Bring back gigposters

General art-related discussion.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:00 am

electrachrome wrote: the movie & pop culture stuff allows the graphic artists to keep food on the table so I'm not opposed to it at all.
as for the the folks this genera has attracted to the site, there are some great ones and a few duds. The good far outweigh the bad. There are several who have added positively to the site and helped foster and control their own communities under the greater umbrella of EB. to them I raise a pint. :pint:
Couldn't agree more.
RiotAct
EB Team

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 am

2012'ers, uniiittteeee
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:02 am

RiotAct wrote:2012'ers, uniiittteeee
here!
That's what she said
finalfilppula
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:03 am

Me ^___^
Moran
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:06 am

I enjoy all animated gifs on this site more than the ones on gigposters.com!
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:14 am

ackirkpatrick wrote:
phishstix101 wrote:The movie collecting craze has allowed me to add to my gig poster collection with less interference at a better price with a few exeptions. The way I look at it is that there is so much interest in the Mondo series that I've been able to snatch up what I really like for a relatively good price!
+1 Picking up Moe/Gov't Mule Emek @ Red Rocks for $60? Emek Ben Harper going for $115!!!!

Point proven about the good old days... Those Gov't Mules sat on the website for well over a year at 30.00. Actually I think it was two years...
I traded rock hound jew a Tool Cyberman and a Ben Harper for a 130.00 Black Death Cab.

Time hasn't been nice to this place... it is what it is.
The more people, the more greed, stupid prints, and fuckheads.
downtown
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:43 am

Both genres will endure.
Both have their cultural engines and followings.
Movies inspire and bond us culturally. So does music and more specifically Live music.
Their spheres of creative influence converge strongly in pop culture, so they're really on essentially the same side.
Pitting them against each other is silly but there are some differences and issues.

In terms of "commercial" art the gig poster scene may be the closest thing to a pure, self sustaining art movement for our times.
It's not monopolized by one entity. It documents an actual cultural event happening in real time with original art. It can start from a local level and expand internationally.
As an art form moving forward I believe it may ultimately eclipse the movie poster trend.

The long term aesthetic advantage the gig poster has over the movie and tv genre is that it's creative impetus is based within the art itself rather than on some preexisting form of media.
Gig poster art hardly ever relies on stock imagery whereas the movie poster almost always relies on some form of licensed, intellectual property created by numerous other creative entities from producers, directors, writers, actors and tiers of supporting art directors.
The other disadvantage of the current movie poster trend is that it essentially emerged from one theatre in one town which still holds a monopoly on the current creative output of the entire genre.
This one business entity while inspiring cannot and should not sustain the genre. The genre itself must expand to be considered a true cultural art movement.
Copy cat theaters and a rash of unlicensed fan art have opened some new debates and done more to drag the genre backwards than forwards, imo.
The basic creative and ethical controversy that sparks the most debate with artists is the licensed or unlicensed redesigning of a movie poster where an original movie poster commissioned by the studio already exists. The irony is that this is essentially the fundamental creative core of the movie poster genre.
Gig posters don't have to answer that question or enter that debate.

I do think the majority of legal/ethical issues will work themselves out in time.
I love gig posters and I also appreciate and collect some of the new movie poster art and pop culture gallery art. Ultimately it's all been good for artists and collectors.
Both genres offer accessible original art and both genres support printmaking. Win win.
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:50 am

downtown wrote:Rational thought
It seems like this thread comes up every month or so, and it's always nice when someone comes into the conversation with a well thought out and well written post. Don't get wrong, I love me some "Movie posters are for retarded philistines," or, "really, you framed an EMEK LMFAO poster? How hard did the people at the framing store laugh at you" posts too, but it's nice when someone puts some thought into their arguments.
That's what she said
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Welcome to EB.
ricv64
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:03 pm

electrachrome wrote: FB kinda killed GP.

I think the official tour series kinda killed off some friendships between gigposter , a sub culture of a subculture , artists
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:07 pm

I really like O'Daniel prints...

Also like that gig prints are a fleeting moment... 2 - 3 hours. They are music history...
Movie posters keep coming. Well after the movie was released. Some may look at it as a respectable endeavor... it's a simple fad money grab.
How many The Shining prints are there going to be?

I agree with downtown... everything except things will work out. :P
I think Lorraine was just talking about the old days of ... I sure miss them.
I am on here a lot less. Maybe that's a good thing.
statik
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:11 pm

Fade into the facade.

In other words. You like what you like. Who gives a fudge?

Whether you have a year, two, three, or even more over me means nothing to me. There's no way to control that, things happen that prevent such things from happening in the way that they do. We're all here so I suggest you just get use to it and accept it for what it is. You never know if that person you discourage could be the one hooking you up when you seek it the most.

In the end it's just paper, PAPER!
drymount your sig!
trarex
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:14 pm

This too shall pass.
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Let's get this headed in the right direction.

What makes an iconic gigposter?
ratm
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:20 pm

ackirkpatrick wrote:Let's get this headed in the right direction.

What makes an iconic gigposter?

Subtle reference to gig location, evocation of the feelings the music instills, great use of typography, and looks good.

Case in point my favorite