The Art of Laurent Durieux | Part Two (11/9 - Mondo Gallery)

Discussion of gallery shows and art exhibitions.
doppelgangbanger
Art Enthusiast

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:17 pm

finneganm wrote:As someone who sat at home, I think it’s hilarious that Tucker has like a half dozen, hundred dollar variant prints based on the colors from the original car production line.
It's a bit cheeky but he pulled it off.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Show was a miss for me. Apocalypse Now (Reflection) was the only highlight in my opinion.

Spelling error on the first line of the first name in a big' ol' font is kind of embarrassing for a company that has been making movie prints for over ten years... and actually selling it like that is an interesting choice.
playa787
Art Expert

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Just like films, the sequel is usually not as good. Reminds me of the Mark Englert Spielberg show.
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.
rubberneck
Art God

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:34 pm

AN series are my favorites of the exhibition.

Color palette harkens back to older LD releases and having likenesses and credits make them feel complete and uncompromised in their execution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Cragars
Art Expert

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Waiting for Julien print is niiiice
SPAC04
Art Expert

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:25 pm

hunterjax wrote:7 variants for one poster? Or seven slightly different posters? either way . . . interested to see how that's going to come out.
doppelgangbanger wrote:
finneganm wrote:As someone who sat at home, I think it’s hilarious that Tucker has like a half dozen, hundred dollar variant prints based on the colors from the original car production line.
It's a bit cheeky but he pulled it off.
How many were in each run? if there's 1400 posters with only slight color variations for that fudge it seems like some self indulgent nonsense. The completely unfinished slimer on the ghostbusters is annoying, as is the missed opportunity to render staypuft or zule scene or that gate keeper dog in favor of doin the punchline trap house. I've grown tired of the visual gags tbh. These concepts soiled the execution of what could have been two awesome Shining posters (not to mention Alien way back when) and titanic is really the worst case of that shite. If he'd have just done a travel poster with the ship on it would work excellent, but instead he did...that.

The alt AN is my favorite piece by a mile and the swamp version is cool as well. I like the colors on the ex machina var. looking forward to Deer Hunter reveal, hoping it's not ruined by some sly attempt at being clever.
deancc
Art Expert

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:56 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Minolta70 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:but what's the movie with the lady in the restaurant?
Ascenseur pour l'échafaud, but its not in a restaurant. Great movie with gorgeous soundtrack who need a black/white print.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Dig the poster.
Very good film and nice print. That said, I don't recall a scene with Jeanne Moreau smoking next to the elevator in the film.

And, yes, the Miles Davis soundtrack is great.
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Hopefully LD will secretly print a credits version of Elevator to the Gallows for the trufans.

Also, I'm glad he turned his Mystery Train cover into a print, but I wish he had made it landscape and extended the view of the street...
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:57 pm

SPAC04 wrote: I've grown tired of the visual gags tbh. These concepts soiled the execution of what could have been two awesome Shining posters (not to mention Alien way back when) and titanic is really the worst case of that shite.
Exactly. Yeah, visual gags are great when they are they are used in the secondary read of the poster. Presenting a striking composition then realizing the artist added a reference you catch upon further inspection. The majority of the work (Apocalypse Now prints aside) was all just shoving the gimmick right in front of the viewers face.
Look the axe IS the typewriter!!! - and just so you wont miss it, I'm going to leave the huge handle on the side of the image, way no one will miss it! To really drive it home for the truly oblivious, I'll have the "MURDE" keys pressed down. It doesn't spell anything since a letter is repeated, but it will make it look much more clever.
And here in this masterpiece, I'll put the doorframe on the back of the bike! Even though it doesn't retain the same visual language like a shark-fin/umbrella, I'll relentlessly shove the two of them together, because... gags
And in my final creation, GHOSTBUSTERS - I'll make the firehouse a ghost trap,... THEY ARE BOTH RECTANGLES!!!
It's almost like creating gags was a requirement in the creative brief of this show.
MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Seems like there's a lot of pics and chatter in the FB groups about creases and paint issues. Bummer.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:49 pm

Must be some new hires working the sales counter.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
rubberneck
Art God

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:41 pm

MonteAlderaan wrote:Seems like there's a lot of pics and chatter in the FB groups about creases and paint issues. Bummer.
Missing inks, gorrila grips and crease lines is being discussed with some frequency across multiple groups unfortunately.

Seems like aftermarket purchases may be a roll of the dice.

mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:49 pm

Heard about several printing issues, myself. Not sure what happened. Were these all done by D&L?
So it goes...
rubberneck
Art God

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:03 am

Threads are vague on confirmed printers.

But pics in FB are more than just anal collectors finding minute errors, there are some seriously mishandled prints being displayed. Grease marks, ink gaps, registration issues and deep creases. Speculation is, that the signing process was the cause of the actual paper damage thru mishandling.

At this point Mondo is no doubt aware and will offer some recourse.

They were good at last LD event for me when I was missing a print and also replaced one for a friend.

Just frustrating for those who spent hours lining up to have to deal with this after the high of attending the exhibition.

mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:16 am

I wonder what sort of options there'll be though, if so many of the editions are sold out.
So it goes...