Mike Mitchell's Thread of Amazing Things

General art-related discussion.
tweetick
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:54 pm

I'm not against artists making money. If a portion goes to the ACLU or Planned Parenthood, that's cool. If it goes toward Mike's beer budget, well bully for him for keeping his work effective and relevant.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:10 pm

Anyone have a Super Hitler for trade? Looking for one for my set.
sirmitchell
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 pm

fantasticninja wrote:I know I'm coming off as cynical, but what a golden opportunity to sell this X45 apparel. I'm hoping that a lot of the proceeds are going toward something useful and not just lining someone's pockets.
It is cynical, but If I can be perfectly honest, the amount I've earned from multiple days of having that Threadless shop, is still less than my hourly rate. I'm more into the idea of spreading the icon, and Threadless took the risk of putting it in their shop, so I'm down with that. If you buy something from that shop, the majority of the money goes to Threadless.

Combine that with pins, stickers and the print in my shop and you still have less than one Fat Bird. IMO it's a non issue, especially when contrasted with having a literal white supremacist in the highest office. When all is said and done, I'll find some use for the money, but that's not really anyone's business.

(sidenote, do you play PUBG? I saw a fantasticninja yesterday)
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:18 pm

What's yer hourly rate? #asking4afriend
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:22 pm

sirmitchell wrote:
fantasticninja wrote:I know I'm coming off as cynical, but what a golden opportunity to sell this X45 apparel. I'm hoping that a lot of the proceeds are going toward something useful and not just lining someone's pockets.
It is cynical, but If I can be perfectly honest, the amount I've earned from multiple days of having that Threadless shop, is still less than my hourly rate. I'm more into the idea of spreading the icon, and Threadless took the risk of putting it in their shop, so I'm down with that. If you buy something from that shop, the majority of the money goes to Threadless.

Combine that with pins, stickers and the print in my shop and you still have less than one Fat Bird. IMO it's a non issue, especially when contrasted with having a literal white supremacist in the highest office. When all is said and done, I'll find some use for the money, but that's not really anyone's business.

:clap: by the way how long is the print going to be up?
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:30 pm

I still don't see how any of it is an issue when Mike still made a high-res of the image completely available for anybody to use. Just saves the work with the t-shirts being available, or the print.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Cragars
Art Expert

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:37 pm

I like this image and, really, any poster that goes after Trump but I could never wear or display anything that's even slightly related to him. :?
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:40 pm

jkw3000 wrote:I still don't see how any of it is an issue when Mike still made a high-res of the image completely available for anybody to use. Just saves the work with the t-shirts being available, or the print.
This. He gave it to the masses for free to use in whatever way people want. I think he can decide how he handles the money he makes (or just recoups) from a timed print sale. I don't get the constant questioning of how artists decide to use the payments they get from art THEY MADE.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Creates image months ago > no one says boo
Image catches on > I hope he's not lining his pockets

Is being an artist the only profession where people question what you do with your paycheck?

"Hey, love your resume! You should come work for me for 5 days per week and I'll pay you for 4 days. Sound good?"
I'm not someone else.
tweetick
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:06 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:Creates image months ago > no one says boo
Image catches on > I hope he's not lining his pockets

Is being an artist the only profession where people question what you do with your paycheck?

"Hey, love your resume! You should come work for me for 5 days per week and I'll pay you for 4 days. Sound good?"
Amen to all of this! None of us are required to justify our incomes.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:08 pm

GoBluePanic wrote: Is being an artist the only profession where people question what you do with your paycheck?
Nope, my wife and friends question why I spend mine on paper :P
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:09 pm

sirmitchell wrote:

That's fair. I wasn't trying to come off as getting into your business because I know you're more for the message. So I'm happy you responded back. So thank you. And no I don't, never have, so that's weird. I do have my PSN name as FantasticNinja, and have had it since the OG Xbox days. Keep on rockin :pint:
agr719
Art Expert

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:12 pm

jmagee87 wrote:
GoBluePanic wrote: Is being an artist the only profession where people question what you do with your paycheck?
Nope, my wife and friends question why I spend mine on paper :P
Dude, what the hell, Jesse?

:lol:
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
sirmitchell
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:25 pm

chevyav53 wrote:
sirmitchell wrote:

:clap: by the way how long is the print going to be up?
I might pull it tonight or tomorrow.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Pins popping back up?