Mike Mitchell's Thread of Amazing Things

General art-related discussion.
lujborg
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:05 pm

Rebafeind wrote:the name of the piece is meaningless.
the name of the piece IS part of the context. not meaningless at all.
I'm here for the oil palm breeding (international society member, since 2003)
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:05 pm

As someone pointed out earlier, I'm going to buy a bunch of these and hand-finish them with Churchill. Except he will be skull-drymounting him.
finneganm
Art Freak

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:06 pm

I'm embarrassed that I was a part of this conversation. Mods feel free to delete my account and erase all my posts.
That's what she said
whl10
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:06 pm

finneganm wrote:I'm embarrassed that I was a part of this conversation. Mods feel free to delete my account and erase all my posts.
finish your giveaway first, SonicDeathMonkey
Rebafeind
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:07 pm

lujborg wrote:
Rebafeind wrote:the name of the piece is meaningless.
the name of the piece IS part of the context. not meaningless at all.
sorry but when an image is on a wall, or in a flat file in eb's case, please tell me where the name is displayed? i seem to just see the artwork
dsanacore
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:09 pm

Going to try and steer this towards an intelligent conversation. This ought to end well.

So here are a few points that numerous people seem to take issue with. I'll try to address them as best I can from my perspective and opinion.

Mike is an asshole! His responses on twitter, FB and social media make him even more of an asshole. We raise concerns and he mocks us and is being insensitive. drymount Mike, Supers suck!

Ok, so a lot of people seem upset by Mike's nonchalant attitude. You're offended and he's not taking you seriously. That's a legitimate concern and I would have to agree with you.

Oh, wait. I would have agreed with you if EB, PB&T and FB hadn't turned into torch wielding lynch mobs from the very beginning. Mike originally teased the image without context provided that it was a part of a SUPER DICKS serious. This was a mistake, he should have provided that context with the teaser. However instead of discussing why Mike would draw Hitler like a group of adults discussing art, a huge percentage of you jumped on the opportunity to put pitchfork and torch in hand. There was fudge talking, name calling and accusations. People were listing every little thing they disliked about Mike from his shipping practices to the fact that they thought his art was shitty (Which, I might add, is all COMPLETELY UNRELATED to the topic at hand and if you did this you're a giant asshole. It's fine to not like his art or be unhappy with his shipping. However using it as ammunition in this debate is just immature).

Kindness begets kindness and there was none of that to be had here. Instead I saw a lot of people with personal grudges against Mike jumping on an opportunity to twist something he'd done and desperately use it against him. Should he have supplied better context initially? Absolutely. However this group, EB, or wherever else, lost any hope of a polite and level headed responses from him after the plethora of attacks against himself we saw here.

I'm honestly disgusted by a lot of the responses I saw here. I completely understand that this has offended some people. IT'S OK TO BE OFFENDED BY THIS. I don't think many people are saying otherwise. However, attacking the artist on a personal level because you're offended is NOT OK. Saying people who aren't offended by this are sad, naive, ignorant, or unaffected by the Holocaust is NOT OK.

So many of the people rallying against this seem so upset that they're unable to form a response without lashing out at either Mike or those who disagree with them.

Reading through PB&T it's far worse there than on EB and honestly, I'd be ashamed to meet a lot of the people who were commenting on this. I'd be embarrassed to shake their hand and would never share a drink with them.

Anyways, new topic.

He's portraying Hitler as a superhero. The context of it being a SUPER dick isn't obvious enough. He should have stamped it on Hitler's forehead!

This is art. The visual kind. It's pictures. Mike isn't writing a term paper or a novel. How many other prints do you own where the context of the piece is written in a little blurb at the bottom?

Yes, as I mentioned earlier I believe Mike made a mistake by not supplying the context when he first released the teaser. However he supplied it shortly thereafter and thus it made perfect sense. "Oh, Hitler WAS a giant Dick. Haha, OK, I get it. That's funny!" Now knowing this context, and knowing Mitchell's art, any reasonable person could conclude that Mitchell is saying that all of the characters in this series are bad people.

Now, if you were UNFAMILIAR with Mitchell's art and you saw this, then yes, it would indeed look like a picture of Hitler characterized in a strong or superhero'ish manner. However this is why CONTEXT matters. You can't expect to look at something, especially art, and understand the context if you're uneducated upon the subject (Which in this case is the artwork of Mike Mitchell). These were created with the intend of being seen and purchased by people who are familiar with Mike Mitchell's art. With that and the context he provided it's clearly apparent that this is a depiction of "The biggest dicks in history."
Last edited by dsanacore on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
alittle
Art Freak

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:10 pm

finneganm wrote:Mods feel free to delete my account and erase all my posts.
ISO: EB suicide machine
Particle
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:11 pm

Rebafeind wrote: Also i don't believe anyone in this thread (at least since i have been reading it) said the holocaust and the loss of those 11 million people are the most important 11 million people in the world
And nobody has said 90% of the things you've claimed them to have said. Doesn't stop you from thinking you heard them.

That's why this is going on forever. One side thinks they're hearing "the Holocaust didn't matter" when in fact what is being said is, "This print is stupid, but it's just a print. Move on with your life and stop buying MItchell if it hurts you so much"
Rebafeind
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:12 pm

anyways, i have said all i am going to say.

I was offended by MM's depiction of Hitler as a Super Hero.

I am sorry that some of you are offended that i am offended.

back to not giving a fudge what MM does.
Particle
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:13 pm

Rebafeind wrote:I am sorry that some of you are offended that i am offended.
I accept your apology. That is big of you.
Trungtastic
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:14 pm

I can't believe so many people that hate mm even post in this thread. Sounds like a very fulfilling life
Particle
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:17 pm

Anyway.

The Edminston Collab looks drymounting awesome. Fingers crossed the market is not that competitive after all this hooplah
ryanfromindiana
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Particle wrote:Anyway.

The Edminston Collab looks drymounting awesome. Fingers crossed the market is not that competitive after all this hooplah
LOL! It will be. I've seen people talk about how much they despise him here shake his hand and buy all his prints at his shows. :D
I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.
newyorkjoe5
Art Enthusiast

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:28 pm

Bunch of grown men arguing which cartoon drawing is cool to hang on the wall. :allhail: :poo:
jesseindisguise
Art Expert

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:29 pm

Michelangelo. Picasso. Pollock. Mitchell.

The tradition continues...
Blake wrote:Always Be Tubing.