wrote: We're excited to announce our next gallery show “The Art of Greg Ruth - A Twin Peaks Interpretation” featuring over 60 new prints by artist Greg Ruth inspired by the iconic SHOWTIME® series from Mark Frost and David Lynch.

The opening reception will take place on Friday, March 8 from 6 – 10 PM, and will remain on display through March 12 for regular gallery hours (Tuesday - Sunday, 12 PM - 6 PM). All giclée prints will be available at the gallery for purchase starting opening night, and remaining prints will be released online each month through August on our website. The Mondo Gallery is located at 4115 Guadalupe St.

“We were blown away by the art Greg had done online for TWIN PEAKS as a fan, so we wanted to find a way to get that work out into the world,” said Creative Director Mitch Putnam. “When the idea of a gallery show came up, we knew having all of the pieces in one room was too good to pass up.”

Commenting on his inspiration for the show, artist Greg Ruth says, "TWIN PEAKS changed everything in the spring of 1990, and I was mesmerized by its weekly soap-opera format and brilliant dance between mystery, comedy and romance and a kind of horror that had never before existed on the small screen. It influenced a generation of admirers and later inspired me to use it as a short series of portraits of the various keys characters as I tested my new love of graphite work under the umbrella of my self-assigned weekly drawing series, The 52 Weeks Project. When TWIN PEAKS aired on SHOWTIME® recently, it sparked an even more enthusiastic and complex series of original drawings that still seems inexhaustible. It is a wellspring of totems, symbols, storytelling and character that is unmatched by any other contenders out there. TWIN PEAKS continues to be a deep inspiration for me personally, and it is nothing short of the most insanely fantastic honor imaginable to be able to launch this print series and gallery show. If I could only whisper in my ear 27 years ago with the promise of this…"

Below is the online release schedule for the TWIN PEAKS prints, each series contains five giclée prints:

MARCH 21: Series 1 + 2 + 3
APRIL 11: Series 4 + 5
MAY 9: Series 6 + 7
JUNE 13: Series 8 + 9
JULY 11: Series 10 + 11
AUGUST 15: Series 12

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/the-ar ... llery-show
TWIN PEAK$
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:25 pm

So is there any possible reason for that online release schedule other than to gouge on multiple shipping charges? :hanging:
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:32 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:So is there any possible reason for that online release schedule other than to gouge on multiple shipping charges? :hanging:
Well, each "pack" contains 5 prints, so I imagine its less about shipping charges and more about being able to maximize profit and spread out the payments.

People will be more inclined to buy them monthly then drop a large amount of money all at once.

Just think how much they can markup each pack to be? Greg Ruth, expensive license, popular cult following, series to "collect"... it checks all the boxes to qualify a hefty price tag per pack.
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:33 am

Is anybody going to try and collect all 60?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:23 pm

Khanh!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.