Tracie Ching: I wanted to address a particular accusation

General art-related discussion.
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:54 am

Celsius wrote:
Once again, the reference material isn't the issue here. No one even gives any care about that. It's the tracing. We all know where that clock picture came from just like we all know where some portraits come from. Photos. Stills. But they for sure do not trace off the screen or onto tracing paper. Not all our favorite artists do this. Not one of them is tracing out a photo and then trying to make money off it. at least no one well respected.
I think many people have a misunderstanding of how the sausage is made here. And look- I"m not defending this print. It's definitely not my favorite thing in the world.
I stepped in because she was accused of dogging on Ansin. She was not.
Lots of artists work in different ways. Some totally free-hand everything (dudes like Jay Ryan) and some guys work mostly digital (Like Olly Moss). Some artists make these big collage posters where actors faces are in the print, or a car, or whatever. Does it really matter if it's freehanded and then scanned in, or is it somehow 'lesser' if it's photos drawn over in photoshop?

I'd like to separate the discussion here from whether you like Tracie Ching or not- because that's irrelevant.

I do want to have this discussion in a clear and rational tone, btw. I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just curious.
Googscarley
Flipper

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:54 am

YORKSHIREpuddin wrote:Tracie by name tracie by nature.
:rolling:
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:59 am

hax0n wrote:All artists use references in some shape or form to build their piece but this particular piece isn't art... It's a direct copy of an image and sold as art.

Mozart made music and so does LMFAO. Martin Ansin makes art and so does Tim Doyle.
Hax0n- do you see what I'm trying to do here? I'm having a discussion like an adult, without resorting to personal attacks. It's important to learn this. This is how grown ups talk. I realize this might be a new idea to you, but you should look into it.

See, no personal insults at all.
hax0n
Art Expert

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:06 am

alexfugazi wrote:
hax0n wrote:All artists use references in some shape or form to build their piece but this particular piece isn't art... It's a direct copy of an image and sold as art.

Mozart made music and so does LMFAO. Martin Ansin makes art and so does Tim Doyle.
Hax0n- do you see what I'm trying to do here? I'm having a discussion like an adult, without resorting to personal attacks. It's important to learn this. This is how grown ups talk. I realize this might be a new idea to you, but you should look into it.

By your response I see that you agree that LMFAO makes awful music.

electrachrome wrote:None of us who are responsible for this website really have any idea how it works
twilight77
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:17 am

Not sure anyone here cares what hax0n thinks. They probably only care to know what hax0n's other aliases were in this forum.
hirschy75 wrote:And twilight you can kiss my ass.
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:20 am

hey hax0ns cool maybe being mean to tim but i'll defend his right to say it :D and thats his only acnt btw
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:49 am

I will say that this is derailing the thread and besides the point. Or maybe not-
It really doesn't matter to me whether people like my art or not. That's a matter of taste, and is purely subjective. I actually really like criticism, when it's valid. When it's just simple name calling though- it's just a waste of everyone's time and energy.

I am trying to have a easy and rational discussion about how art gets made and for that I get attacked. In a thread that is already vitriolic and abusive. How does this in any way make anyone's day better, or educate people, or further the discussion?
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:00 am

Tim i really like some of you art I was blown away by the unreal estate show you did earlier this year i would hang everything from that show. thats not to say i like everything of urs i wasnt digging the 5th element print at all. i really dont like all the 2nd edtions or endless AP runs though. which is where i think alot of hating comes from. part of the reason this hobby is fun is the fact that thr are only so many copies. otherwise lets all just tack up movie posters like we did when we were younger and stop spending 20$ 30$ 50$ + dollars for limited pieces of art.
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:06 am

GiantBoyDective wrote:Tim i really like some of you art I was blown away by the unreal estate show you did earlier this year i would hang everything from that show. thats not to say i like everything of urs i wasnt digging the 5th element print at all. i really dont like all the 2nd edtions or endless AP runs though. part of the reason this hobby is fun is the fact that thr are only so many copies. otherwise lets all just tack up movie posters like we did when we were younger and stop spending 20$ 30$ 50$ + dollars for limited pieces of art.
Thank you. To be fair- I don't endlessly run AP editions. My prints have AP's but that's over-runs the printing, usually. I understand some people don't like further editions, but that is a separate issue from the artwork. I'd like to have that discussion someday, but not in this thread- it's angry enough as it is (!)
But yeah- I don't even like every print I make. I like 'em when I'm making them, but sometimes later I don't dig a few. Some I like a lot more later on. But I'm sure most artists feel this way.

Thank you for being real.
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:16 am

ur welcome but i would like to have that discussion someday as i'm curious about some things as im sure alot of other people are too. i think some of it is that the APs arent numbered i really dont like not knowing exactly how many copies of something thr are of a print and of the two APs of urs i have Banana flambe (numbered out of 10 AP) & 10 cents gets you nuts (unnumbered AP)? why arent all of your APs numbered no worries if you dont want to answer here but start a thread or something just to clear the air with people that may have thr facts wrong
Image #trollcru
alteridiom
Art Expert

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:06 am

This thread is crazy. Lots of experts on the artistic process of the EB favorties, Moss/Stout/Ansin/Etc. I'd rather hear them speak for themselves much like Tim has stepped and done.
Last edited by alteridiom on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Small town pizza lawyer
Aphex139
Art Expert

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:20 am

GiantBoyDective wrote:ur welcome but i would like to have that discussion someday as i'm curious about some things as im sure alot of other people are too. i think some of it is that the APs arent numbered i really dont like not knowing exactly how many copies of something thr are of a print and of the two APs of urs i have Banana flambe (numbered out of 10 AP) & 10 cents gets you nuts (unnumbered AP)? why arent all of your APs numbered no worries if you dont want to answer here but start a thread or something just to clear the air with people that may have thr facts wrong
There's a Tim Doyle thread for such discussions, as this one's about Tracie Ching.

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 32&t=40147
ImageImageImageImage
DickButt
Art Expert

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:26 am

All this thread reminds me of is Chasing Amy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epHCMiCtt3M
finneganm
Art Freak

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 am

That's what she said
Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:22 pm

alteridiom wrote:Lots of experts on the artistic process of the EB favorties, Moss/Stout/Ansin/Etc. I'd rather hear them speak for themselves much like Tim has stepped and done.
Agreed.

The artistic process is a sprawling one. It differs from person to person. Unless you're there during the design and conceptual to see the steps involved (or hear it straight from them), it's impossible to claim to know exactly how any artist works.
Last edited by Signalnoise on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James White • Artist and Designer
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram