Bring back gigposters

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
jamesgunter
Art Expert
Posts: 5237
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Birmingham, Al
Contact:

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:54 am

im not trying to argue with you, im just saying that everyones experience is a little different...

ive been collecting gig posters for almost 20 yrs. now and ive NEVER once had the first problem of ANY kind... purchased hundreds of posters, maybe thousands and never been screwed.. never had something not show up.. never had something misrepresented... and then i see all these 'i got screwed...' threads and they are all about movie posters and they are all recent...

like i said, maybe this is just my experience. i didnt mean anything bad by my comments...
Bickel

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:21 am

jamesgunter wrote:im not trying to argue with you, im just saying that everyones experience is a little different...

ive been collecting gig posters for almost 20 yrs. now and ive NEVER once had the first problem of ANY kind... purchased hundreds of posters, maybe thousands and never been screwed.. never had something not show up.. never had something misrepresented... and then i see all these 'i got screwed...' threads and they are all about movie posters and they are all recent...

like i said, maybe this is just my experience. i didnt mean anything bad by my comments...
Man, if you've never been screwed, you're lucky. I read all of the callout threads I see, and all of the warning threads...there's that kellum thread, some thread about someone named kevron, some dude named rondon who never ships his fudge out (and he's an artist, if I'm correct), tons of major bands who have huge distribution and yet they have people who don't know how to roll posters handling their merch for them - some of the biggest callout threads I've read in here were about gig prints.

I don't think you mean anything bad with your post, but I would have to say that I definitely disagree if you're trying to tell me that the gigprint scene was perfect before the movie poster people showed up, and I know there are other people in here who know way more about this than I do. If I knew them better, I'd ask the mods to comment on that, but they probably have more to say than they really want to.
User avatar
dearmrecho
Art Expert
Posts: 2765
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:04 am
Location: Hayfield, Derbyshire, UK.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:26 am

ChefFerrari wrote:
dearmrecho wrote:
jamesgunter wrote: my thing is.. it really was a great place before the mondo/movie poster craze. with that came a new breed of people.
So we brought down the neighbourhood when we moved in did we? :lol:
There have been more cases of people getting ripped off since the whole mondo thing and all the newbs came here

Some of us still carry on the Gigposter flag
Before you read below - this isn't a direct 'go' at you ChefFerrari... it's meant more generally.

Simple equation: more members = more problems... it's a microcosm of any society.
More crime in the city than in a village... but if crime were actually that much of a problem nobody would be here.

I can see that there's a view of EB as a gold rush town where it was nice and quiet and everyone knew everyone then someone shouted "there's Mondo in them thar hills" and before you know it towns full of strangers and your women and children ain't safe on the streets at night no more! It might come as a surprise that a good number of those "newbs" are pretty sound people and are here to enjoy the view, to take part and contribute to the community. But if you're going to treat new members with suspicion and derision and broadly paint them as thieves and hustlers - how does that benefit EB? How does that in anyway try to preserve the sense of community that you are mourning the 'apparent' loss of? Considering the number of people here, I don't think it's as bad as you think it is.

Talk to your new neighbours with their strange food and weird spellings... either that or rally your mates and have a public burning of Adventure Time prints in the town square. :D

Just as a postscript - I got screwed on my very first deal I tried to do on here. I got my money back eventually but at the same time I just put it down to bad luck. Since then I've had no problems even with brand new members.
User avatar
LeeKaye
Art Expert
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:50 am

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:33 am

dearmrecho wrote: Talk to your new neighbours with their strange food and weird spellings... either that or rally your mates and have a public burning of Adventure Time prints in the town square. :D
Nothing strange about a dish called Toad-In-The-Hole.

And colour HAS a 'u' !

;)
User avatar
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 15402
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Ithaca, NY

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:03 am

Bickel wrote: I don't think you mean anything bad with your post, but I would have to say that I definitely disagree if you're trying to tell me that the gigprint scene was perfect before the movie poster people showed up, and I know there are other people in here who know way more about this than I do. If I knew them better, I'd ask the mods to comment on that, but they probably have more to say than they really want to.
If you've ever modded on ANY forum, you'd know your last statement is pretty solidly always a truth. And generally speaking, it's why we have to be good at biting our tongues and keeping mum on a fair number of subjects.

I still love my gigposters - they account for at least 90% of things I buy, sell, and even still occasionally pursue. But I'll freely admit to dabbling in art prints and movie stuff too, but they both seem to have a much harder time sticking around for the long haul by comparison. And of all the things framed in the house, I think that only about 25% are "art prints" and half of those are Dan McCarthys - I consider him more of a "fine art artist" as opposed to a "gigposter artist who does some art prints" (the other hanging art prints include stuff by Hammerpress and Guy Burwell).
Tra la la la la...
User avatar
danebp
Art Expert
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:11 am

I'm new to these parts, having only started collecting at the beginning of the year. Now I have 250+ posters/prints (I haven't sold one yet) with probably 90% being gig posters. Now most of them are acquired through EB instead of eBay. I have not had a single problem with an EB transaction yet.

So perhaps I'm an anomalous case of a new gig poster collector who loves music and art, doesn't flip, thinks EB is great, and has nothing but positive things to say about the members I've interacted with, many of which have been overly generous with their time in answering my questions or giving me some collecting guidance. But in my book, EB rocks and I just tune out all the "noise" from the movie poster fray that I am not much into.
User avatar
earlgreytoast
Art Expert
Posts: 8421
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 am

ChefFerrari wrote:
There have been more cases of people getting ripped off since the whole mondo thing and all the newbs came here
I think that's a sheer case of numbers more than anything else. I don't know the exact stats but my assumption is that there have been more and more members here each year. (BTW, I'd love to know how many members there were at the end of each year - Yamar can you hook up that stat?) That means there are naturally going to be more transactions and trades and more chances for things to go awry. Callout threads get a lot of attention but it's actually pretty shocking that there aren't more considering how much paper gets traded via this forum.

And add me to the list of people that have done over 50 trades/buys/sells without a hitch. :clap:

Ebeans may have changed for the worse over the past few years but it's still pretty drymounting awesome!
User avatar
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert
Posts: 4456
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:26 pm
Location: Southsea, UK

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 am

Sorry for contributing to the demise of the website, without Mondo I would probably have never found this place. I kinda like it here, most of the time.
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
:ziggi:
User avatar
Philpenn
Art Expert
Posts: 3654
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 am
Location: Keystone Country.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:33 am

I like gig prints, art prints, and movie prints. But only movie prints from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.
imcoolerthanu50
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:42 am

I agree with a gig poster subforum. Im a technically a noob here, but Despite my join date, I was here in '07 for a short while. I had a friend in Birmingham who had a huge collection of framed gig posters. I went down to visit for a white stripes show, and he introduced me to this world. I was a broke college kid at the time, so I couldn't really afford to collect, but I still hung around here for a few months looking at art. 5 years later, and this January I officially begin collecting. I'd picked u some stuff at shows, but never pursued prints for shows I hadn't been to until now. When I came back to EB I was shocked at the movie poster scene taking over. I remember this place being a lot different, but I still enjoy coming here, I just don't go into mondo threads.
User avatar
ironjaiden
Art Expert
Posts: 7980
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:57 pm
Location: Hollarado
Contact:

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:48 am

If only there were another website that specialized in gig posters.... they'd have a forum and a marketplace like here but it'd be about gig posters. What would you call such a place? :lol:




I kid I kid, I love you crabby drymounts :heart:
User avatar
suchanoo
Art Expert
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:48 pm
Location: UK

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:48 am

danebp wrote:I'm new to these parts, having only started collecting at the beginning of the year. Now I have 250+ posters/prints (I haven't sold one yet) with probably 90% being gig posters. Now most of them are acquired through EB instead of eBay. I have not had a single problem with an EB transaction yet.

So perhaps I'm an anomalous case of a new gig poster collector who loves music and art, doesn't flip, thinks EB is great, and has nothing but positive things to say about the members I've interacted with, many of which have been overly generous with their time in answering my questions or giving me some collecting guidance. But in my book, EB rocks and I just tune out all the "noise" from the movie poster fray that I am not much into.
So you've bought 1 poster a day for the past 8 months?
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
User avatar
Philpenn
Art Expert
Posts: 3654
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 am
Location: Keystone Country.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 am

ironjaiden wrote:If only there were another website that specialized in gig posters.... they'd have a forum and a marketplace like here but it'd be about gig posters. What would you call such a place?
I know where you're going , but EB does seem light years better. Mayhaps I don't even know what I'm doing, but I've never received a reply to a single PM there.
User avatar
ironjaiden
Art Expert
Posts: 7980
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:57 pm
Location: Hollarado
Contact:

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:52 am

jamesgunter wrote:my sandbox!
Dude I keep meaning to send you something. Email me your address, you'll dig it :pint:
User avatar
ricv64
Art Expert
Posts: 7380
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:00 am
Location: lost and asleep on mazn great highway
Contact:

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:04 am

Bickel wrote:
some dude named rondon who never ships his fudge out (and he's an artist, if I'm correct).

Rodon is a futbal player who moved to Moscow

Image
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
Post Reply