Art Expert

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:34 pm

RobotLoggia
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 pm

Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm glad Tracie posted that. Looks like we have similar processes when creating posters. Different styles, but the technical methods sound the same.

Find/create a reference. Solidify a layout. Analyze shadows and highlights. Block everything in. Spend days and days building your vectors in Illustrator. If you want it done right there are really no short-cuts and, as she said, Live Trace is kind of a useless piece of crap unless you're tracing a low-detail b/w drawing.

As for reference shots, for older movies you really have to use what you can find and/or capture. I've spent hours hunting the web for stuff and have even stumbled across photos used by people like Struzan and Peak for their posters. Some are painted exactly the same, but that doesn't diminish their work. Not for me, anyway. The technical skill is still there.
James White • Artist and Designer
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram
Celsius
Flipper

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Did she still trace over the image (not using Live Trace) or did she she draw it without tracing?
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
KSUvet
Art Expert

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:02 pm

I just looked through the thread posted above. She's not going to make many fans around here taking shots at Ansin.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
skis007
Art Expert

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:05 pm

KSUvet wrote:I just looked through the thread posted above. She's not going to make many fans around here taking shots at Ansin.
I hate fan boys.
Cragars
Art Expert

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:06 pm

She should have changed the colors to something like blue and red to make it original. :P

Source material can seem mundane, it's all about the final product.
Last edited by Cragars on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:08 pm

who?
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 pm

skis007 wrote:
KSUvet wrote:I just looked through the thread posted above. She's not going to make many fans around here taking shots at Ansin.
I hate fan boys.
Are you Tracie Ching? :?
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:13 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:who?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:13 pm

Celsius wrote:Did she still trace over the image (not using Live Trace) or did she she draw it without tracing?
Can't say. That depends on her process really.

But speaking from experience, a part of my own process in the early stages is painting over an image in Photoshop to block things in. Then adding or subtracting my paints to figure out where the lit areas and shading ultimately land. It's kind of like molding the image, for lack of a better word. It's strange because we get the final image, even though there are 200 little steps and phases before that which we'll never see.

So I wouldn't say her work as tracing because it's too detailed. That's just my thought.
James White • Artist and Designer
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:14 pm

Celsius wrote:Did she still trace over the image (not using Live Trace) or did she she draw it without tracing?
I think that's what it comes down to. I don't think horkey traced this but it's obviously the same image as the photo. A great many artists use reference material and whether the original source should be disclosed is an entirely separate debate from the tracing/drawing question.

ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:16 pm

Some people on this site have unhealthy love affairs with Ansin, Stout and Moss. I love their work too, but people need to remember they don't walk on water.
Celsius
Flipper

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:21 pm

jrsheppa wrote:Some people on this site have unhealthy love affairs with Ansin, Stout and Moss. I love their work too, but people need to remember they don't walk on water.
They also don't trace.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
RobotLoggia
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:24 pm

jrsheppa wrote:Some people on this site have unhealthy love affairs with Ansin, Stout and Moss. I love their work too, but people need to remember they don't walk on water.
I actually did see Moss walk on water. I said, "Moss, how do you rock so hard?" He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich. #truestory