Page 2 of 4

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:43 pm
by alexfugazi
dodgers77 wrote:Mondo
Cyclops
Spoke Art
Hero Complex
Danger
Francavilla
Mike Saputo
Kevin Tong
Richey Becket
Tim Doyle
NC Winters
Edmiston
Tobin
LandLand
Sara Deck
Scott C

Pretty steller lineup, definitely be there ! :clap:
Hey, ummmmm- more than one person has mentioned this, but I have no idea why I'm listed as being a guest? (I'm Tim Doyle). Can someone let me know where they saw this, so I can clear it up? I can't seem to find it on their site...

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:21 pm
by toobs
Wait wut ?

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:30 pm
by Codeblue
They just put yer name there to see how fast you'd show up.

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:33 pm
by egrimens
alexfugazi wrote:
dodgers77 wrote:Mondo
Cyclops
Spoke Art
Hero Complex
Danger
Francavilla
Mike Saputo
Kevin Tong
Richey Becket
Tim Doyle
NC Winters
Edmiston
Tobin
LandLand
Sara Deck
Scott C

Pretty steller lineup, definitely be there ! :clap:
Hey, ummmmm- more than one person has mentioned this, but I have no idea why I'm listed as being a guest? (I'm Tim Doyle). Can someone let me know where they saw this, so I can clear it up? I can't seem to find it on their site...

ummm here
https://www.expocad.com/host/fx/designe ... exhibitors
Booth 2517
Between NC Winters and Info-Rama

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:06 am
by alexfugazi
Ah- all sorted. If Daniel Danger hadn't posted about it a couple weeks back, I would have no idea what this is.
So I guess they put me on their map w/out even talking to me? Just a weird mix-up- they had me on a list of artists to maybe talk to, but never did.
But it looks like I may be going, so feel free to come by and throw vegetables at my head.

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:06 am
by BenRichards
toobs wrote:lol - it used to not be a sh!tshow, this year it will be a full blown sh!tshow due to all the new people coming from Austin and other parts who think they are gunna make small fortune
It's not about making dough for everyone. Some people are coming to have a good time and get out of Texas for vacation. I realize SoCo is your own personal paradise, but folks have every right to come to cons out there, just like you coming to Texas events.

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:55 am
by BENYOUNG20
Yeah I have wanted to go for years. Have prints and designer toys all over my house....sorry if I don't fit the box.

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:30 pm
by simplyrob
I’m way excited for this.

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:45 pm
by toobs
BenRichards wrote:
toobs wrote:lol - it used to not be a sh!tshow, this year it will be a full blown sh!tshow due to all the new people coming from Austin and other parts who think they are gunna make small fortune
It's not about making dough for everyone. Some people are coming to have a good time and get out of Texas for vacation. I realize SoCo is your own personal paradise, but folks have every right to come to cons out there, just like you coming to Texas events.
I don't really care about folks coming, I'm a happy go lucky type of guy who likes to chat it up about art and drink with old friends. I guess people don't understand sarcasm or joking around anymore, everyone takes sh!t personal, none of this is directed to anyone person, i'm speaking in general and it's just an opinionated observation of mine, if what I type doesn't apply to you then cool have safe travels and enjoy.

All I'm saying is, it's funny that all of a sudden a sh!t ton people wanna goto Dcon - and ho hum Mondo is gunna be there. This event's been goin on for a decade and most people on these boards and poster groups on FB didn't give a flyin drymount about Dcon, but now that mondo is gunna be there and artist like NC Winters and Jason Edmitson are the new hotness (they've been goin to Dcon for years) everyone is like oh yea Dcon is awesome. It's not hard to do the math why most people are flying across country to attend this show for the first time.

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:39 pm
by EgoDeath
It would be pretty funny if Mondo just brought their upcoming toy lineup much to the chagrin of people expecting grail drops there. If you think about it, they have more than enough things to bring that are toy related judging by what they showed at SDCC, like the mech toy line and the 4000 tiki mugs they showed. I can already see the angry FB messages "anyone need anything at DCon? need to pay for my Thank$giving surge airfare tickets".

That being said, it certainly looks like it is something to take the place of MondoCon, especially considering Danger said something like "we decided to all go to Designer Con this year instead since MondoCon isn't coming back until 2019", and the Mondo table is surrounded by... Mondo Artists like Cloonan and Francavilla who, to my knowledge, normally don't attend those things.

Someone said on MT that they were only bringing Tiki's and Board Games, most likely an off-the-cuff remark, but I've already seen it repeated 3 or 4 different times, so lol on that.

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 pm
by Codeblue
EgoDeath wrote: That being said, it certainly looks like it is something to take the place of MondoCon, especially considering Danger said something like "we decided to all go to Designer Con this year instead since MondoCon isn't coming back until 2019", and the Mondo table is surrounded by... Mondo Artists like Cloonan and Francavilla who, to my knowledge, normally don't attend those things.
^ Kurtz Disney series dropping at DCon cangfirmed.

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:54 pm
by egrimens
EgoDeath wrote:It would be pretty funny if Mondo just brought their upcoming toy lineup much to the chagrin of people expecting grail drops there. If you think about it, they have more than enough things to bring that are toy related judging by what they showed at SDCC, like the mech toy line and the 4000 tiki mugs they showed. I can already see the angry FB messages "anyone need anything at DCon? need to pay for my Thank$giving surge airfare tickets".

That being said, it certainly looks like it is something to take the place of MondoCon, especially considering Danger said something like "we decided to all go to Designer Con this year instead since MondoCon isn't coming back until 2019", and the Mondo table is surrounded by... Mondo Artists like Cloonan and Francavilla who, to my knowledge, normally don't attend those things.

Someone said on MT that they were only bringing Tiki's and Board Games, most likely an off-the-cuff remark, but I've already seen it repeated 3 or 4 different times, so lol on that.
Based on what I have heard I wouldn't expect more than a couple of posters (2-5ish). I did get the impression that they will be focusing more on their toys and games and tiki stuff, since that is more what the Designer Con Crowd tends to go for. That being said I'm curious to see what all the artists will have in their individual booths.

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am
by Superfro33
toobs wrote:It's not hard to do the math why most people are flying across country to attend this show for the first time.
They also went from a 90,000 sq ft. location last year to 350,000 this year, so the event itself seems pretty keen on increasing their attendance considerably. Not sure you can place that solely at the feet of Mondo people. Stoked to hear you won't care about Mondo at the show though. :lol:

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:43 am
by toobs
Superfro33 wrote:
toobs wrote:It's not hard to do the math why most people are flying across country to attend this show for the first time.
They also went from a 90,000 sq ft. location last year to 350,000 this year, so the event itself seems pretty keen on increasing their attendance considerably. Not sure you can place that solely at the feet of Mondo people. Stoked to hear you won't care about Mondo at the show though. :lol:
Never said that but ok ... A bigger spot for sure plays a part overall, but are u really trying to pull the argument that Mondo fanboys are looking at sq. Footage and going u know wut... I'm gunn go-to DCon this year cause they 3x'd there floor space.
Image

Re: Designer Con 2018

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:11 am
by BENYOUNG20
It’s funny Funko board people are saying pretty much the same argument. Aka all you noobs are just going to flip the funkos. And I’m not on Medicom groups, but guessing people are making the same garbage stuff there. The convention just got way bigger this year with the level of vendors and lots of people that were on the fence before probably decided it was worth it for the flight in now. Heck to me the after party band alone was a huge pull on me deciding to get tickets.