Reprints...how many is too many?

General art-related discussion.
FOODRAP
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:08 pm

to reprint or not to reprint. That is the question.

As for variations of colors. Im ALL FOR IT, IF THEY ARE RELEASED AS PART OF THE ORIGINAL RUN. Case in point MBW. Multiple variants of the same image all released together. Reuse of images old and new, some borrowed some blue... Now that is a whole other story and one he's really kinging it at. Now would I mind it if BANKSY reprinted some older prints? Maybe, maybe not. but what I DO MIND is the WCP making reprinted BANKSY images for his own pesonal profit selling them on ebay. and some of the holier than thou members on dot info who are the self proclaimed banksy know it alls, defending their purchases of banksy copies (fakes) and framing out the numbers and fronting like they own said print. Imagine paying for UV conservation glass and acid free mats etc for a fugazi... LMAO :hanging:

Buy what you like, if you paid x amount of dollars for something then that was the price you were willing to pay. If an artist reprints the image at a later time and you find that to be a violation of FAITH, TRUST or whatever you wanna call it when you purchase something you waited all day, week, month, year for and then all your work is thrown away with either a call to the printer or some silly ideas after some bud with the buds, then start thinking about what you want to buy and what you dont want to buy.

I for one will continue to buy W'everTF I please and choose to do with the little bit of scratch i got. And if I choose to resell a print to buy another print, or buy some kicks, fix my car, smoke that sheeit in the air and or W"everTF I choose to do with it, Once that shieet is sold, that sheeit is sold. Imagine a man that breathes the same air as me trying to tell me what to do with my paper..

Carry on ladies
Baker
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:37 pm

DidYouSeeMeEscaping wrote: He alienates some collectors, but meets the demand of others. Its a trade off that benefits him and those without the print, while damaging his relationship with some of those who buy the 1st editions. In the end he ends up with more people having his art on their walls, while retaining some of the collectible value as there are only so many editions as opposed to doing an open edition.

It seems like for the most part, people at this point know which artists they should be wary of doing reprints when buying 1st editions at a premium.

Its the artists choice and I doubt the opinions of a handful of posters would do much to sway their opinion, so not much good complaining about it....

but alas it is that time of sunday between the afternoon and evening games with no football to watch so what else is there to do :pint:
So let me ask you a question. Say a print comes out and you miss it on the drop. So you decide to get one in the after market. You end up buying an AP copy on ebay direct from the artist, obviously for a premium cost. And then 9 months later said artist decides to print a second edition of the print, and multiples since then.

Would your response not be, thats some bullshit?

The only people who say "awesome another edition of the same print" are the people who are buying those editions. While everyone else who bought the first or shelled out for one on the aftermarket are left feeling
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:41 pm

the doctor always makes me smile, even in stupid ass threads like this one.
DidYouSeeMeEscaping
Art Connoisseur

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Baker wrote:
So let me ask you a question. Say a print comes out and you miss it on the drop. So you decide to get one in the after market. You end up buying an AP copy on ebay direct from the artist, obviously for a premium cost. And then 9 months later said artist decides to print a second edition of the print, and multiples since then.

Would your response not be, thats some bullshit?

The only people who say "awesome another edition of the same print" are the people who are buying those editions. While everyone else who bought the first or shelled out for one on the aftermarket are left feeling
:lol: great gif

If I paid a premium and then another edition came out down the road for less, yes I would probably be annoyed. But in the end I still have the art I want on my wall, and I'm not enjoying it any less whenever I see it. And that's the artists choice, I'm fairly certain they're intelligent enough to recognize the consequences of their actions. But I just dont see what whining about it now is going to do. Is Tim Doyle going to see this thread and decide he has made a huge mistake and start going around hunting down his 2nd and 3rd edition reprints and destroy them to appease those first edition holders?
rmoore
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:50 pm

I sure am glad I was able to buy the first Harry Potter book for 8 bucks at the bookstore because it was a great read and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

But I never would have gotten to enjoy it if I couldn't buy a reprint, since the first printing goes for thousands of dollars on the aftermarket. So, thanks, JK Rowling, for not letting only a small number of people enjoy your work!
charter
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:05 pm

Tim Doyle should print a million edition of something.
gonzo303
Art Freak

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:14 pm

charter wrote:Tim Doyle should print a million edition of something.
Well to be fair, once all editions are printed, he's damn close to that number.
Same fudge, different drop.
Jesusmalverde
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:28 pm

gonzo303 wrote:
So did Tim piss in your cornflakes or something?
RiotAct
EB Team

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:32 pm

... and then do a 2nd edition anyways :)
Bickel

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:47 pm

I think that it depends on the quality of work, and smaller editions of anything that is reprinted in any kind of variant style; I'm not sure on all of the details of why, but John Baizley put out a Kvelertak OG plus six variations of it in print form, and nobody has ever had a problem with any of those, and none of them have ever decreased to below face value on the aftermarket...but Baizley's awesome, and does killer work. He also probably doesn't do that very often.
Celsius
Flipper

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:49 pm

rmoore wrote:I sure am glad I was able to buy the first Harry Potter book for 8 bucks at the bookstore because it was a great read and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

But I never would have gotten to enjoy it if I couldn't buy a reprint, since the first printing goes for thousands of dollars on the aftermarket. So, thanks, JK Rowling, for not letting only a small number of people enjoy your work!
Come on Russ. This isn't even comparable. One item is advertised and very much claiming to be limited and one isn't. This thread wouldn't even exist if the artists who do reprints just be upfront about it from the start to the potential buyers. Just something as simple as "There is a potential for a second edition if this sells out and there is demand." Or just straight out: "This is an open edition." The problem here is consumers are under the assumption that something is limited, when it is not as limited as they had thought.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
FOODRAP
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:58 pm

Who's Tim Doyle?
charter
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:01 am

Jesusmalverde wrote:
gonzo303 wrote:
So did Tim piss in your cornflakes or something?
Corn flaked are gross.
trarex
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:28 am

bill3.PNG
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
alteridiom
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:37 am

None of this matters if you follow two simple rules:
1) Buy what you like.
2) Only pay what you comfortable paying for said piece of art.
Small town pizza lawyer